Ninth MG Coolant Filter Change - Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last posted change was 2009. I change it once a year since installed. Its a low mileage 2002 F150 does about 3000 to 4000 miles a year. I lost the pics that I had been saving of each years change out. Still catching quite a bit.

MGCoolant9-01.jpg

MGCoolant9-02.jpg

MGCoolant9-03.jpg

Looks good! I change mine pretty much yearly now as well, although mine looks roughly maybe half as muddy as yours. My first change, the element looked *really* nasty, but since then it's cleaned up quite a bit.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Premixed coolant or concentrate with water that you add?

G05 mixed with distilled water.

Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike
Looks good! I change mine pretty much yearly now as well, although mine looks roughly maybe half as muddy as yours. My first change, the element looked *really* nasty, but since then it's cleaned up quite a bit.

Maybe it was two years, with the pics lost I can not be sure.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Is that a cleanable element or strictly replacement?

Toilet paper roll.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
There's a lot of people here who swear these things do nothing in a well maintained system.

Guess we see the truth.

No work to the truck engine at all during this time frame.

A once a year filter change and I add G05 coolant/distilled water mix to the overflow/catch tank.

Originally Posted By: Lost Pup
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Is that a cleanable element or strictly replacement?

Toilet paper roll.

It looked like a foam element on my phone but, now that I'm home, I can see it.

The Motorguard as they currently sell it shouldn't be used for engine oil because of some plastic parts inside which won't stand up to the high heat. Older ones which you may be able to find on Ebay or elsewhere apparently don't have those plastic parts and are fine for engine oil.

The most common TP oil filter is probably the Frantz.

I ran a Motorguard coolant filter on my truck for three years. It removed all of the [censored] that was floating around there. A tractor trailer totaled my truck. I wish I would have got the filter off of it. I do think that it would make any coolant system last longer without all of that abrasive floating in there.

This should be a stickie because there are those who always imagine the toilet paper will fall apart and travel into the engine. My self i learned a long time ago to not put money in a depreciating asset. I just maintain the vehicle just a little better than needed and keep the tires and suspension/brakes in top shape.

How / where do you have your inlet and outlet hoses attached to the engine at? I think I see a "T" fitting attached to a radiator hose.

Originally Posted By: xtell
How / where do you have your inlet and outlet hoses attached to the engine at? I think I see a "T" fitting attached to a radiator hose.

MG Install Thread

A tee in the heater core hose for the inlet and the outlet runs to a tee in the overflow hose.

No problems at all since installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back