NEWSFLASH: Quakerstate meets 229.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if you could find the Quaker State European motor oil at M-B dealerships. Unless M-B uses only a certain brand, then there may be a possibility that the European Quaker State would be found at the M-B dealerships.

Another thing that makes me wonder is why all Mobil 1 oils do not meet A3 standards. If Mobil 1 is truly superior to other American motor oils and if Mobil 1 can be used all over the world, it seems every single viscosity of Mobil 1 would meet A3 standards.

People might put down these other 'synthetic' oils, but Quaker State does mention A3 in the product data sheet for the full synthetic Quaker State oil, even if that means it only meets A3 protection standards. And so does Chevron Supreme Synthetic. Why do most of the Mobil 1 oils list A1 and A5?

Mystic, I've pointed this out before, but it's a fallacy to think that because a particular grade of Mobil 1 isn't rated A3 it is somehow "defective." The fact is, most of the grades of Mobil 1 sold in the US are DESIGNED to be A5 oils. A5 is just as tough a spec as A3, just with lower HT/HS requirements.

Most Mobil1 oils sold here were developed for this market, this is the main reason not all of them meet A3/B3 specs. There are quite a few M1 oils that meet A3/B3 specs but are not sold here: 5W-40 Synt S Special, 10W-40 Super S and 5W-50.
Unfortunately for us marketing dictates what is sold on this side of the pond.

...one more thing, you said:
quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
If Mobil 1 is truly superior to other American motor oils and if Mobil 1 can be used all over the world, it seems every single viscosity of Mobil 1 would meet A3 standards.

I don't know how one can say that Mobil1 oils are superior to other American oils, I can think of a few manufacturers that produce oils as good as M1, some of them don't even have API specs, not to mention ACEA
tongue.gif

[ September 20, 2003, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: F1Crazy ]

I think it would be great if someday American and European motor oils someday met the same standards.

I remember a long time ago coming across some information about a Quaker State motor oil that was being sold in Europe. It meet all kinds of standards and appeared great, at least on paper. But Quaker State motor oil being sold in the USA were different then this Quaker State oil being sold in Europe.

We see the same thing with the German Castrol. It is a world apart from the Castrol Syntec made in the USA. For whatever reason Castrol has decided to sell this German Castrol in the USA. The American made Castrol Syntec sits on store shelves and gathers dust.

But on the other hand, while we look at the great motor oils in Europe and wonder why we can't get them here, the typical motor oil used in Europe is probably more like the typical motor oil sold in the USA. Most people in Europe probably have older cars and cars in poor condition and cheap cars and they are probably using the A1 oil, right? The rich car driving the sports car has the A3 oil.

F1Crazy, I think I will have to stay away from the Amsoil oils. As far as I know they still don't have an API starburst symbol (whatever value that symbol may or may not have) except for the Amsoil oils developed especially for 7500 mile oil changes. In my owner's manual it says that I have to use oils with the starburst. And I have a new car.

Maybe I will just order some more Schaeffer's Oil. It is the one oil that does not seem to have a drawback. It does have an API starburst symbol. I don't think I have seen a single poor UOA from somebody who was using it. It is reasonable in cost. My previous car ran well with it. It is available-unlike the mysterious German Castrol (which is a great oil). The blend can be used in the wintertime and probably flows about as well as Mobil 1. The blend has something like 25% actual synthetic unlike blends from other companies that maybe have 10% synthetic. It does not have the baggage of the Group III motor oils (are they really synthetic-what is synthetic?).

There are two other oils that have produced great results in my car. One is the mysterious Castrol (is Castrol really serious about selling this oil in the USA?).

The other is Chevron. I had great results with the conventional Chevron Supreme. Car ran great with it. I have never used the Chevron Synthetic. And I cannot find the Chevron 5W-30-only the 10W-30 Chevron Supreme Synthetic. Weird, huh?

The more I think about it, the more I think I will use Chevron Supreme conventional for the next oil change (since I will do a change at about 500 miles) and then after the Schaeffer's arrives go with Schaeffer's from then on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back