Nex gas

Ive done searches here and google and havent found much information. The post I found here is 10+ years old. Does anyone have any information on the gas you buy at military bases. The navy calls it the Nex, other branches have other names. Do they add any additives or just use it straight from whatever contractor they have hired. Should I seek out top tier and stop using this stuff?

Smart money on that it's EPA-minimum detergent gas, probably similar to Sam's Club/Murphy USA/Casey's/Pilot/Love's, etc.
That means the fuel itself is of fine quality but with a lower detergent concentration than Shell, Mobil, BP, etc. That much is likely quantifiable, but
only you can decide if it's worth it to you to use TT. I'll say that many vehicles run on minimum-detergent gas for long, uneventful lives, particularly in markets where that's the main option (see: much of rural Iowa, plenty of Pennsylvania, etc.).

Good questions: in for the answer.

I wouldn’t expect the NEX to have anything other than the minimum. While I was in the Navy Reserve, the gas prices would fluctuate from a great deal ($0.20 cheaper) to on par with TT fuel offerings nearby. I simply stopped using them because they were always busy and the base was not on my way to work.

Right... It's the same thing you would buy at the local gas stations, sourced from the same pipeline terminal. Same as if you bought Sams Club or any number of C-Store or grocery store brands. Gas that meets EPA detergent standards.

Back