Nissan 3.8L VQ Engine and 9 Speed Auto Transmission

Does anyone have any info on the new Nissan Frontier 3.8L, Direct Injection, V6 engine (3.8 VQ) and their 9 speed automatic transmission. Do they have cylinder sleeves or is it the plasma-transferred wire arc (PTWA) sprayed onto the cylinder bore? My daughter was wanting a new vehicle and likes the Frontier. I know they are not the fanciest truck and a little dated but the "were" very reliable. She likes the size of the truck as they have a 2013 Frontier with 130K on the odometer and she needs 4x4 to get to work in bad weather.

Based on what I see, and what I have in my 2019 Infiniti QX60 with the VQ35DD engine, the 3.8 Litre version will have the sprayed cylinder liners. The technology for this series of engines is not new - so I really doubt there will be durability concerns.

Ford uses that plasma coating technology in there 5.0 V8. Some of there customers complain of ticking noises . Known as BBQ TICK OR TYPEWRITER TICK .

Ford uses that plasma coating technology in there 5.0 V8. Some of there customers complain of ticking noises . Known as BBQ TICK OR TYPEWRITER TICK .
For is who licensed it to Nissan, pioneered in their 2011 5.4L Shelby engine, I believe.

coating cylinders done correctly is more costly + can outlast liners in aluminum blocks as well as other advantages. the VQ40 Fronty engine is very reliable with good torque. only the newest frontys get the newer engine with its unproven DI + a complete body redesign is said to be commmmming!! tranny might be newer as well! havent checked the frontier forums for a while + was wondering about the new engine that will take beta testers YOU years + miles to find out, good luck!!

Back