Next Buick built in China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sciphi
If people buy this car in significant quantities, there's a chance it could be made in the US.

Fixed:
If people buy this car in significant quantities, there's a chance it could be made in Mexico.

Can we stop with this having stuff made in China garbage already? Jeez...

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Amazing folks hot and bothered by China but give Mexican "domestics" a pass without blinking an eye.

I agree. Blows my mind!

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
If people buy this car in significant quantities, there's a chance it could be made in the US.

Fixed:
If people buy this car in significant quantities, there's a chance it could be made in Mexico.

Not fixed.

D2XX platform vehicles supposed to be big sellers here so far look to be US/Canada production. I've found no references to plants in Mexico that are going to be producing D2XX-based vehicles.

The next-gen Equinox/Terrain, which shares the Envision's platform, are supposed to be made in Tennessee and Ontario.

If GM refits Spring Hill, Orion Township, Lordstown, and possibly Oshawa (although their costs are high) to make D2XX platform vehicles, one of those lines, possibly Spring Hill or Oshawa, ought to have room for the Envision.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Fixed:

Not fixed.

D2XX platform vehicles supposed to be big sellers here so far look to be US/Canada production. I've found no references to plants in Mexico that are going to be producing D2XX-based vehicles.

The next-gen Equinox/Terrain, which shares the Envision's platform, are supposed to be made in Tennessee and Ontario.

If GM refits Spring Hill, Orion Township, Lordstown, and possibly Oshawa (although their costs are high) to make D2XX platform vehicles, one of those lines, possibly Spring Hill or Oshawa, ought to have room for the Envision.

now you had go spoil it all with facts..

"The China-built Envision compact crossover had a low-key arrival in Detroit, where the folks at UAW headquarters have had less-than-polite things to say about General Motors' decision to import it. (The union called it a "slap in the face" to U.S. taxpayers.) But in terms of a vehicle that can pull double duty as sales driver and image booster, the Envision is Buick's biggest entry since the Encore subcompact hit showrooms three years ago -- probably bigger."
http://www.autonews.com/article/20160117/OEM/301189957

People still say my Honda is a foreign car. Guarantee it has more parts made in Europe and US than a few "American cars". People or sheeple.

Being an engineer myself, I like to see a vehicle engineered here in the U.S. (instead of in communist countries who fail on human rights, militarism, pollution, overpopulation, espionage, etc.), and this Buick was at least engineered by GM's Opel in a modern democratic country (Germany).

"Shan Zhai culture, IP theft, “borrowed ideas,” and fake products are still as big a problem as ever in China, and copycat culture still presents a major threat to China’s continued development."-- Forbes
At least by doing the design-engineering in Germany, maybe it'll be harder for factory workers and managers to figure out how to reproduce the parts for a knock-off factory next door!!!

I saw in the paper this morning that GM's planning on importing the Caddy CT6 hybrid from China. The regular CT6 will be made Stateside, but the low-volume hybrid will be an all-China affair.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
20 years ago, people felt the same way about all of those American cars from Japanese companies.

Time marches on, and the world changes.

Except you are comparing the country that makes Mitutoyo micrometers versus the one making laughably bad ones seen at Harbor Freight.

No engine builder would ever want to be seen with a HF micrometer, but would be okay with a Mitutoyo unit.

GM could be making a huge mistake in making the new Chinese SUV a Buick here in the U.S.

Buick buyers tend to be older and fiercely patriotic, and anti-communist all the way.

Yes, Buick is a popular brand in China, explaining why GM builds them there, yet buyers here are going to reject the notion of paying Buick prices for a Chinese-made import with a Buick badge.

GM needed to fill the gap in their SUV line-up, and maybe they should have gone with a gussied-up Equinox here for a new Buick SUV model.

20 years ago, people felt the same way about all of those American cars from Japanese companies.

20 years ago was 1996.

We have 2 small diesel Kubotas that were made in Osaka Japan. One was made in 1992 and another in 1995. You won't find anything comparable that even comes close to their quality that was US made.

Also, Japan and China aren't even comparable.

Japan killed US electronics and put a decent dent in our auto industry, S Korea is killing Japan, and China will be killing S Korea in a few years.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

20 years ago was 1996.

We have 2 small diesel Kubotas that were made in Osaka Japan. One was made in 1992 and another in 1995. You won't find anything comparable that even comes close to their quality that was US made.

Also, Japan and China aren't even comparable.

Most Honda Accords from 1990 to 1997 were built in the USA, and the number of them still on our roads is amazing.

20 years ago, in 1996, absolutely no one had issues buying import vs. American. In fact, I clearly recall American cars were generally thought of as huge piles of [censored]. It was all Honda, Honda, Honda, with some Toyota and maybe a little VW thrown in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back