newer castrol gtx

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure than anyone on this board knows until we see some analysis. My gut feeling (based on nothing) is that it is an improvement over the standard. The GTX was good to begin with.

I would pick any GF-4 conventional oil over a non-GF-4 conventional oil. That's just me though.

The Stratus has had SM/GF-4 Castrol GTX for the past few thousand miles. Overall, it's a good oil, I'm sure, but I was more impressed with the SM/GF-4 MaxLife and the SL/GF-3 Mobil-1 RedLine combo (3.5:1). All were 5W-30. The GTX had the most clicking noises at startup, which are not noticable with MaxLife, and only slightly with the M1+RL combo. The engine felt like it didn't rev up as quickly with the GTX. Also, the extreme cold starting was much better with MaxLife and the best with the M1+RL. For the current prices I see for regular GTX ($1.92), it should be a good oil, but I spent $.20 more per quart for MaxLife this time. For $1.92, I will be looking for other oils. Although at $1.12, the SM/GF-4 Trop Artic is very appealing! And when the SM/GF-4 Mobil-1 arrives, granted it is a new formulation, that will again be the choice pick.

quote:

Originally posted by DSteven:
Although at $1.12, the SM/GF-4 Trop Artic is very appealing! And when the SM/GF-4 Mobil-1 arrives, granted it is a new formulation, that will again be the choice pick.

If I could find the TropArtic here I would run (not walk) to get it. It's a Conoco oil which for positive has a group III base. I'd use it in a heartbeat.
smile.gif

http://lubes.conoco.com/GF-4_News.htm

That is nice to know. A new Sam's Club opened up close to my house. They carry TropArtic for the $1.12 price.

quote:

Originally posted by moontan:
is the newer sm/gf-4 stuff that much better than the previous sl/gf-3 rated?

I guess when some UOA show up it will tell the truth. Until than it would be just a guessstimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back