Newby Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking the boards for a few weeks, and have learned a lot. What a great board!

I have a 92 Explorer 4.0 OHV engine with 165,000 miles (bought new in November 1991). I need to get a few more years out of it. Currently it is used as a typical soccer mom-mobile. Lots of short trips.

Just a short history. The engine had a steady diet of Mobil 1 5w30 until about 90,000 miles, with 5000 mile OCIs. Then I switched to Pennzoil or Valvoline 5w30 dino, maintaining the 5000 mile OCI. At about 140,000 miles (about 3 years ago) the engine started using a quart between changes. Then 2. And now 3+. Have the dino oils been shearing down to a 20w and causing the oil consumption to increase? Ford does not recommend 5w20 oils for this motor. So I need a shear stable oil. I just put in Havoline 10w30. Will this fit my needs?

I have used 10w30 oils before, but the engine seems to labor in the winter until the oil warms up. Are there any shear stable 5w30 dino oils? Any other advice/comments?

You need to clean your engine out with Auto-rx. Then you should try a more shear stable oil like GC or you could go back to Mobile 1.

The 4.0 is about the only engine Ford does not recommend the 5W-20. I hate to sound like a smart @ss, but if that M1 system was working so well for you, and it sure sounds like it has been, why did you start using dino? I'd follow the above suggestion to clean the engine, and then go back to your M1 routine. If it's costs, get a UOA on the M1 oil. I'll bet you'll find that you can probably run that oil out to 7K and that would offset your costs in comparison to the dino. In the past, Vavoline had been a little skimpy with their additive package but the Pennzoil had been steady. I would suspect that two things have happened: engine wear is starting to show and thus the consumption and dino oil is shearing down. I don't care what the owners manual says, 5K is pushing it for dino oils. The M1 5W-30 is almost like a thick 20 weight oil, it's right on the border line between the two.

welcome.gif

I have heard Ford techs affectionately refer to this as the 4 Leaker V-6.
grin.gif

There may be some engine issues, but here in Tennessee, I wouldn't hesitate to try Castrol 10W-40 for now. No problem.

See if this helps the consumption.

The Valvoline and Havoline tend to burn off pretty quickly anyway, even in thicker grades in a worn engine.

I'd give Castrol a shot, before I got too drastic and run it 3K.

quote:

Originally posted by C4Dave:

I have used 10w30 oils before, but the engine seems to labor in the winter until the oil warms up. Are there any shear stable 5w30 dino oils? Any other advice/comments?

I'm with ya on the oil warm up time when it's really cold or even 32F with some engines .

Any ISLAC GF-3 dino will shear by design but some are built on the higher end of a 30wt like the Motorcraft .

I think you might do well with the 10w-30 Mobil High Mileage Blend . The PAO used is more like a cold weather performance additive and I would certainly expect it to give good protection through the summer months where you live .

In a recent test conducted this oil reduced consumption from 3 quarts to one quart over a period of time due to it's cleaning ability and how it's formulated .It has very good cold weather numbers compared to some of the other HM oils and IMO it's worth a look at for your engine . Might could even run the 10w-40 PAO Blend through summer .

The price of this blend is 2 bucks a quart....same as the other brands for the most part + you get the PAO
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

Originally posted by C4Dave:

I'm with ya on the oil warm up time when it's really cold or even 32F with some engines .

Any ISLAC GF-3 dino will shear by design but some are built on the higher end of a 30wt like the Motorcraft .

I think you might do well with the 10w-30 Mobil High Mileage Blend . The PAO used is more like a cold weather performance additive and I would certainly expect it to give good protection through the summer months where you live .

In a recent test conducted this oil reduced consumption from 3 quarts to one quart over a period of time due to it's cleaning ability and how it's formulated .It has very good cold weather numbers compared to some of the other HM oils and IMO it's worth a look at for your engine . Might could even run the 10w-40 PAO Blend through summer .

The price of this blend is 2 bucks a quart....same as the other brands for the most part + you get the PAO
cool.gif

Good idea also, I think Wal-Marts have it here now, but it may be a bit pricier here.

We're gonna be 70F to 95F for awhile so a 40 wt. might work fine.

haley ,

I saw that oil climb to a price once of 2.75 a quart so I dismissed it as a choice for a car of my own but now I see it @ 2.08 a quart and think it's a player with the rest of those HM oils.

Mobil also puts on the bottle it can be used at any stage of the engines life ....newer engines or well used
smile.gif

Good questions, Schmoe. I quit using the Mobil 1 because of valve cover leaks. I replaced the gaskets, but they are leaking again (not a pleasent job). The dino doesn't leak out as fast, and Wifey doesn't complain as much about the smell. We don't put as many miles on the Explorer anymore, and I don't mind changing it twice a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back