NGK Iridium Spark Plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the benefits of running NGK iridium spark plugs in place of OEM spark plugs in a 2008 Honda Goldwing? I know the cost is three times as much, but if there is an increase in plug life and performance I would be willing to pay it.

I put a set in my Twin Cam Harley. The factory Harley plugs, in my opinion, are not the best available. I figure I shouldn't have to replace plugs for a long time (if ever) so I'll get my money's worth. Don't expect increased power or MPG's from a sparkplug, but you will get longer life due to the Iridium.

Folks over on the Pontiac Bonneville forum actually like the NGK V-Power better--they say it's smoother in the 3800. The point is, don't expect the Iridium to be automatically better functioning than any other plug. There might be a plug that works great in your Goldwing, with noticably better smoothness or what have you, but it might be a regular old copper plug!

Plug life yes.

Performance is hard to say. If your plugs are easy to change on the M/C and you don't put many miles on, I would use regular ones.

My old CBR1000F went through coils every 20k KM like clockwork.
I knew when i got to 18k KM it started to loose performance and cold starting was harder,new plugs didn't help,only new coils.

At around 60k NGK had just brought out the iridium plugs so next coil change i used them.Never put another coil in that bike and i sold it with 165k on it.
I have heard they are easier on coils and from my own experience with them i think that may well be the case.

I cant say if they are better than platinum's because i went from old school plugs directly to these.

Originally Posted By: Trav
My old CBR1000F went through coils every 20k KM like clockwork.

I have heard they are easier on coils and from my own experience with them i think that may well be the case.

Guys that ride the old Kaw Concours 10 are starting to replace the two coils with the "stick" coils because they last better. So, one coil per plug.

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
Folks over on the Pontiac Bonneville forum actually like the NGK V-Power better--they say it's smoother in the 3800. The point is, don't expect the Iridium to be automatically better functioning than any other plug. There might be a plug that works great in your Goldwing, with noticably better smoothness or what have you, but it might be a regular old copper plug!
The NGK v-power are junk plugs. The Ir dont work because of the ignition type in the bonneville ( dual ended resonant shared coil) which would benefit from a LARGER gap and a plug with a longer ionisation period (to make a bigger spark). The Ir are good for Denso C.O.P ignitions or weak coils since they ionise fast and spark at a lower voltage.

Last edited:
Spark plugs on a Goldwing are easy to change, I just want to minimize the amout of work that I will need to do. Stock plugs are just plain old NGK. Honda recomends changing the plugs every 16,000 miles. If I can extend this to 40,000 - 50,000 miles I will be happy.

Originally Posted By: GoldwingGuy
Spark plugs on a Goldwing are easy to change, I just want to minimize the amout of work that I will need to do. Stock plugs are just plain old NGK. Honda recomends changing the plugs every 16,000 miles. If I can extend this to 40,000 - 50,000 miles I will be happy.

You will be able to extend the service interval with the iridiums.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I put a set in my Twin Cam Harley. The factory Harley plugs, in my opinion, are not the best available. I figure I shouldn't have to replace plugs for a long time (if ever) so I'll get my money's worth. Don't expect increased power or MPG's from a sparkplug, but you will get longer life due to the Iridium.

GM, it doesn't bother you to use Japanese spark plugs in your American Iron? I agree with you that they are very good plugs, but some of the faithful might scoff at the very idea...

On my '08 Concours 14, Kawasaki recommends changing the Iridium NGKs at 7500 miles, can you imagine? They last 50,000 miles and all of us just laugh at that one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zedhed

GM, it doesn't bother you to use Japanese spark plugs in your American Iron? I agree with you that they are very good plugs, but some of the faithful might scoff at the very idea...

It's hard to find an American made plug if you want to go that route. Splitfires were the last ones that I knew of but they are gone. (the true splitfires). The last pack of Autolites that I purchased were made in China. Also the last pack of Champions that I purchased were made in Mexico.

Go figure
48.gif

Why should that matter? They don’t mind riding on Honda owned Showa forks or a German designed water cooled V engine.

Last edited:

LOL! No, it doesn't bother me. I am not as closed minded as some may think based on my screen name and career. I figure there's more American parts on my HD than in any of my vehicles. I may not like it, but there's little I can do about it short of lookin hard at every purchase - which I do. But those stock HD plugs (Champions) really are awful.

For a while there, Harley was using Japanese electrics, Japanese suspension parts, Japanese instruments, Japanese Carberators, and English tires.

Like my Goldwing, made in Ohio with parts from who knows where. I will put the Iridium’s in and see how it does, should get at least 30,000 miles. What is the opinion on anti-seize compound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back