Nissan Asks Dealers to Stop Sales of 06 Sentra and Altima SE-Rs

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can think of is poor positioning of the engine over the stationary front differntial in 4x4's creating a need for an obscenely tiny sump.
It almost appears as if the engine design team and the chasis team never talked. Like a poorly designed construction project that required "field modifications" to complete.

"2.7 qt. sumped 1.8l Sentra" I wonder if the low oil sump capacity is an effort to be "environmentaly friendly". I can't think of a sound engineering reason for such a small quantity of oil in the sump of a passenger car. Maybe a lawnmower? I would not buy any brand of automobile equipped as such. I'll bet my stash of GC that they are re-released with a larger sump capacity and/or the reccomendation for synthetic only. Or would an oil cooler be cheaper?

[ June 04, 2006, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Rickey ]

I blame the frogs... Seriously, Nissan has gone down hill ever since Renault bought 44% stake on it. The prospectus reads the products they make today do not compare to what they made even 5 years ago, whether here or in Japan. People will put up with bad dealer service if the products are worth it. I don't think that's the case for Nissan these days.

Bad dealer service AND poor quality makes it for a good recipe for failure.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
Why do they have such a small sump for a V-6 ???

Maybe they assumed that owners might actually change oil at recommended intervals. . .
wink.gif
If I owned one of these, I would definitely stay with short OCIs.

The name Datsun was only used in the export models. Home models were always Nissan. The management did not have much confidense in exporting and did not want to loose face if it all failed. Once they were sure things were goind well, the changed the name back. But now it's a French car and I wonder what kind of face comes with that.

Sacré Bléu!

Since the only options that worked on Frog tanks was Reverse and the rear-view mirrors, I'm not going to guess that the move is good...

Scott

I'd heard about the pre-cat disintegrating and being sucked into the engine, causing damage and oil consumption for the 2.5L when first offered in the Altimas. Could this still be the major source of all these oil usage issues.

I've had two Nissan products in my family, a 2000 2.4L Frontier and a 1995 2.4L Altima. Both of those 4cyl engines had no major engine issues until recently. The '95 Altima is parked for what I hope is only a fuel pump. It sits in the driveway with 246,000 miles.

With these 2.5L issues, I'll probably stay away from Nissan for a while longer.

Do these problems also plague the 2.5L Frontiers as well?

I've owned 2 Datsuns and 2 Nissans.

510 - Great car, totaled by an idiot who turned left into me.

620 Pickup - Underpowered and the heater was a joke but still a good vehicle.

'87 Pathfinder - Expensive to maintain and it always had something broken.

'93 Pathfinder - Seemed like a great vehicle until the frame rusted out badly enough that the pickup points for upper control arms that locate the rear axle ripped away from the frame.

The Pathfinders were heavy with an underpowered 3.0 liter engine that had a 3.8 quart sump.
rolleyes.gif

I'll probably pass on buying another Nissan unless they come along with something really spectacular. The reliability is no better than the Fords I've had which is to say, not all that impressive. They also seem to be like Detroit in that problem areas still aren't fixed 6+ years into a model run.

quote:

Originally posted by Bamaro:
Chalk one more up against the QR25DE engine. My 02 SE-R uses about a QT every 1500 miles. Many engines have loose butterfly valve screws that come off and get sucked into the engine. If your car is out of warrenty, you are SOL even though it is a known defect.

Baloney. I would file a small claims action so fast it would make the local zone rep's head spin.

Chalk one more up against the QR25DE engine. My 02 SE-R uses about a QT every 1500 miles. Many engines have loose butterfly valve screws that come off and get sucked into the engine. If your car is out of warrenty, you are SOL even though it is a known defect.
crushedcar.gif

Great to see how this thread has come down to name calling. I surely don't wonder much why I don't see any "frogs" on this board.

Really, I don't think that Nissan has any more of a "problem" than any of the other car makers do. They all walk a fine line between pursuing engineering perfection and making a profit. Since that requires a blend of compromises, there are always going to be problems here and there. Even Toyota-Lexus has had their share (the 1MZ-FE and 5S-FE sludge problems, the 07 V-6 Camry transmission, etc). GM has head gaskets. And Nissan has had theirs. Big deal. At least they're willing to act, at great expense to themselves, and freeze sales until they iron out the problem.

One of the biggest mistakes that I see here, and elsewhere, with respect to cars, is how people generalize about an entire brand based upon one incident (usually involving themselves), or perhaps a narrow group of problems. Hey, if they're still in business, that means that a lot of people are paying a lot of good money for the product. So, with respect to this thread, are we saying that everyone who plunks down cash for a Nissan product is a fool who can't tell a good car from a bad one??? My G35 isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. Someone care to point me to the perfect car or perfect car maker (I won't hold my breath)??? Good grief, even Lexus can't and won't claim perfection (only the relentless pursuit thereof
wink.gif
).

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
I think that represents the public in general. If you get a bad 'whatever', I mean a really bad one, I doubt you will every by anything in that brand, again. For me it was Audi, and I got burned. I don't care how good Audi's have become, I'll never even look at one. Just human nature.

No disagreement with that at all. I just wish people would be more honest about what are, in truth, their opinions. Everyone's entitled to their beliefs, I've got no problem with that. And some opinions are more grounded in fact than others, of course. I just get tired of opinions getting stated as blanket, uncondtional "fact". Larry, I respect your feelings about Audis (AUDI = Acceleraton Under Demonic Influence, right?
wink.gif
), and you'll never hear me push you to love or buy another. I also appreciate that you've clearly stated where you're coming from, rather than just spewing "all Audis suck" venom.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Great to see how this thread has come down to name calling. I surely don't wonder much why I don't see any "frogs" on this board.

Oh come now - the French are the last group that are OK to bash, didn't you know?

This is rediculous.
Its already been said but all manufactures have there problems.
Nissan is talking about maybe 100k units.

Toyota had hundreads of thousands of sludge monsters out there.

Honda had tons of trans problems.
These are mass produced vehicles made by humans.
Nothing is perfect.
Based on my personal experince with hardbody trucks,2 frontiers
1 350z and G35
2 titans,
They have all been exclellent.
I owned the 2 hardbodys and 1 frontier.
Very close friends I see daily have the other vehicles and they have all been excellent.

But there are others out there who have terrible experiences.
There are good and bad ones from all companys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back