NFL Ref's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: grampi
I only caught the end of the Ravens/Chargers game, but I think that last pass interference call against Bal in the end zone was a good call...the defender was all over the receiver before the ball got there...but in general, I agree, the officiating hasn't been good...even sometimes when they use instant replay they still get the call wrong...

HUH! Are you a ref in the NFL?
crackmeup2.gif

BOTH players were fighting with each other the entire time. The WR is not allowed to initiate contact anymore than the DB is. The WR( Floyd I think his name was )was more guilty of contact than the DB was. He was pushing and hand fighting as much or more than the Ravens DB was. Ran his arm across the face of the DB to boot. Both players were looking at and fighting for the ball as well.

Frankly, no flag for offensive or defensive PI should have been thrown as it was just good hard football at the end of the game. However, if a flag has to be thrown the WR was more guilty than the DB. At most it should have been 2 flags and offsetting penalties resulting in a down replay. To call the Ravens DB for PI and basically give the Chargers the game is sickening to me.

Here's where you're wrong...the receiver didn't initiate contact, the defender did, and that's PI....besides, I'm sick of hearing that the refs stole the game from Ravens...my boss is a Ravens fan and he's always biching about the refs costing his team games... here's a suggestion for the Ravens...stop letting your opponents come back from 21 point deficits and you'll probably win more games...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I only caught the end of the Ravens/Chargers game, but I think that last pass interference call against Bal in the end zone was a good call...the defender was all over the receiver before the ball got there...but in general, I agree, the officiating hasn't been good...even sometimes when they use instant replay they still get the call wrong...

HUH! Are you a ref in the NFL?
crackmeup2.gif

BOTH players were fighting with each other the entire time. The WR is not allowed to initiate contact anymore than the DB is. The WR( Floyd I think his name was )was more guilty of contact than the DB was. He was pushing and hand fighting as much or more than the Ravens DB was. Ran his arm across the face of the DB to boot. Both players were looking at and fighting for the ball as well.

Frankly, no flag for offensive or defensive PI should have been thrown as it was just good hard football at the end of the game. However, if a flag has to be thrown the WR was more guilty than the DB. At most it should have been 2 flags and offsetting penalties resulting in a down replay. To call the Ravens DB for PI and basically give the Chargers the game is sickening to me.

Here's where you're wrong...the receiver didn't initiate contact, the defender did, and that's PI....besides, I'm sick of hearing that the refs stole the game from Ravens...my boss is a Ravens fan and he's always biching about the refs costing his team games... here's a suggestion for the Ravens...stop letting your opponents come back from 21 point deficits and you'll probably win more games...

You clearly watched a different game. Both the DB and WR were equally fighting with each other while also going for the ball. Floyd was as guilty of PI as the Ravens DB. Just not a play to call PI on. Both players fighting for the ball( DB's have the same right to the ball as the offensive players ). It was a good, hard, play by both sides. ref should never have thrown a flag BUT if he felt he had to then both the WR and DB should have been flagged and the down should have been replayed.

I am not a Ravens fan by any stretch. I am honest enough though to admit they do get a lot of bad calls against them. They have a right to complain some about it.

I do agree that you shouldn't lose a game you are leading by 21 points. However, when the ref's let the opponent hold at will( o-line )it negates your pass rush and allows the other team to get back in it. Then when they throw a bogus flag at the end of the game to save the opponent yet again it makes it hard to win.

That was a BAAAADDDDD game by the ref's. Countless bad calls against the Ravens and a lot of non calls that favored the Chargers.

Last edited:
It's not the fault of the referees that there are so many penalties called or the games that take 3+ hours to play, but it's the heads of the NFL that cause all the problems.

There are quotas on how many of each level of penalties need to be called per game, and if the players don't cooperate and actually commit those penalties then the refs are forced to call some on questionable plays.

The NFL wants to slow down the game so it takes a certain amount of time to play, thus guaranteeing a minimum number of commercials are able to be broadcast.

It's all scripted entertainment. Follow the money.

Watching the NFL is difficult these days cause the defense is not allowed to play
All the rules are tilted to the offense because scoring points is what sells tickets these days
The owners dont care about making games fair,only making money hand over fist
Defensive backs cant breathe on receivers without a foul
They cant touch them until after the ball is caught

I would also love it if instant replay was gone
It slows down the flow of the game
I usually record games so I can scroll past commercials,timeouts,replays etc
I think alot of fans only enjoy the scoring
The NFL as we knew it is gone and wont be back
Any records for the offense are bogus from now on cause it is just too easy
The field is tilted towards scoring
My rant

Blaming the refs for being responsible for 'my' team losing is a tired old argument. IDK what percentage of calls are reversed but I believe it is probably small.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Blaming the refs for being responsible for 'my' team losing is a tired old argument. IDK what percentage of calls are reversed but I believe it is probably small.

To be fair I didn't blame the ref's for "my team losing". I purposely did not want this to be that kind of thread. The games I mentioned all involved teams I do not root for. In addition to having my favorite team I like football in general and watch as many games as I can. I see bad calls running rampant this year. Again, this isn't about "my team" but rather a league wide issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I would also love it if instant replay was gone
It slows down the flow of the game
I usually record games so I can scroll past commercials,timeouts,replays etc
I think alot of fans only enjoy the scoring
The NFL as we knew it is gone and wont be back
Any records for the offense are bogus from now on cause it is just too easy
The field is tilted towards scoring
My rant

I have to disagree with you there. Replay is a good thing. Anything that can be done to make the correct call is a good thing IMO.

I used 'my' generically...not directed at anyone. I was just saying it's very rare for a bad call to cause a team to lose. Most of the time what appears to be a bad call becomes clear with replays and slowmo from several different angles.

The explanation for the fist bump I heard was one ref telling the other thanks/good job on the play call assist. It wasn't because they were rooting for the Broncos that just scored. Reasonable explanation. With that said if I was head of NFL Officiating I would send a memo out saying not to do such things as it may appear to be a bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back