Next-Gen Mazda 6 Switching to RWD Layout, Inline-Six Power

I learned long ago off BITOG
that you can't have RWD and an inline 6 ... while Ford did it right up until last year...

Mazda especially in non CUV space is a niche market company at best. This will hit a specific niche for sure.

If a no AWD option a non-starter for New England.

Originally Posted by Jake_J

If FCA can keep pumping out cheap trash with rwd driveline, you wont convince me that its cost prohibitive for anything but MB or bmw.

The cheapest RWD car that FCA makes is the 2020 Challenger which has a base MSRP of $28,095 compare that to a typical mid size FWD car like the 2020 Accord which has a base MSRP of $24,020.

That may be the MSRP, but when you look at actual sale prices, the Accord will be advertised at about $23K and the Chrysler about the same once both vehicles take dealer incentive, mfr rebates, etc. into account. Chrysler MSRP's and Honda MSRP's are quite different.

However...and I know this strays from my narrative a touch on dogging Chrysler, but IS more germane...

How much lower is the price of a BMW X3 now that it has a transverse engine instead of longitudinal? Did it decrease from 2017 to 2018 when the change was made? If so by how much?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
Mazda especially in non CUV space is a niche market company at best. This will hit a specific niche for sure.

I really think the Accord 2.0T is the "ultimate" vehicle of its kind, in its price range. The Mazda 6 doesn't even come close, in any way that I can deduce.

Originally Posted by Ws6

How much lower is the price of a BMW X3 now that it has a transverse engine instead of longitudinal? Did it decrease from 2017 to 2018 when the change was made? If so by how much?

I didn't realize the X3 went transverse. I thought that was the X1?

Originally Posted by drtyler
Originally Posted by Ws6

My apologies, I meant X1. Same question/ observation, though.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by drtyler
Originally Posted by Ws6

My apologies, I meant X1. Same question/ observation, though.

I am not sure X1 is any lower in price. X1 with transverse engine is specific vehicle. After first gen. X1 BMW decided to pull out X1 from US and Europe and keep it for Chinese market etc. However, right about that time SUV/CUV craze started and it made sense to reintroduce vehicle. I am not sure it is any cheaper.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I really think the Accord 2.0T is the "ultimate" vehicle of its kind, in its price range. The Mazda 6 doesn't even come close, in any way that I can deduce.

I drove a 6MT Accord 1.5T and a 6MT Accord 2.0T. Yeah it is nore powerful (both are) than my 6MT '17 Mazda6 (185 hp)... but by way of sport driving in general neither were compelling for me, compared to my car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Originally Posted by Ws6

I drove a 6MT Accord 1.5T and a 6MT Accord 2.0T. Yeah it is nore powerful (both are) than my 6MT '17 Mazda6 (185 hp)... but by way of sport driving in general neither were compelling for me, compared to my car.

Well, my z06 crushed everything I've driven except a zr1, but we gotta keep this in perspective, lol!

Back