NEWS FLASH: No more PEA in Techron Concentrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rjacket
Strangely enough, their Techron & Proguard website is down. When I looked a few weeks ago, the reference to PEA was there.

Also strange how they can't spell properly. Their non working link says:

"Visit Techron Concetrate Plus"

You found the same thing as I did.

I believe I visited those old sites early this year and they were still functioning and had specific references to PEA and the percentage of detergent. Now it's all gone.

I really think they are trying to hose the consumer because during the past 6 months we have seen all the discounts on Techron Concentrate seemingly every month, before this it was not that common to get deals on that product.

Originally Posted By: 91344George
I forgot to add that just last year the Chevron website pages about Techron specifically mention PEA and the percentage of it in the Concentrate consumer item, now on the new consumer site all references to PEA are GONE! Completely!

Oh well. All I know is that I have used it in the last year and it worked very well.

From Redline MSDS.

30 - 50% PolyEther Amine
5-20% Aliphatic Naphtha - TWA - 100 ppm - CAS # 64742-88-7

Originally Posted By: cchase
Techron is PEA. I really doubt it no longer has it.

The question really is "how much" it appears that the marketing arm of Chevron wants consumers to "forget" about that now. That makes me suspicious.

I bet it is no longer the 50% it contained last year, and the bottom line is that less than 30% PEA concentration negates the reason to use it because the heavy duty cleaning properties are gone.

Techron is PEA. I really doubt it no longer has it.

The question really is "how much" it appears that the marketing arm of Chevron wants consumers to "forget" about that now. That makes me suspicious.

I bet it is no longer the 50% it contained last year, and the bottom line is that less than 30% PEA concentration negates the reason to use it because the heavy duty cleaning properties are gone.

huh? That's highly concentration dependent, isnt it? 30% in the bottle equates to what in the tank? What if something else works synergistically just as well?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

huh? That's highly concentration dependent, isnt it? 30% in the bottle equates to what in the tank? What if something else works synergistically just as well?

I'm saying if the % is significantly less than 30%, and I have a feeling it IS than you ARE losing the cleaning ability of the Concentrate, after all the weaker product they have always sold the Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner has PEA but very low levels of it, making it not as effective at cleaning intake parts.

Also what many consumers don't realize is that PEA compared to other competing gas detergents has one very beneficial advantage that all the others do NOT, PEA DOES NOT leave behind its own residue when it is cleaning carbon, all other competitors do this to some degree. Only PEA can claim NO residue left behind. That is the best magic of PEA.

You get a truly clean part.

Last edited:

I'm saying if the % is significantly less than 30%, and I have a feeling it IS than you ARE losing the cleaning ability of the Concentrate, after all the weaker product they have always sold the Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner has PEA but very low levels of it, making it not as effective at cleaning intake parts.

Also what many consumers don't realize is that PEA compared to other competing gas detergents has one very beneficial advantage that all the others do NOT, PEA DOES NOT leave behind its own residue when it is cleaning carbon, all other competitors do this to some degree. Only PEA can claim NO residue left behind. That is the best magic of PEA.

You get a truly clean part.

People buy Techron because it works. They don't buy it because PEA is slapped across the front label... Most consumers do not even know what PEA is. Like someoneelse stated, not all MSDS's have everything listed.

I've been waiting for someone to mention this. Amsoil took PEA (3 forms, by the way) off their PI MSDS many months ago. Amsoil still contains 40-50% PEA. Same formula. Still works great. No one noticed the MSDS change.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I've been waiting for someone to mention this. Amsoil took PEA (3 forms, by the way) off their PI MSDS many months ago. Amsoil still contains 40-50% PEA. Same formula. Still works great. No one noticed the MSDS change.

So maybe it is a regulatory change or something. Has the health & safety of PEA been relegated to a non-issue? A "trade secret"?

Interesting.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

People buy Techron because it works. They don't buy it because PEA is slapped across the front label... Most consumers do not even know what PEA is. Like someoneelse stated, not all MSDS's have everything listed.

So why was Chevron plastering the PEA factor all over their consumer website and on TV as well for the past couple of years? Hmmm?
smirk.gif

(Yes, I saw at least one ad spot that makes a big point of selling on the PEA detergent patented by Chevron.

Just because we don't see something on a silly MSDS doesn't mean it's not in the product. MSDS is not a formula. People are kinda ignorant in the MSDS department.

I'll quote Pablo just so its here again.

An MSDS is not the "end all" of product formulation information.

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
How can we test for PEA content?

GC-FID

Thanks, I think?

Just a simple man here, who has no clue what that means.

Is there a reference here on the board?

Thanks Again, Jim

Just because we don't see something on a silly MSDS doesn't mean it's not in the product. MSDS is not a formula. People are kinda ignorant in the MSDS department.

+3

Originally Posted By: Capa

I don't agree.

EXCEPT that MSDS gave the consumer the ability to see the value of the product by the listing of the % of PEA.

Of course Chevron's own consumer info sites did that as well, until recently.

LESS INFORMATION = BAD FOR THE CONSUMER.

Last edited:
The cleaners that I have used like Techron, Redline SL-1 and BG44K work as well now as they have in the past and I have used them for years. If these companies have come up with a formula that works without PEA, great... But I doubt it.

Is PEA safe to drink? If not it better be somewhere on an MSDS sheet. I know I have a MSDS Book in my shop that has all of the fluids and chemicals I have delivered. Including Redline, BG, Napa, CRC, Ect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back