Nissan CVT fluids

Its a relatives 2004 Murano, from what I have seen NS-2 is what was supposed to be used, has it been updated to NS-3 for the older transmissions and especially if it is a rebuilt unit?

Valvoline and Castrol are great. While some people don't like the red color of Castrol, there is nothing wrong with using it in your Murano. Valvoline CVT is amber.

If you still prefer a green CVT fluid, there is Cam2 CVT on Amazon/Autobarn

I am currently using the Castrol Transmax CVT Fluid(RED) in the '15 Altima & '15 Civic in my signature, 2 years now with no issues. They'll both be ready next summer(2022) for another D&F. I will use the same Castrol Transmax CVT Fluid again as I have enough in my stash for both vehicles.

Its a relatives 2004 Murano, from what I have seen NS-2 is what was supposed to be used, has it been updated to NS-3 for the older transmissions and especially if it is a rebuilt unit?
Here's the CVT "loosen the pan and re-fill" method on a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S with CVT. This car is past 212k miles on the same transmission. I never changed the transmission filter or changed the pan gasket. I switched to Valvoline CVT fluid, their website PI Sheet says it's NS-1/2/3 compatible. I do this every 3 years or 30k miles. I can't trust Nissan because the owner's manual did not state capacity or change interval. It's easy because there's a dipstick.

I believe Eneos CVT fluid is made by JK Nippon for Nissan's made there. .

Here in the US it could be Idemitsu.

Really liked Idemitsu in an older Toyota. Different type of fluid but same company. Hard to go wrong with Valvoline and Castrol also.

Per an online conversation I had with a Nissan tech some time back, NS-3 is backwards compatible and can be used in NS-2 applications.

I stick with genuine Nissan NS-3 blue juice in my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder just because it's still got some 5/60 warranty left. Once I'm out of warranty (currently at ~54K miles) I'll be using "suitable for NS-3 use" fluids unless I can find spectacular deals on Nissan blue juice.

Since its a 2004 id say go for the cheapest one. Personally im using Castrol Transmax CVT in a Jatco specced for NS3 and it works great.
Just my opinion, i wouldnt use Valvoline, the spec sheets shows its thinner than NS3 while the Castrol is thicker.
NS2 used to be around 7.2cst, NS3 seems to be around 6.2cst and Valvoline is like 5.6cst according to spec sheets.

Well I can confirm that genuine Nissan NS3 doesn't smell identical to Idemitsu N3. For my wife's 2017 Rogue I had tried to order some Idemitsu from a USA based ebay vendor, but my order was cancelled due to ebay policy of not shipping hazardous chemicals internationally. So I got some Nissan NS3 from the local dealer at a pretty fair price. From my QX60 I had some leftover Idemitsu N3 so I compared the smell...and they are not the same.

So from the 'never wrong' nose, :sneaky: my opinion is that Idemitsu is not, currently, the OEM source for Nissan NS3. However, I would use Idemitsu without any concerns whatsoever. For that matter, I would also use Eneos, Aisin and maybe Valvoline.

Ahh nothing.

It like $25 a quart though...

And you can get the others for much less money. Like Eneos CVT fluid for $12.50 a qt.

Reactions: JTK
Yeah, other options like Castrol or Valvoline are like $6 a quart, you could basically drain and refill every OCI and still save money. I am doing a drain and refill every OCI just for the heck of it. Takes 3 quarts in a Jatco CVT7.

If you put the wrong color CVT fluid in that is asking for trouble regardless the bottle says “suitable for”. The auto manufacturer refuse warranty coverage if the CVT fails. It is just asking for trouble.

Back