Nexen Winguard Sport 2 winter tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad it is directional, although I'm more ok with that in a winter tire than in a summer or all-season.

The original Winguard Sport was not directional.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Too bad it is directional, although I'm more ok with that in a winter tire than in a summer or all-season.

What is your reasoning? Just ease of rotation or...

Originally Posted by buck91
What is your reasoning? Just ease of rotation or...

Yeah, mainly the rotation.

Walmart does flip and remount as part of their free rotations, but most places don't, and many people on here don't like Walmart.

I had them on my yaris sedan for about 5,000 miles.
good in new snow, didn't tested on ice,

but on the mostly dry roads, noisy and soft/jelly-wavy. it changed the dynamic of the car to almost not safe at dry speeds over 45mph.
it didn't get to see temps over 60F, since I sold the car.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Unfortunately for you, directional winter tire patterns is more the trend now for winter tire designs.

Never ran a winter tire yet but I want to get a set for my FWD car.

Is there a major difference in the directional snows vs non-directional?

my plan was to get a set of cooper non-directionals unless i find a better deal on a set of 4

There isn't too many non directional tires. Its optimize to perform one way. But increases cost in manufacturing as you need 2 different molds to make a set.

Nitto SN2 is a little known tire that is not directional or asymmetric and gets good reviews online.

Originally Posted by pandus13
I had them on my yaris sedan for about 5,000 miles.
good in new snow, didn't tested on ice,

but on the mostly dry roads, noisy and soft/jelly-wavy. it changed the dynamic of the car to almost not safe at dry speeds over 45mph.
it didn't get to see temps over 60F, since I sold the car.

Finally installed a set at 2 days ago. There was no snow yet so still don't know about the real snowy road performance.
My car is 2018 Elantra Sport Turbo with stock Hankook Ventus S1 noble 2 225/40/18. Downgraded to these Nexen 225/45/17. It's so quiet and fast comparing to the other winter ones.
I also noticed the dry performance was a little bit understeer comparing to my stock ones.
Rainy performance was fine during little rain.
Still waiting for the snow fall.

I don't think it's good for mini van or SUV. The tread pattern design should be for sedan no matter it's high performance or not. But it's really fast comparing to the regular winter tires.
Will update my post again as major snowfall is coming in GTA Canada today.

I just bought Nexen Winguard Sports (the original, not the 2) and the manufacture date is mid 2019 so they are still making them. Was surprised when I went to mount them and realized they were not directional, as all other winters tires I have seen have been directional so I thought winter tires always were. But I guess this means I can rotate them.

I think the Sporst 2 is for sedan and performance car. The tread pattern design is totally different. Also Sports 2 is directional like the other major brands modern models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back