Newest grade of Magnatec in Germany is 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The newest grade of Castrol Magnatec in Germany is 5w30 and it meets BMW LL04 specs:

-

Castrol Germany Magnatec 5w30

NB: Castrol GTX Magnatec is marketed in the US and Canada as GTX Startup.

It's Group III/V in Europe, and given the price in the US I'd say it's Group III/V here as well.

Downunder, we've got the mass marketted 10W-40, which is a mineral plus their UMA, a 10W-30 "workshop oil", which they market as a "semi synthetic", and their 5W-40 "Full synthetic", which has a pour point of minus 36C (18 degrees higher than D-1), leading me to think that it's prolly a GrIII with their UMA.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
Downunder, we've got the mass marketted 10W-40, which is a mineral plus their UMA,

UMA?

Castrol's patented UMA - "Unique Molecular Attraction".

Downunder, you've got to have lots of TLAs associated with your product.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
Castrol's patented UMA - "Unique Molecular Attraction".

Downunder, you've got to have lots of TLAs associated with your product.

Gotcha. GTX Startup, Syntec Blend, and Syntec are the only oils in the US where the advertising mentions anything about UMA or some derivation thereof.

Nice...ACEA A3 rated, 12.1 cSt @ 100°C.

More specs:
API SL/CF
ACEA A3/B3/B4
MB 229.31
VW 502 00/505 00
BMW Longlife-04

My guess is we won't see this oil in the U.S., but I'd love to be proven wrong.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
Is this oil the same as the US version of Start Up ??
dunno.gif

I'm sure the basic formula is the same, but our 5w30 couldn't meet A3. It's too thin.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
It's Group III/V in Europe, and given the price in the US I'd say it's Group III/V here as well.

G-man: Isn't Start-Up under $3.00 a qt. If so it seems like a good price for a Gr.III/V oil especially when compared to Castrols own Syntec.

quote:

Originally posted by pbm:

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

G-man: Isn't Start-Up under $3.00 a qt. If so it seems like a good price for a Gr.III/V oil especially when compared to Castrols own Syntec.

Not around here. In fact, before my Wal-Mart stopped carrying it, the GTX Startup was more expensive than Syntec Blend.

I just put Castrol Start-Up 5W30 in my car. I was surprised how clear the oil was when it came out of the container. I am going to use it for a few OCIs. The problem is that it has gotten much harder to find these days. An oil using Group II/V sounds like a good combo to me.

G-man: A local chain in my area (Strauss Auto) is currently selling Start-Up for $2.39 (while supplies last- as they will not be carrying it anymore). Do you know what the cSt@100C* for the 5w30 is (is it a thick or thin 30 wt.) I might pick some up even though I need more oil like a hole in the head. Is it really a Gr.lll/Gr.lV blend?

quote:

Originally posted by pbm:
Is it really a Gr.lll/Gr.lV blend?

No, it's either a Group II/Group V blend or a Group III/Group V blend. No Group IV (PAO).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back