Newegg hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a notification that a charge from Newegg was declined. I didn't place an order, and in fact haven't since 2011, so my card info was expired (and has since been removed). Someone also tried to change my email address. I changed my password and checked my cards to make sure no other charges have been attempted, but it sure looks like someone got into Newegg's data.

I'd suggest changing your password if you have an account. I've been trying to contact them but they have 40 minute wait times currently, so I guess I'm not the only one.

NewEgg actually has a history of getting compromised; each time, their attitude has been very poor. Lately my faith in them has been waning as a result of this and other things (the customer service in general isn't even half as good as what it was a few years ago).

I would say it's very possible they've been compromised again and it's why I don't save my CC info with them or anyone, for that matter.

Changing your password and deleting stored CC info is a smart move.

Yeah, I've been finding that out with Google searching. The service was the reason I haven't used them since 2011 (as I recall, they handled a mistake on their end very poorly and I decided that was it).

I guess I won't wait 40 minutes on the phone to have them tell me to contact my local police. Amex isn't even showing it as an attempted transaction, must be a daily occurrence in the CC biz anyway.

In the past 18 months, I've had about 8 fraudulent charges at new-egg. I have never shopped at that retailer before. I close my credit card account, open a new account and within months, several more charges. Not sure where the problem is but I keep getting hacked. Quite annoying to spend several hours on the phone each time fixing this.

That's what happens when you run your Internet presence on Microsoft Windows!!! Any website with .asp or .aspx is running Windows.

I am of the feeling that you should have a credit card you use purchases, maybe a couple. And then your debit/ATM card for your main bank account, never use it for anything but ATM withdrawals, preferably with your banks ATMs.

Expect things will happen, cards will be compromised. Target was about 1 in 5 cards issued in the USA. But you still want to be able to pay mortgage and not have to give an excuse that someone stole your credit card number and drained your bank account.

I agree with that. Also, I switch the card that I use about every 3-4 months. That way I keep them active but I also know that a charge on a different card is not mine.

Originally Posted By: jdeare
Yeah, I've been finding that out with Google searching. The service was the reason I haven't used them since 2011 (as I recall, they handled a mistake on their end very poorly and I decided that was it).

I guess I won't wait 40 minutes on the phone to have them tell me to contact my local police. Amex isn't even showing it as an attempted transaction, must be a daily occurrence in the CC biz anyway.

Amex is awesome when it comes to customer service and fraud prevention.

I see no reason not to keep giving NewEgg my money, I just refuse to store my CC info with them.

I don't know what it is about Newegg, but that has happened several times on my wife's card. Somebody has attempted to use her card at Newegg, but luckily the card company caught it each time before it was completed. She has never purchased anything from Newegg, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I see no reason not to keep giving NewEgg my money, I just refuse to store my CC info with them.

Really? Using the least secure platform for E-commerce, having multiple breaches in a short period of time, lax security, and a "we don't care" attitude?

There are other vendors that take security seriously. And the first start is not running Windows on your site.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
There are other vendors that take security seriously. And the first start is not running Windows on your site.

+1000!

Originally Posted By: dparm
I would say it's very possible they've been compromised again and it's why I don't save my CC info with them or anyone, for that matter.

Very sensible. I also use a rather low limit card online, and use it only for online purchases.

From what I can tell this has been going on somewhat continuously since at least December of last year. The fact that Newegg doesn't notify anybody about a problem, doesn't seem to do anything to improve security, and puts the blame on their customers is enough reasons for me to go elsewhere (I already had anyway).

I got a notification from Amex this morning saying that the charge was declined because the CID number was entered incorrectly. So now I'm positive the breach was at Newegg, otherwise I think they would have had all my info.

I won't do business with them anymore. Lousy CS with an issue I had a few years ago and now this. No thanks Newegg.

Just wanted to let everyone know, this happened again a few minutes ago. I was sleeping but the numerous emails from Newegg kept making my ipad chime, so I woke up to see what the fuss was.

Pending charge for $9.50, using a card that was removed in July which means they don't have a correct expiration date, but still it got to the "Packaging" stage, and it's an email delivery of wireless minutes, so I don't see how that would work anyway.

This time my account password was not changed, I was still able to login using the password from July. Which I think is even more troubling.

One thing I will say, they are easy to contact through chat at 2:30 AM CST.

Supposedly my account is going to be suspended but I still have to dispute the charge with my credit card company if it goes through.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jdeare

Supposedly my account is going to be suspended but I still have to dispute the charge with my credit card company if it goes through.

Call your credit card company and have it stopped.

I used to use Newegg a lot back in 2006/2007. Eventually it got to the point where EVERY order I had with them had an issue.

The worse was when they shipped me a used, open box, DEFECTIVE motherboard ... and replaced it with another defective, open box, used motherboard.

I haven't done business with them in 3 or 4 years. Deleted CC info a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back