Nissan, Ghosn Fined $16 Million...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by nthach
Sayjac said:
If Nissan breaks away from Renault, they'll have a hard time finding funding. Toyota and Mazda are in cahoots with MUFG, Mazda being part of the Sumitomo keiretsu and that major Japanese bank was formed by a merger of the financial arms between the Mitsubishi and Sumitomo groups.

MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) has plenty of cash to help fund Nissan/Mitsubishi. They are one of the biggest companies in Japan.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by nthach
Sayjac said:
If Nissan breaks away from Renault, they'll have a hard time finding funding. Toyota and Mazda are in cahoots with MUFG, Mazda being part of the Sumitomo keiretsu and that major Japanese bank was formed by a merger of the financial arms between the Mitsubishi and Sumitomo groups.

MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) has plenty of cash to help fund Nissan/Mitsubishi. They are one of the biggest companies in Japan.

Does this mean that this division(MHI) is where Mitsubishi is going to snatch the monies from?
I mean, they're HUGE! But, they only own about 8% of Mitsubishi Vehicles as where NISSAN owns ~34%...unless the info that I read was old!

As point of clarification. Recent quotes above about "funding", including my member name, not mine. Rather it's member nthach reply with incomplete deletion of extraneous snippet.

As for funding, Nissan took a controlling 34% stake in Mitsubishi Motors in 2016 (in wake of Mitsu fuel economy scandal) thus making Mitsu a part of the Alliance. In the Alliance, Renault has a ~43% fully voting stake in Nissan. As a result Renault basically calls the shots in the Alliance. As the May FCA merger talks confirm, it's Renault currently still leading the Alliance. Renault Senard is trying convince Nissan CEO of the benefits including increased economies of scale a merger would bring. As noted though, since the May talks no new information has been released. Perhaps talks have broken down or just proceeding slowly.

Time will tell, but at this point imo I don't foresee Nissan and by extention Mitsu going back to all Japan controlled car manufacturers.

Understood!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Sayjac
As point of clarification. Recent quotes above about "funding", including my member name, not mine. Rather it's member nthach reply with incomplete deletion of extraneous snippet.

As for funding, Nissan took a controlling 34% stake in Mitsubishi Motors in 2016 (in wake of Mitsu fuel economy scandal) thus making Mitsu a part of the Alliance. In the Alliance, Renault has a ~43% fully voting stake in Nissan. As a result Renault basically calls the shots in the Alliance. As the May FCA merger talks confirm, it's Renault currently still leading the Alliance. Renault Senard is trying convince Nissan CEO of the benefits including increased economies of scale a merger would bring. As noted though, since the May talks no new information has been released. Perhaps talks have broken down or just proceeding slowly.

Time will tell, but at this point imo I don't foresee Nissan and by extention Mitsu going back to all Japan controlled car manufacturers.

This is spot on. The big gorilla in the room is the French government. They have been putting pressure on Japan to get Nissan to toe the line. Their hope is that the new Nissan CEO will be more amenable to Renault control. Right now everything is in a state of flux.

Maybe the way around this is for them to revive the Datsun brand and do a end run? With the ever changing automobile market and upcoming efforts towards mobility Nissan Mitsubishi needs to make some wholesale changes. The Renault French anchor may not let them.

Originally Posted by Sayjac

The only truly Japanese save for production bases are Toyota(Mazda/Subaru) and Honda. Nissan will have to submit to Renault IMO, I don't think the Mitsubishi or Hitachi conglomerates will bail them out this time. Suzuki and Isuzu were owned by GM, GM also controlled Subaru and now Subaru and Suzuki are under the Toyota Group. Ford might have been the best thing to happen to Mazda but they too are in the tentacles of Toyota.

Save for Toyota's Hino and formerly GM-conrolled Isuzu who also is partly owned by Toyota the Japanese sold their truck and heavy-duty diesel makers to the Europeans. Volvo owns Nissan Diesel, MHI/MMC let Daimler take control of Mitsubishi Fuso.

