Nissan Asks Dealers to Stop Sales of 06 Sentra and Altima SE-Rs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it must be pretty bad if Nissan is halting sales of the cars, but, reading the linked article, I couldn't tell if the problem was that the engines used too much oil, or the customers just were not bothering to check their oil often enough.

Yikes.
That's not good at all.
I've had some bad vibes from Nissan since my two Maximas proved to be somewhat unreliable, and expensive to repair.

Toyota guy now.

Scott

Maybe bad rings or oval bores? Or maybe the catcon breaking up and being sucked into the engine? Toyota had some of this with the 1ZZ engine in 2000-2002 MR 2s, but never had a recall. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out!

Consider what the oil change intervals for these cars are and then consider that they're using enough oil during that interval that the engine has caught fire.

Seems excessive to me (for a new car..maybe not for a 15 year old beater that leaves puddles where it parks and blue smoke where it drives).

quote:

Originally posted by ITSMR2U:
Maybe bad rings or oval bores? Or maybe the catcon breaking up and being sucked into the engine? Toyota had some of this with the 1ZZ engine in 2000-2002 MR 2s, but never had a recall.

Oh my. Where is the NHTSA, where is the EPA? Other automakers have had catalytic converter recalls for similar problems.

I just bought one about 2 months ago. I bought the 1.8L with the 3 qt. sump.

So far in 1500 miles, I have had no oil used at all (changed out factory oil at 1000 miles).

I'm hoping that this only has to do with the 2.5L!
shocked.gif

Brian

EDIT - just re-read the article, it is only refering to the base Altima and the Sentra SE-R, both of which have the 2.5L I4. I'm still going to call my dealer tomorrow and find out for sure.

Nissan never recovered from changing their branding from Datsun. I still don't have a clue why they did it. Datsun was way more popular than Toyota in its day. Datsuns were inexpensive, nimble, fun to drive, and reliable.

Of course all the Japanese cars have gotten fatter and heavier. Yeah, I long for the days of leaner is better. Compared to their ancestors, most Japanese cars have porked up like a dumpy middle aged hausfrau.

Jeepster_nut:

I had a B-210 years ago, 4speed no overdrive. Never used oil, always 33mpg any and was extremely easy on oil. The car to this day was the best-built I've even owned, was extremely solid, never a rattle or quiver even over railroad tracks at high speed.

Fast-forward several years: my sis buys the newer model, that ugly hatchback thing. It was the complete opposite of what I had, a pile of junk in every way, and a fast-rotting rust-bucket to boot.

Their products never re-attained the quality levels they once were famous for. The Japanese Chrysler, I always called them since. (French now?)

Wow, there must be some major manufacturing defect in some engine somewhere. Losing all the oil in less than 3,000 miles (standard OCI for rental car companies) is phenomenal.

FWIW, I've had great experiences with both a '95 Maxima and an '02 QX4. They were both built in Japan, though, and I think that the highest-quality Nissans still come from there. (The new plant in the US that builds the Titan/Armada was a disaster the first year!)

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
Consider what the oil change intervals for these cars are and then consider that they're using enough oil during that interval that the engine has caught fire.

Are the engines catching fire from overheating or...?

Would not want to be one of the persons that bought one of those.
crushedcar.gif
Nissan seems to have their fair of poor quality issues on many of there models any more from the looks of consumer reports.

quote:

Originally posted by Hirev:
Would not want to be one of the persons that bought one of those.
crushedcar.gif
Nissan seems to have their fair of poor quality issues on many of there models any more from the looks of consumer reports.

Nissan is garbage. They ride on the coattails of Toyota and Honda as being another reliable Japanese brand just exactly the same way VW rides on the coattails of BMW and Mercedes-Benz as German Engineering!

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
Are the engines catching fire from overheating or...?

Overheating due to lack of sufficient lubrication (friction creates heat) would be my guess.

Some owner's manuals specifically warn that allowing the engine to run low on oil can result in a fire.

I have no first hand experience..nor do I want any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back