NEWSFLASH: Quakerstate meets 229.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I check this page every so often because the guy is good about keeping track of the latest MB approvals. It appears that Quakerstate now makes a 5w30 synthetic that is on the MB 229.5 list. If it's available in the US, that means we'll have another A3 rated Xw30 oil to choose from. Anyone seen it or heard of it?

G-Man II,

I haven't even seen the Pennzoil European 5W40 anywhere yet. I do find it interesting that the QS made the 229.5 list and the PZ didn't.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
G-Man II,

I haven't even seen the Pennzoil European 5W40 anywhere yet. I do find it interesting that the QS made the 229.5 list and the PZ didn't.

PS, the Pennzoil 5w40 probably can't meet the fuel economy requirements of 229.5. The only Xw40 oil that meets 229.5 is Mobil 1 0w40. Everything else on the list is 5w30.

Interesting. I think it's about time Mobil 1 5w/10w-30 bumps its specs up to A3. 0w-40 just doesn't cut it with me. Thins out and then doesn't meet the 229.5???

[ September 20, 2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
G-Man II,

PS, the Pennzoil 5w40 probably can't meet the fuel economy requirements of 229.5. The only Xw40 oil that meets 229.5 is Mobil 1 0w40. Everything else on the list is 5w30.

A method to Mobil's madness when it comes to keeping it thinner, eh?

Guess what-if you go to the Quaker State web site, and check the product data sheet for the Quaker State full synthetic oil, you will find that it meets A3 requirements. The Quaker State sold in this country according to that product data shett meets the requirments. You can buy that Quaker State full synthetic oil anywhere.

Go to the Quaker State web site, click on 'Products and Services', and then click on motor oils, and then click on the Quaker State full synthetic. Near the bottom is something like 'Product Data Sheet'. Click on that, and there it is.

Hey, I like Chevron and Schaeffer's, but it will be good to come back to Quaker State. And Quaker State is the oil used anyway by Saturn. Of course, they are putting conventional Quaker State in Saturn cars and SUVs. I should be able to find the Quaker State full synthetic at Wal-Marts and put it in my new car myself. And there is even a guarantee if you keep your receipts.

Tell me it is really true-that I can actually go back to one of my old favorites. The two motor oils I used long ago in the past were Pennzoil and Quaker State, and you can find them everywhere in America.

quote:

A method to Mobil's madness when it comes to keeping it thinner, eh?

Good point. Makes me wonder. I seem to be the small majority defending thinner oils but I'm no expert by any means. I'm hoping we can all come to the conclusion at some point about this debate. Its not about being right or wrong with me, but finding the right answer.
cheers.gif

Mystic, the first thing I did after seeing this oil on the MB page was go to the Quaker State web site and try to find it. This oil is called: "Quaker State European Formula Ultra 5W-30" and there is no product data sheet listed for it.

G-Man II, I went to the USA Quaker State web site, and I clicked on the picture of the Quaker State full synthetic oil that is sold in America. That data sheet said that it met A3 requirments. I will try again.

It is the Quaker State full synthetic sold in this country, according to the Product Data Sheet that I saw.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
It is the Quaker State full synthetic sold in this country, according to the Product Data Sheet that I saw.

Mystic, if it's not called "Quaker State European Formula Ultra 5W-30" and doesn't say that it meets MB 229.5, then it's not the same oil, even if it says it meets A3. C'mon...this is not rocket science.
rolleyes.gif

Well, maybe it does not meet those M-B requirements, but it does meet A3 requirements, according to the product data sheet. That sounds pretty good to me. The guy who should know something is Johnny, the Pennzoil-Quaker State guy. How many Mobil 1 oils meet the A3 requirements-just the 0W40?

This does remind me of the past when Quaker State had motor oils in Europe that apparently were better then what they sold in the USA.

But if this USA Quaker State meets A3 requirements, it can't be all bad. I wil look and see if the Pennzoil meets the A3 requirments.

Mystic,
Quaker State 5W-30 sold here does not meet A3 specs, it only meets A3 requirements for engine protection, read the data sheet again.

Okay, but the Pennzoil full synthetic does not even meet what the Quaker State is able to do. There was no mention of A3 anything in the product data sheet for the Pennzoil.

And if I remember correctly, there was a discussion a while back about Mobil 1 oils and the only one that met A3 requirments was the 0W40. I will check the Mobil site and see if Mobil 1 oils meet the same requirments of the Quaker State full synthetic (except for the Mobil 1 0W40).

In the product data sheets for Mobil 1 oils, only Mobil 1 0W-40 and Mobil 1 15W-50 is there any mention of A3. The other Mobil 1 oils list A1 and A5. I don't know all that much about the European motor oil requirements, but I think A1 is the minimum accepted, A5 is for extended mileage, and A3 is for maximum protection.

The Chevron 5W-30 Synthetic has A3 mentioned in its product data sheet.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
I don't know all that much about the European motor oil requirements, but I think A1 is the minimum accepted, A5 is for extended mileage, and A3 is for maximum protection.

Actually, A3 and A5 are both extended drain specs. The only difference between them is that A5 oils are spec'd as low HT/HS.

Now we've got another oil that people can search all over town for!
smile.gif

It's great to see more oils coming out like this, perhaps these US companies are realizing that they need to step it up a notch in order to win the business of people who own European cars!

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Now we've got another oil that people can search all over town for!
smile.gif

It's great to see more oils coming out like this, perhaps these US companies are realizing that they need to step it up a notch in order to win the business of people who own European cars!

Which oil would that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back