NFL Ref's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are absolutely TERRIBLE this year! I have always considered them to be the best of the major sports league officials but this year I am seeing a lot more games influenced or outright decided by bad/biased officiating. It is really bad this year. It just ruins the enjoyment of the sport when the ref's seem to constantly be part of the box score's storyline.

St. Louis has a couple wins they shouldn't have( over Seahawks & 49'ers )as one glaring example and today's game between the Ravens and Chargers is another. What a god awful job the ref's did today in that game.

They were flag happy against Baltimore for everything they did yet they turned a blind eye to the Chargers blatant o-line holds( muggings is more accurate ). The PI call at the end of the game was one of the most ridiculous and obviously biased calls made this year. Both players were equally interfering with each other while looking at, and fighting for, the ball. Either no PI or PI on both and replay the down. To call the Raven DB for PI is ludicrous.

Just no reason or sanity for so many calls or lack thereof this year it seems that goes way beyond any previous year I can recall. You will always get a bad call here or there. Ref's are humans. But as I said this year they seem to really be awful.

With all the technology we have that let's us see the game on TV better than the ref's can on the field maybe it is time to start taking some of the calls away from them and putting them on someone at a monitor? Games like the Ravens/Chargers game today, that had a heavy dose of ref influence on the outcome, can't be allowed to keep happening. Playoff spots are at stake.

Sorry for the rant but I get really ticked at this stuff. And for the record I am not a fan of any team mentioned by name in this thread. I will leave my rants on those blown calls out due to my own bias.
grin2.gif
Also, don't go by my location and think I am a fan of the Patriots. I am not. That team gets more benefit from bogus calls than any 5 others combined.

Last edited:
I agree that there are a lot of bogus calls, but I don't know if this is the fault of the officiating staff. By and large, the rulebook and the way penalties are called makes it nearly impossible to play proper defense. It is frustrating when every other play involves a yellow flag for some facetious reason.

There's bad calls every year. But I've seen at least twice this year the refs stop a play because they weren't in position. That's so ridiculous. That changes the whole pace of the offense and gives the D a chance to breathe potentially changing the out come of the play. I don't think I've seen that before this year

I believe the refs in the Baltimore/san diego game were bias towards the chargers. Twice, san diego committed pass interference in the endzone against Baltimore, and the refs placed us at the 3 yard line and 6 yard line. Then this happens to san diego and they are on the 1 yard line. The refs are absolutely terrible and it is disappointing since they seem to favor one team over another.

Originally Posted By: Chuckinator
There's bad calls every year. But I've seen at least twice this year the refs stop a play because they weren't in position. That's so ridiculous. That changes the whole pace of the offense and gives the D a chance to breathe potentially changing the out come of the play. I don't think I've seen that before this year

There were 2 of those calls today. I really think some officiating crews are better than others. Ed Hochuli's crew seems to be one of the best along with Gene Steratore and Bill Leavy's crew. I love watching a game where Hochuli is the head referee purely for his penalty explanations.

I agree that refs blow calls and I'm especially tired of the missed pass interference calls, or calling it on the wrong side. But how many of these "blown calls" we are seeing because of the infinite possible camera views and instant replay? Did you notice the missed call during live action or during a replay? They are only human and don't have a TV in front of them to show in slow motion the details.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I agree that refs blow calls and I'm especially tired of the missed pass interference calls, or calling it on the wrong side. But how many of these "blown calls" we are seeing because of the infinite possible camera views and instant replay? Did you notice the missed call during live action or during a replay? They are only human and don't have a TV in front of them to show in slow motion the details.

I think instant replay has made missed calls more obvious. Watching a play in real speed vs slow-mo you can see two entirely different plays.

Cricket and Rugby seem to have given their umpires/refs more leeway in deferring to a video judge in order to make calls.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Am I the only one around here that finds football absolutely boring?

I normally do, but when you learn a lot of the specifics on the game it can get interesting. I taught myself the rules of rugby and cricket just by watching and having rulebooks open. The officiating in the CFL is usually really good, but then again they are still human.

I don't watch football. Few professional sports interest me. I do like watching college womens fast pitch softball.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

I don't watch football. Few professional sports interest me. I do like watching college womens fast pitch softball.

Women's college volleyball is fantastic.

I like to bitXXX like anyone, but NFL and MLB guys are like 90% plus in getting it correct, in real time.

I only caught the end of the Ravens/Chargers game, but I think that last pass interference call against Bal in the end zone was a good call...the defender was all over the receiver before the ball got there...but in general, I agree, the officiating hasn't been good...even sometimes when they use instant replay they still get the call wrong...

You're definitely in the minority...football is by a wide margin the most popular sport...in this country anyway...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I only caught the end of the Ravens/Chargers game, but I think that last pass interference call against Bal in the end zone was a good call...the defender was all over the receiver before the ball got there...but in general, I agree, the officiating hasn't been good...even sometimes when they use instant replay they still get the call wrong...

HUH! Are you a ref in the NFL?
crackmeup2.gif

BOTH players were fighting with each other the entire time. The WR is not allowed to initiate contact anymore than the DB is. The WR( Floyd I think his name was )was more guilty of contact than the DB was. He was pushing and hand fighting as much or more than the Ravens DB was. Ran his arm across the face of the DB to boot. Both players were looking at and fighting for the ball as well.

Frankly, no flag for offensive or defensive PI should have been thrown as it was just good hard football at the end of the game. However, if a flag has to be thrown the WR was more guilty than the DB. At most it should have been 2 flags and offsetting penalties resulting in a down replay. To call the Ravens DB for PI and basically give the Chargers the game is sickening to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chuckinator

Yeah, I have noticed that as well this year and I too can not recall ever seeing it done before. They stop the play and keep the offense from being able to run the hurry up because THEY didn't get their butts in gear and get in place. Unbelievable.

How about the ref in the NE vs. Jets game earlier this year coming in and telling the NE player( think it was LB Hightower )to move so he didn't get a penalty by being in the wrong spot on the kick. I could not believe that. That is not their job. Also seen ref's helping QB's up off the ground after a hit which is a HUGE no-no to me. Especially seeing as they only did it for one QB in the games I have seen it and not the other. Talk about an obvious bias.

As I said originally, I always thought NFL ref's were the ebst. This year though they have just been awful. IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjcride
Don't they use video replay if a play is contested?

Only certain plays can be reviewed and there are limits on when review can be used as well.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Valid point and I do not blame officials for missed calls on those bang-bang type plays where you can barely tell using slow-mo in replay. The PI I talk of in the Ravens vs. Chargers game however is not that type of a situation. Very clear what happened even to the naked eye at full game speed. My gripe is when they make calls that are so clearly biased, or so clearly fubar'ed beyond belief, that there is no excuse for them and they impact the game as a result. THAT is happening far too often this year IMHO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back