Newby seeking some education

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bbhero
Ahh hey wild man...

Guess what is at AAP and AZ ???
lol.gif

Mobil 1 EP High Mileage.... Seriously. I have seen in both those places... At AZ just two days ago in fact.

Maybe it was sent to those places by accident... But sure has day it was there. Surprised me a bit...

In fact M 1 EP HM is in their ad for $36.95 with a Mobil 1 oil filter... For AAP.

Yeah, I saw a jug of M1 EP HM 5W-30 at AZ tonight. I guess it's not quite Walmart-exclusive.
smile.gif

No dexos1 on the label.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
(1) Yes, Mobil 1 sold by Walmart and any other retailer are identical. There is no such thing as a different Walmart version of the same Mobil 1 line.

I've bought M1 at Wal-Mart where the label had a mention about returning used oil and filters to Wal-Mart. I thought maybe it also had its own UPC code. But other than that I'd be surprised if what's in the bottle is any different than what goes into a similar jug sold at O'Reilly's.

[Linked Image]

I've seen some really odd Mobil 1 containers before (late 90s), and I wondered if they might have been exclusive for a specific retailer. One was this 4 quart jug of Mobil 1 10W-30 in another container (with lid) that could be used as a drain pan. But the pan had a screw hole in it where a T-handle screwed into the bottle on the pan. When done the hole could be placed over the jug and with a twist of the T-handle it would drain into the jug. I never used the pan though. I bought it as an old Kragen (CSK) store for $12 back when Mobil 1 typically sold for $4/quart.

Some viscosity grades of M1 EP HM are watered-down Walmart versions of Mobil 1 according to their MSDSs, with inferior base oil.

M1 EP HM 5W-30 is good though -- similar base oil as the M1 vanilla and M1 EP 5W-30, which have 20 - 30% PAO.

http://msds.walmartstores.com/

Thanks.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Ahh hey wild man...

Guess what is at AAP and AZ ???
lol.gif

Mobil 1 EP High Mileage.... Seriously. I have seen in both those places... At AZ just two days ago in fact.

Maybe it was sent to those places by accident... But sure has day it was there. Surprised me a bit...

In fact M 1 EP HM is in their ad for $36.95 with a Mobil 1 oil filter... For AAP.

Yeah, I saw a jug of M1 EP HM 5W-30 at AZ tonight. I guess it's not quite Walmart-exclusive.
smile.gif

No dexos1 on the label.

Yeah, I saw no dexos 1 on the label as well, neither is it mentioned online.

Castrol HM, Valvoline HM, and Amazon Basics HM full synthetics are among others with dexos1 Gen 2.

I just returned from the Wal Mart near Ohio line and the Castrol HM is NOT Dexos 1 Gen 2 approved sir
wink.gif

This wal mart had "green cap" M1 0w30 that was DEXOS 1
wink.gif

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by kehyler
Hi All,

Is M1 EP HP on the thin side, middle of the pack, or on the thicker side for a 5w-30 oil? What characteristics should I look for in the product data sheet and what are the typical ranges for a 5w-30?

Link: https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-extended-performance-high-mileage

(Aside, the reason that I'm asking is that I have a 2.7 ecoboost in an F150, and I've heard that they tend to thin/shear the oil, so I'm looking for something that is a little thicker while still being the correct weight that my owner's manual calls for.)

Thanks!

-kehyler

Ford made the recommendation to use 5W30 after testing and beating the tar out of the 2.7 shear was factored and it is expected the oil will shear. It still protects.

That is a very good point. Oils are engineered to continue providing adequate protection even after extended service in nasty environments, including oil shear and also oil dilution.

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
I have never seen a high mileage oil with Dexos cert's. None

Super Tech HM 0W-20 is GTL-based, too.

[Linked Image]

LOL, I stand corrected! I even have 3 jugs of ST HM 0W20 in my stash that I bought on sale at Wally's for $9.99, It "Does" have Dexos 1 G2 cert, you are correct. Need to open my eye's....

Originally Posted by PimTac
By calling it a version you are stating that there is more than one M1 EPHM. That is not true.

If it's only available at one outlet then that is the correct way of saying it. I find it hard to believe EM would only sell it at Wally's.

It's another of EMs niche category lines.

(1) Yes, Mobil 1 sold by Walmart and any other retailer are identical. There is no such thing as a different Walmart version of the same Mobil 1 line.

(2) However, I am saying that Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage seems to be exclusive to Walmart.

Um, no. It;s not, it's sold on the web, in places like ebay...

I believe M1 EP HM is only sold by Walmart.

So, Walmart version of M1 = M1 EP HM.

In fact, you can't get its MSDS through Exxon Mobil. You need to get it from the Walmart site.

Did you ask them why?

That's a good buy by the way. For full synthetic? I usually default to supertech if there are no good sales around. Think it's a fine product.

Originally Posted by Pinoak
That's a good buy by the way. For full synthetic? I usually default to supertech if there are no good sales around. Think it's a fine product.

Yes, it was on clearance. 0W20 syn is not a big seller here for diy's, Most people with newer cars have a shop, or dealer change their oil. I only bought 3 because I could not pass up a deal, I really have too much oil already! I have a lot of PPhm, PPeuro that I paid $13.00, and $7.00 for. Nobody around this area knows about Brickseek and that some items on the shelf have been put on clearance that even the managers don't know about yet.

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
Originally Posted by Pinoak

Yes, it was on clearance. 0W20 syn is not a big seller here for diy's, Most people with newer cars have a shop, or dealer change their oil. I only bought 3 because I could not pass up a deal, I really have too much oil already! I have a lot of PPhm, PPeuro that I paid $13.00, and $7.00 for. Nobody around this area knows about Brickseek and that some items on the shelf have been put on clearance that even the managers don't know about yet.

I see. Well I doubt unui oil ever really goesbad or expires so... Those are all great finds.
I don't know about bricksee either but I'm bout to googl!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back