Next oil for 2uz with vvti?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So its time for an oil change on the wifes lexus gx470. She is a sales rep so does lots of driving, 15-20k per year. Mixed, mostly city but weekly trips out of town. We live in front range of colorado so temps are pretty varied. winters are 0-60* and summer are 30-100.

Currently running PP 5w-30 and at 8500 although it has a slight leak and had two quarts top off during this period. I will do a IOA but it will be the first on this car. Bought at 135k, now at 162k.

I have the following in my stash:
4qts of PP 5w30
12 PU srt 0w-40 with the pure plus logo
12 PU srt 040 with the "hyper" logo...whats the difference if any?
5qt jug M1 0w-20AFE

Post recs and why please. thanks!

i will fix the leak one day but i just did TB and h2o pump and didnt notice it. Camshaft seal and since its vvti model it involves removing cams...

Ppl 5w30 because that some what's speccceed and what you used last time and what you have left over in stash. Give it to least 2 ocis of same oil to see if the leak goes away or reduces unless this is already 2nd or 3rd ocis on pp

Last edited:
I think the 4qts plus 2qts idea is fine, car is old so I think it should handle the difference, but I personally would've stayed with the spec if I didn'the have a stash I'd buy more 5w30 pp rather then playing around with grades. You have a decent stash might as well reduce it.

The pu hyper is older before they switched to the pure plus gas to liquid marketting. Some say it's the good stuff with the really good basessocks while gtl synthetic are inferior because it's cheap so is not as good.
Others and myself will say just use the oldest first otherwise when are you ever going to use it..

Final clarification is it a leak and you see an oil spot on the gadage flor. Or consumption and uses 2qts over 8500 miles.

Last edited:
I'd get a PP or M1 5w-30 HM to help the seals and use those oils in your other cars. Or mix them in with the PP HM.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
I think the 4qts plus 2qts idea is fine, car is old so I think it should handle the difference, but I personally would've stayed with the spec if I didn'the have a stash I'd buy more 5w30 pp rather then playing around with grades. You have a decent stash might as well reduce it.

The pu hyper is older before they switched to the pure plus gas to liquid marketting. Some say it's the good stuff with the really good basessocks while gtl synthetic are inferior because it's cheap so is not as good.
Others and myself will say just use the oldest first otherwise when are you ever going to use it..

Final clarification is it a leak and you see an oil spot on the gadage flor. Or consumption and uses 2qts over 8500 miles.

I did the 4-PP/2-PU yesterday, seems to quiet down the valvetrain some. I will change it before winter and do a uoa to see how its liking these penzoils.
Good to know about the Hyper. thanks
It is a very slight leak, it was really more like 1.5qts over 8k miles but the bottle got smashed while half full in the back so i just dumped the rest in it. Kinda [censored] luck because these engines very rarely leak and of course mine is from the most PITA location.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
I'd get a PP or M1 5w-30 HM to help the seals and use those oils in your other cars. Or mix them in with the PP HM.

They make a PP Hm?

Yep, it is getting wide distribution now. One of my local Walmarts has it - but not the smaller ones yet or maybe at all. Same grey bottle but the adhesive label is a darker bronze color and HM labeled.

I just purchased M1 HM for the cars on their current rebate; later in the year I'm going to get the PP HM for the next round (and Pennzoil has a $10 rebate on it all year, too).

Here is a link, put in your zip code and see where it is:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-High-Mileage-5W-30-Motor-Oil-5-qt/44981486

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back