Ngk ixvs iridium laser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advanced auto parts is having a ten dollar rebate for ngk spark plugs. For a camry, which me is better? I know the laser is oem, but does the ix give you better fuel economy? I heard the ix was the performance version. They gave me the ix, but I'm considering doing an exchange and getting the laser. What are your recommendations, thanks. I don't mind replacing spark plugs early, I just want better fuel economy

I chose the Iridium over the lasers in a 98 modified Sunfire SE as the counter man suggested they might run too hot without higher octane. I do like NGK products and feel they are the Bosch of Asian Imports.

NGK’s Laser line is OE-specification in a wide variety of marques (including German!); its platinum pad serves to improve durability by slowing inevitable gap growth.

The less costly IX is likely entirely suitable should ~100,000-mile lifespan not be your primary criteria.

I run the iridium over the Laser platinum for 1 reason. Iridium is a harder metal VS platinum. Harder means less wear. If the engine is in good condition the iridium plugs will outlast the platinum. And you won't be able to notice a mileage difference worth the trouble to figure.

Besides a mileage difference, which one saves gas? Does the ix have any benefits besides being cheaper? And a ten dollar rebate is a pretty good deal

^ I've never noticed a documentable in fuel consumption between -fresh- plugs of differing core materials. Or output.
Not saying that it doesn't or hasn't happened, though.

Originally Posted By: Nitrofan1
..Iridium is a harder metal VS platinum..

True. In this instance, however, both the Laser and IX NGK plugs are iridium.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/DYK_LaserIridium_vs_Iridium IX.pdf

They say the ix is for performance applications, so will it give me more horsepower and better acceleration.? They don't mention anything about fuel economy

Anybody used both and can recount their experiences with both of them? Thanks

Sometimes when a spark plug is marketed for high performance, they mean that the spark plug is designed to work in heavily modified engines. Adding boost pressure doesn't always work with the OE plugs, for example.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
I chose the Iridium over the lasers in a 98 modified Sunfire SE as the counter man suggested they might run too hot without higher octane. I do like NGK products and feel they are the Bosch of Asian Imports.

And that's why he's a counterman.

That bstard gave me ixs! I'm going back and requesting the iridium lasers. For 8.99 a plug and a ten dollar rebate, it's a pretty good deal, right?

Camry, the laser is THE oem! He's a little trickster tryna jip me and this will be reflected on my online customer evaluation of him.

I'm gonna lay odds the person was either selling you a favorite of his or isn't knowledgeable on what is OE. I worked for Advance for 18 years. You are going to find in this day that counter sales people on average are not too keen to what you need. There are many "old school" people in the industry but are a dying breed. This person may not have known what the OE plug was and got you a "best" plug on the list that had a rebate.

I have recommended for years to customers is do your research and decide what you want for your car. I can give advice but it may not be what you need. Add the fact companies require you to push certain parts not by choice. Take the part number you find on NGK.com and exchange the IX's for them.

I doubt he was trying to sell you a load of goods. It may be that his store doesn't carry the Laser IX part number for your car and would have to order it. The location I worked for was a smaller mix store. We carried 5 times the IX VS Laser because more customers wanted them. May he felt he would make the sale if you didn't have to wait and had the next plug in stock. That happens all the time in that industry.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
Besides a mileage difference, which one saves gas? Does the ix have any benefits besides being cheaper? And a ten dollar rebate is a pretty good deal

I doubt there is any gas mileage difference, but some claim that the IXes are a higher performance plug as far as power/idle/misfires/etc. goes due to the smaller diameter center electrode (a la the two different Denso iridium plugs).
I cannot see this being more than the proverbial "splitting hairs" though.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Nitrofan1
May he felt he would make the sale if you didn't have to wait and had the next plug in stock. That happens all the time in that industry.

I don't think you can return INSTALLED/USED plugs...I hope you haven't yet.....but maybe they'll be kind to you...and this...

Why do you always ask for advice AFTER you do something?...AFTER you buy oil and fill the crankcase....AFTER you buy cooland and attempt a drain/fill....AFTER you buy/install spark plugs...

The advice you got here is the same as you got on ToyotaNation...that you should be getting professional advice, and not from some over-the-counter-jockey...

...and that the best thing you can do is to stick to OEM specified parts...advice you seem to have chosen to ignore, looking for "something better" ... more of this, more of that, le$$ of thi$, less of that...and in the end it always seems to cost you more, as in the case of plugs that must be replaced sooner...and possibly cause more damage than if you just stuck to basics...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back