Nissan Asks Dealers to Stop Sales of 06 Sentra and Altima SE-Rs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 1986 Nissan P/U with the Z24 4 cylinder motor (remember the 8 sparkplug setup)? That thing was bulletproof
worshippy.gif

I too had a z24 powered pickup(1987). I bought it used with 135k on it and it was like new. I unfortunately had an accident in the truck (that was a total loss)before I put too many miles on it but it didn't use or leak any oil and ran very strong for the few months I had it.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Rickey:
I can't think of a sound engineering reason for such a small quantity of oil in the sump of a passenger car. Maybe a lawnmower?

FWIU, this has nothing to do with the 1.8L. The older 1.6 and newer 1.8L's are great little engines.

Joel

quote:

Originally posted by JTK:

quote:

Originally posted by Rickey:
I can't think of a sound engineering reason for such a small quantity of oil in the sump of a passenger car. Maybe a lawnmower?

FWIU, this has nothing to do with the 1.8L. The older 1.6 and newer 1.8L's are great little engines.

Joel

Yes a friend of mine has an older 1.6 in a sentra I believe. And it holds 5qts of oil. He has no problems with the engine. I just wonder why so little oil in this more modern version?

I too agree that Nissan has gone down hill. They are like Mitsubishi was in the 90's. (all style with poor build quality) In fact I would say that Nissan compares to Chrylser or Ford in the reliablity department. Buy a Toyota if you want something that last. And BTW, VW has improved with their latest models.

quote:

Originally posted by Thermactor:

quote:

Originally posted by Hirev:
Would not want to be one of the persons that bought one of those.
crushedcar.gif
Nissan seems to have their fair of poor quality issues on many of there models any more from the looks of consumer reports.

Nissan is garbage. They ride on the coattails of Toyota and Honda as being another reliable Japanese brand just exactly the same way VW rides on the coattails of BMW and Mercedes-Benz as German Engineering!

Laughable. I've owned around 15 cars during my driving life (about 30 years now). This includes several for the wife. My Infiniti is roughly #2 (maybe #3) on the list of all of them from best to worst. Every car has strengths and weaknesses, and none of them are perfect. Characterizing an entire make as "garbage" is silly and adds nothing to the discussion. So, what are the specific facts that back up your opinion. Check out my recently posted UOA on my G35. Over 7k miles and I couldn't get any wear metals into double digits. . . Yep, that engine is about to just fall apart, what a piece of "garbage". Then there's my wife's best friend who's got around 300k trouble-free miles on her Maxima -- 'nother piece of garbage, right?

Yikes! Everyone ripping on Nissan all of a sudden. I agree they aren't up there with Honda and Toyota but they aren't that bad.
spaz.gif

My 175hp 2003 2.5L has been running great. 40,000 miles and it uses no noticeable amount of oil between 4,00-5,000 mile changes. I have to crank it a lot more than I think I should to start it (my old Civic would just start to crank over and it would fire.) but it always starts and gets pretty good mileage for a 2,850lb. car with 175hp and 180ft.lbs. of torque ... about 28-29 mpg in mixed driving.

I am looking at Consumer Reports right now and they don't look that bad. Some models seem to be rather unimpressive ... but the Consumer Reports "dot" reliability ratings for the average Nissan looks pretty good when you compare it to the domestic and European makes.

As for the 1.8L I4, check the UOA section of this forum for all the coolant leaks these motors have. Thanks, but I'll stick with my 2.5L.
rolleyes.gif

I'm not sure what the deal is with this recall or whatever you might call it. As you can imagine, it's a hot topic on the Nissan forums I occasionally visit ... especially the SpecV forum.

--- Bror Jace

Here's another tidbit to consider. One of my Marine reserve friends sits relatively high in the Nissan USA management. I was talking cars with him a few months back, and he made a couple interesting comments. Nissan is very well aware that over the last couple years, their interior designs have been criticised as not being as nice as those from comparable competitors. Based upon customer feedback, we'll be seeing some substantially improved interiors in coming new models, such as the 07 Altimas and even Sentras. At least Nissan seems to listen to customers and actually acts upon what it hears. At this point, I'd very favorably consider buying another.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Yikes! Everyone ripping on Nissan all of a sudden. I agree they aren't up there with Honda and Toyota but they aren't that bad. (...snip...)--- Bror Jace

Unlike the Toyotas and Honda I've owned in recent years, I actually love owning and driving my G35. It's a great car. I look for excuses to go drive the thing whenever I can, even with the cost of gas and it's "performance car" thirst.

quote:

Nissan never recovered from changing their branding from Datsun.

