Nissan CVT7 JF015E

Recently purchased a car brand new that comes with a Nissan CVT7 JF015E that is widely used in a bunch of cars from Nissan, Suzuki, Chevrolet etc.
I-ve been experiencing some weird issues when starting the car every morning. Everytime the car is started for the first time in the morning (Warm climate, ambient temp through the night is 26C to 30C in the morning) if i dont wait like a minute at least, when i shift into D the engine will always drop in RPMs and fluctuate as if it was going to shut down or if it had some serious misfiring issues. Im pretty certain it is due to the CVT and im curious if anyone with a Jatco CVT experiences the same.

Aren't they all Jatco CVT's? I took over an 08 Nissan Maxima after my mother passed in 2015. There was an extended warranty on that CVT model. I don't have the info readily available. It was not the smoothest but it was easy to do a drain and fill. I did many with Amsoil CVT. That car had no CVT issues to 150k or 160k IIRC but I have no idea how it was after that point. It wasn't cranky when cold but was never smooth even after warmed up. It did fluctuate RPM until warm but not anything like you describe with misfires or feeling like it's shutting down.

I only have a 17 Subaru OB to compare it to. Truly night and day. So much smoother and I do find I actually like it. 86k On that Subaru CVT so far.

Maybe i went a bit overboard with shut down but the RPMs fluctuate a lot for the first couple seconds in Drive, as if there was some serious misfiring issues. I simply cant believe a brand new car is behaving this way, makes me feel uneasy as if its going to suddenly die one day without notice. Already considering doing a drain and refill. Currently have less than 1K miles on it.

Last edited:
Sounds like something is just not right. Use that warranty! I'd bet there is a code.

Chevrolet Spark brand new with an Ecotec LV7 1.4L (Naturally aspirated and not direct injected) mated to a Jatco CVT. (Presumably the CVT7 JE015E according to my research on google)

A few years ago when this gen Spark was initially released, i compared it to the competition and decided to go with another brand due to concerns with the transmission, fast forward a couple years, i got bored of that car and racked up some decent miles on it so i decided to get something new. After almost 4 years from launch i was expecting most tranny issues to be ironed out but i was wrong.
When i initially purchased the car my main concern was still the transmission and i thought i knew what i was getting into but to be honest i wasnt expecting it to perform so badly.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
I wonder if it needs a throttle re-learn. Maybe the battery was dead or disconnected for a period of time and the E-throttle lost it's mind a bit. Just a guess.

Back