IMO, Hyundai should buy out Mitsu Motors. After all, Hyundais up until the early 2000s were all heavily Mitsu-based.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
My Nissans were the best cars I ever owned.

I want to see the Japanese cars start being made in Japan again with all Japanese parts.

I grew up with Nissan since the 80s. I've had both JDM, USDM, & Mexican produced Nissans, and honestly all have been great. They're cheap to maintain, and amazing value when buying used. My next car has a huge probability of being Nissan, probably a 350z Nismo, if I can get my hands on a nice one. Even my Dad's 2008 Sentra CVT 2.0, which has been lamented by many, has been rock solid (we do change the CVT fluid every 30k). Bought with 8k miles, currently at 115k miles without any issues or odd noises.

Last year I got a mint 2009 Altima sedan with a manual gearbox, with 51k miles, looks basically brand new, for about $5k lol. It's no less reliable than any Accord or Camry, looks great, and pretty quick for being economical (0-60 7.2sec, 32mpg).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
It's good that you've had respectable results with Nissan, enough to keep you coming back. Since subject broached, otoh, I cannot say the same as described HERE. So while there is a Rogue in the extended family stable now, title in the link still stands for me.

Nissan was so good in the 1990s. I was a huge fan. Then Ghosn happened, and nissan became "profitable" (lower quality). Now they are driven by incentives and subprime lending. Who knows why they lagged so far behind on their truck development. Huge lost opportunity in the USA with the Xterra cancellation.
It seems they only car about getting just another risky buyer out the door in a [altima sentra rogue].

Originally Posted by dareo
Nissan was so good in the 1990s. I was a huge fan. Then Ghosn happened, and nissan became "profitable" (lower quality). Now they are driven by incentives and subprime lending. Who knows why they lagged so far behind on their truck development. Huge lost opportunity in the USA with the Xterra cancellation.
It seems they only car about getting just another risky buyer out the door in a [altima sentra rogue].

Nissan has depended on fleet sales for revenue lately - and I've been lots of them used as Ubers or Lyfts displacing the Prius and Camry Hybrid. Subprime lending is nothing new - but with the rise of rideshare, dealers in my area have been wheeling and dealing to potential drivers who don't have good credit.

Uber themselves had a program called Xchange Leasing that almost always had used Nissans for lease to their drivers. Lots of those leases were to subprime lenders. A driver said he paid $200+ a week just for his car, a used Sentra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Bumping this thread for news breaking this evening.

Carlos Ghosn has left Japan and is apparently in Beirut Lebanon. He is supposed to be in Japan according to his bail agreement. How is got out is another question but a fake passport is being suggested.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20191231_12/
lol.gif
You can't make this stuff up. I don't know the bond amount in Japan, or what kind of extradition treaty there may be but one thing for sure, if Ghosn can avoid going back to Japan, I'd imagine he never wants see that island again.

As Danny DeVito might say a 9 Milllion dollar bail/bond. And according to information I just heard, no extradition treaty between Japan and Lebanon. Looks like the bird flew the coop.

I want to see the Japanese cars start being made in Japan again with all Japanese parts.

Buster and others, including me Love our Frontiers. I admit they are different animals though.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Bumping this thread for news breaking this evening.

Carlos Ghosn has left Japan and is apparently in Beirut Lebanon. He is supposed to be in Japan according to his bail agreement. How is got out is another question but a fake passport is being suggested.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20191231_12/

My guess is that somebody in the Japanese gov't got paid off to look the other way as Ghosn left the country, probably by ship.

Came in to say Nissans are ugly and crappy since Ghosn's influence but it looks like many of you have already covered it for me!

I love the French, the Lebanese and our Brazilian friends.

Mr. Ghosn's DNA came up woefully short for him as his so-called leadership played out. Except whilst heading up Michelin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back