NICE INFO on oil filters!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He makes some assumptions in his presentation. Filtering ability really stuck out. Also is apparently not aware the ADBV on a E-Core also acts as bypass, if needed.
Calls a silicone ADBV jelly like. Well I would hopw so, maybe it will seal when I want it to.

Last edited by a moderator:
This what he said about the PureONE:

Filtering ability: below average.
Antidrainback: below average
Bypass: below average

Filtering ability below average? ... well, at 98%+ I'd say that's not "below average". And just how does he conclude if a bypass valve or ADBV is above, below or just "average". Kind of squirrely I'd say.
LOL.gif

So what are his ratings based on? How can he say filters never plug? He doesn't even discuss dome vs thread end bypass. Didn't see any dates, but the Purolators are still all the old assembly string models. I am neutral on the string, but its absence suggests a change in the manufacturing process under the now foreign ownership.

Canister thickness could be much more important to serious off roaders than me.

No indication of where made or foreign ownership or bypass location.

Out of date opinions with no facts to back them.

FWIW: The new yellow PurOne I cut open--PL 20195, I believe it was-- did not have the string.

Nice pics, conclusions not so much.
09.gif
Mopar and Motorcraft "cheap" I think NOT.
smirk2.gif
Purolator made Motorcraft is one of the best bang for the buck filters out there.

Purolator Pure One conclusions.....whacked!
crazy2.gif
" Jellylike antidrainback valve"? It's called a top quality silicone adbv. "Unique bypass that's not sealed".
spankme2.gif
I say, prove it.

Also, another false statement made in this thread is that all Purolators have string...Nope. Recently cut open PP L14610 no string, same for Puro Advance Total Grip. That said, string doesn't bother me.

As with some of the negative posts on this board recently regarding Purolator filters, the link poster appears to have an agenda. Best he's got is his micrometer to measure can thickness and reach his conclusions.

Based on his conclusions , I'd say the "D" in DoctorD stands for Delusional.
grin2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I do have an agenda. I have long felt there was little behind the high opinion that Purolator has enjoyed here. I used to think it was an ordinary filter, but am not sure it is still equal to many others. I just want to spread the truth.

1 The L 10193 now has much less media in it than it used to.

2 Except for Motorcraft, Purolator made filters have dome end bypasses.

3 Purolator is now foreign owned, exporting dollars. Country of manufacture isn't the only thing to look at.

I now rank Purolator next to Fram.

So what is your agenda? Why do you continue to flog Purolator while giving no more proof than in that study? Which of my above statements can you disprove? I have bought my last Purolator.

Originally Posted By: labman
How can he say filters never plug?

He probably should've worded it differently but I do agree with what he's trying to say, and that's the fact that for the most part you'll never see an oil filter plug up unless you go way beyond the normal OCI. And for the audience he's preaching to (auto enthusiasts), they'll never be pushing their OCIs way beyond the limit. Most of the people that read his thread will probably be doing oil changes in the 3-6k range, and in that amount of time you'd never even come close to plugging up an oil filter unless the engine had some serious issues.

One thing I noticed, it looks to me like the Supertech filter he cut open uses cardboard endcaps! When did this change occur??

Nice photos in the article. I feel pretty good now after reading the article in my choice of Mobil Extended Performance filters. Stocked up by buying 15 each for my Saturn and Corolla when they went on sale at the Fleet Farm for 4.50 a piece! I run them to 10K, so that is pretty much a lifetime stash.

Originally Posted By: Patman
One thing I noticed, it looks to me like the Supertech filter he cut open uses cardboard endcaps! When did this change occur??

I'm not so sure that it looks like cardboard... Looks like some sort of a spun tyvek-like material to me.

But a quick look at the Wix filter reminds me why I use Wix.

But this is something that bothers me about something like SuperTech... specs could change at just about any time, and you'll never be too sure about what you're getting until you cut it open afterwards.

Yes, I do have an agenda. I have long felt there was little behind the high opinion that Purolator has enjoyed here. I used to think it was an ordinary filter, but am not sure it is still equal to many others. I just want to spread the truth.

I don't understand.
That's your post over on the Rubicon Forums?

Originally Posted By: Patman

That's a newer Champion Labs Ecore. It's designed to be cheap to maufacture, easier to recycle/burn, but still work well. It's a better product than it looks.

Last edited:
Where is this guy getting his 'filtering ability' data?

Yes, there are a lot of accurate conclusions you can make from a visual inspection of a filter, but it's ability to do it's job and to what degree is not one of them.

Originally Posted By: river_rat

I don't understand.
That's your post over on the Rubicon Forums?

I was wondering the same thing.

labman, it's plainly apparent that you are no fan of Purolator filters, but try not to assume that anything positive said about them in this forum is a personal challenge to you to prove otherwise, ok? Relax, my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back