Datsun was a product name and model line (small cars and pickup trucks) from 1932 till 1983 (till 2002 in Japan), nothing more. Every Datsun said "Datsun made by Nissan."

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Yikes! Everyone ripping on Nissan all of a sudden. I agree they aren't up there with Honda and Toyota but they aren't that bad. (...snip...)--- Bror Jace

Unlike the Toyotas and Honda I've owned in recent years, I actually love owning and driving my G35. It's a great car. I look for excuses to go drive the thing whenever I can, even with the cost of gas and it's "performance car" thirst.

Who says being up there with Honda and Toyota Is such a good thing? They've both had their share of problems vented on this forum.

the sentra's 1.8L headgasket needs a redesign and an increase in oil capacity. However, my dad's sentra uses no oil in between oil changes. can you imagine all that coolant mixed in with only 2 7/8 quarts of oil? The way Nissan dealers treat their customers in regards to warranty repairs alone has already made my mind up about them
thumbsdown.gif

quote:

Nissan is garbage. They ride on the coattails of Toyota and Honda as being another reliable Japanese brand just exactly the same way VW rides on the coattails of BMW and Mercedes-Benz as German Engineering!

In your opinion, who engineers VWs?
tongue.gif

Also, how is VW riding BMW and MB's coattails?

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

In your opinion, who engineers VWs?
tongue.gif

Also, how is VW riding BMW and MB's coattails?

Who engineers VWs? I don't know, weird people... who use absolutely horrid quality parts. Maybe it's the bean counters to blame.

When people think of German Engineering, they don't think of the flower-power VW Beetle, they think of things like the Mercedes Benz SL65 AMG, or the BMW M5. Great things. Not VW!

ekpolk:
you can get 300,000 miles out of any vehicle nowadays, even a Ford. that doesn't mean that it's good.. especially if it's got awful exterior and interior build quality. the body falls apart around the engine, from what I've heard about Nissans. Like on any Nissan more than a few years old, body trim panel bolts get so rusted through that they snap off, instead of unscrewing.

quote:

When people think of German Engineering, they don't think of the flower-power VW Beetle, they think of things like the Mercedes Benz SL65 AMG, or the BMW M5.

I guess I'm not people.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Thermactor:
(...snip...)you can get 300,000 miles out of any vehicle nowadays, even a Ford. that doesn't mean that it's good.. especially if it's got awful exterior and interior build quality. the body falls apart around the engine, from what I've heard about Nissans. Like on any Nissan more than a few years old, body trim panel bolts get so rusted through that they snap off, instead of unscrewing

(emphasis added).

From what you've heard??? So you've logged no ownership time at all yourself. I see. I rode in my wife's friend's super-high miles Maxima (it's a 99 or 00 model) a couple months ago, and it's as tight as can be. I can assure you, my car is more than "good" by any reasonable interpretation of the word. "Facts" means actual evidence of specific defects in particular models, not vague, unsupported claims that "all Nissans" more than "a few" years old develop "rusted body panel bolts". So, my two year-old G35 should be expected to behave and age in the exactly the same way as 15 year old work truck? Both fall within "all Nissans". Let's cut to the chase, please share with us the source of your irrational hatred of this highly competitive brand.

I love Nissans (Infiniti's too) and I have owned a few...but, the Maximas have been somewhat problematic.

That said, my daughter did in fact buy a new '07 Altima, and it's a beautiful car.
It's a loaded, pearl-white 2.5.
I showed her how to check the oil every time she gets gas to be sure she's OK.
The car looks really nice inside - as stated above, it looks like they've listened.
I felt bad for her - I had to tell her and it's her very first new car.
I hope it turns out to be more rare than I fear.

Scott

Rickey, all brands have problems sooner or later. I used to own Hondas and I've had plenty of friends who've I shouldn't even have to mention the two brands are consistently rated highest by Consumer Reports.

Um, 2 7/8 quart sump in a 4-cyl? The older Xterra with the 3.1L (or 3.3L?) V6 has the same teeny 2 7/8 sump.
shocked.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back