NGK Laser Plat vs NGK Laser Iridum

Status
Not open for further replies.
NGK Laser Plat vs NGK Laser Iridium

They dont make the NGK Laser Iridium for my car only the NGK IX Iridium and LASER PLATINUM ** Thats what I have in there now **

Now I read the IX Iridium vs the Laser Plats is the Laser Plats last 100K miles to the IX Iridium only last 50K to 60K max however some say the NGK IX Iridium has saves gas and other says faster start and more power to engine...

However what about the NGK Laser Iridium

From what I read the only diff from the IX iridium and the Laser Plats is the IX Iridum have Platinum disc welded to backside of ground electrode. So it should be called NGK Plat / Iridium IMO or Iridium / Platinum Tip.

However they are around the same price what would use use?

LASER IRIDIUM®

or

LASER PLATINUM®

LASER IRIDIUM®

Laser Iridium® spark plugs provide superior ignitability and long service life. Smallest tip diameter available Iridium / Platinum surfaces ensure slow wear rate providing stable idle, superior anti fouling, improved fuel efficiency and lower emissions

Laser welded Iridium center electrode tip
Platinum disc welded to backside of ground electrode provides long life
Trivalent Metal Plating for superior anti-corrosion and anti-seizing
Faster starts and quicker acceleration
Better fuel economy and lower emissions
Best OEM Iridium spark plug available
Original Equipment Manufacturer approved design

Here is specs to

LASER PLATINUM®

Laser Platinum® spark plugs provide high ignitability and longer service life. Dual platinum surfaces ensure slow wear rate providing stable idle, superior anti fouling, improved fuel efficiency and lower emissions.

Laser welded Platinum center electrode tip
Platinum disc welded to backside of ground electrode provides long life
Trivalent Metal Plating provides superior anti-corrosion and anti-seizing properties
Faster starts and quicker acceleration
Better fuel economy and lower emissions
Best Platinum spark plug available
Original Equipment Manufacturer approved design

Last edited:
I went with NGK IX Iridium. Flip a coin and quit losing sleep over it. Both are SUPERIOR products

Most irids, the center is irid plated and the ground electrode is platinum plated. The platinum wears out long before the irid plating, so expect the platinum plated center electrode to also wear faster than the irid center electrode.

Its all about wear and life, I wouldn't place too much value on power and performance over a standard plug. Its all about the less labor and long life in replacement intervals. But if you vehicle isn't really designed for irids, the results may not be as great.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
But if you vehicle isn't really designed for irids, the results may not be as great.

Yep.

If your factory plug is platinum, use platinum. If you factory plug is iridium, use iridium.

Go with the Laser Platinum. A good double platinum plug will last a long time and deliver good performance.
Noble metal electrode and ground strap is a must for waste spark ignition systems.
I might be wrong but i thought the IX didn't use a noble metal ground strap disc??

iridium plugs helped the OEM's achieve 100+k mile plug changes. Going all the way down the line, copper will still give a stronger spark but won't last. Platinum is in the middle.

Originally Posted By: LotI
iridium plugs helped the OEM's achieve 100+k mile plug changes.

Copper will not give a stronger spark, platinum and iridium plugs contain a copper core anyway.
Platinum plugs were the first noble metal plugs with a recommended 100K service interval decades before iridium plugs were marketed.

The major difference in platinum and iridium is the iridium has a longer life expectancy with very fine diameter center electrodes. The one used in platinum would need to be slightly thicker.
In theory there are some benefits to fine wire but in practice its negligible to non existent in street driven engines.

Look at #5.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/dyk_5points.pdf

http://www.counterman.com/what-s-new-in-spark-plugs/

If the car has a waste spark type ignition system then platinum plugs will always work better than iridium.

I use NGK platinums in place of iridiums in several Camrys. They may not last as long but the spark, IMHO, is less shrouded than that of twin negative terminals. Since the plugs are easy to change it's doesn't matter that they might not go 100K. And, they are cheaper. The NGK catalog lists the platinum as a substitute for the engine.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I would use what ever the oem used.
Some OEM choices are made based upon meeting EPA emmission warrantee standards or advertising hype rather than pure function. Since I change plugs a bit more often there is less chance of one freezing in the head. I do use copper antiseize as well, despite NGK claiming they have a "special sauce" plating on the threads. A BMW bike mechanic cautioned me with a serious expression to use copper antiseize on my boxer engine some years ago when I told him of my plan to use an NGK platinum rather than the then worshipped as OEM Bosch. I'm still using that NGK plug type which also fits my Honda mower.

If both are the same price, I would go with the Laser Platinum.

The Laser Platinum is what some OEMs used to use for their long change intervals. The big difference seems to be that the platinums have precious metal on both electrodes, where the IX only has it on the center. That's why the IX has a shorter lifespan than the Laser.

In reading those marketing specs, ask "Better, faster, quicker, lower than WHAT?" If the rest of the ignition system is in good condition, a normal car shouldn't see any difference with either plug.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I might be wrong but i thought the IX didn't use a noble metal ground strap disc??

Might vary from part to part. My IX's did have a platinum disc... but they were an OEM part not a standard part.

Anyway, more important than the iridium vs platinum to me would be having the noble metal ground.

What kind of car do you have? When dealing with Hondas and Toyotas, I would find that the service manual had 2 part numbers, one for NGK and one for Denso. I would see if you can also get a Denso that has the same configuration as your OEM NGK plugs.

If the spark plugs are easy to change I'd try the Iridiums.

If the spark plugs are really difficult to change I'd stick with the Platinums.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

That doesn't make sense though, because iridiums last longer than platinum, so wouldn't you want the longer lasting ones in applications that are hard to change?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

LOL! I think you got it the other way round.

Iridium is much erosion-resistant than that of platinum.

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back