Newest grade of Magnatec in Germany is 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:
You KNOW it CAN'T be a III/V blend or Castrol would sure enough be selling it for top dollar.

Well, like I said in an earlier post, before my Wal-Mart stopped carrying it, the Startup was more expensive than the Syntec Blend.

Yes, but Castrol doesn't advertise it as even being a blend. Don't you think if it were soley group III and IV, they would? I mean, these people are the whole reason we call group III synthetic!

quote:

After the start up period has concluded, Castrol GTX Start Up, with its synthetic boosters, will provide continued protection for your engine.

That's the only synth language on the Start-Up product page.

As I've said before, to advertise this as a blend would cut into the Syntec Blend line. But prices don't lie. When this oil has a retail price point that is higher than Syntec Blend you can bet it is a synthetic blend. It's probably a Grp II/Grp V blend, but if the formula is the same as Magnatec, then it's a Grp III/Grp V blend.

Forget about the Syntec Blend line! What about the Syntec FULL SYNTH line? If Castrol has no problem calling group III "synthetic" here in the USA, why wouldn't they call a III/V blend Syntec? Why would they call it a blend? The'd be selling it as Syntec!

Forget Europe, they don't blend everything in one place for the whole world market. Ever notice the "Not for Sale Outside the Americas" notice on many Castrol bottles?

Look, neither one of us knows for sure what base oils are used. My theories are just as valid as yours, so I don't intend to forget them just because you happen to think your line of reasoning is more cogent than mine. As far as I'm concerned, I've addressed your counterpoints fully. You just don't happen to like my conclusions.

NB: If you look at the MSDS sheets for Syntec you will see that the CAS # for PAO is listed. While the primary base oil used in Syntec is Group III, there is still some PAO in there.

Take it easy fellas. Knowing what it's made of isn't that important. The important stuff is what AndyH already posted on page 1:
"ACEA A3 rated, 12.1 cSt @ 100°C.
API SL/CF
ACEA A3/B3/B4
MB 229.31
VW 502 00/505 00
BMW Longlife-04"

Nice resume!

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Look, neither one of us knows for sure what base oils are used. My theories are just as valid as yours, so I don't intend to forget them just because you happen to think your line of reasoning is more cogent than mine. As far as I'm concerned, I've addressed your counterpoints fully. You just don't happen to like my conclusions.

All I am saying is your conclusions don't make business sense for Castrol. They'd basically be selling Syntec on the cheap.

1. Castrol considers Group III base oil as synthetic and markets such group III oils as Syntec

2. Castrol's Syntec is sold for approx $5 or more per quart, using group III oil

3. Castrol GTX Start Up sells for $2-3.50 per quart

If the oil was a mix of group III and V, it's Syntec Why not make the profit of Syntec?
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JAG:
Take it easy fellas. Knowing what it's made of isn't that important. The important stuff is what AndyH already posted on page 1:
"ACEA A3 rated, 12.1 cSt @ 100°C.
API SL/CF
ACEA A3/B3/B4
MB 229.31
VW 502 00/505 00
BMW Longlife-04"

Nice resume!

Yes, it is. Too bad it's not the resume for the Startup sold in the US. These specs belong the GTX Magnatec 9 sold in Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back