newby GC questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do I look for on the batch number? If I do have some of the green, does that make me cooler? My wife thinks I'm a dork right now for being excited over this.

Greetings! I have been lurking the boards for a while, and today I took the plunge, walked into the local Autozone and found a shelf full of GC. Bought 12 bottles, took 'em home, and had to open a bottle right away to look & smell. Definately smells different. The color looks more gold than green, so I assume it's the newer blend. Now comes the big question, what do I use it in? My current fleet consists of a '97 Integra (145K miles, usually run M1 5W30 every 5-7K miles), a '00 SAAB 9/5 V6 Turbo (70K miles, lately running LubroMoly 5W40 every 5K miles) and a Honda CBR954RR motorcycle (lately using the same Lubro Moly as my SAAB - shifts great with it). I live in San Diego and we're just starting to reach the warm time of year, all driving is SD commuting - stop-n-go then 85+MPH in the same trip. Should I start using the stuff in all my fleet right now? Should I wait 'till the fall? Should I pour it in the tub and splash around in it?

welcome.gif
to BITOG. I would use the GC in the Saab. It seems like a perfect fit. My VW 1.8T really loves GC......green GC that is. I'll use the gold GC, too, as soon as my green supply dries up.

Batch numbers are on the bottom. If it starts with M02,M03,M04, then, generally, it means it was made in 2002,,2003,2004 and will be the green GC. M05, as far as I know, is the new amber GC that is causing a mild uproar among loyal GC followers.

That being said, I found two bottles of amber GC at Autozone today with no batch numbers at all. Weird.

quote:

Originally posted by 1maniac:
M05, as far as I know, is the new amber GC that is causing a mild uproar among loyal GC followers.

...but NOT with the Elfemeister...and I would question the loyalty of those who change with the colors...sorry, but the Elfemeister owes it to everyone to tell it like it is.

quote:

Originally posted by 1maniac:
M05, as far as I know, is the new amber GC that is causing a mild uproar among loyal GC followers.

The very early M05 batch (maybe M0501) is also the green GC. I think the gold GC starts with M0502.

Looked quickly this morning, it's all "M05" but I didn't pay attention to the numbers after that. They all appear to be from the same 2 or 3 cases. For those who track such things; it was the AutoZone in Escondido, across the street from the DMV office, bought for $4.39qt

quote:

Originally posted by AndyH:
The very early M05 batch (maybe M0501) is also the green GC. I think the gold GC starts with M0502.

I believe you are "spot on."

So are there any other opinions? Is it "too good" to waste on an already bulletproof engine like the Integra? Is the 0W-30 range OK for a San Diego summer?

I bought 6 qts. of M0504... about two weeks ago. Just checked the color yesterday and reported my "findings" in a different GC thread on BITOG.

I mentioned that it had a green tinge (hint of a green tint) at the top of the sample I poured in a clear plastic cup. The bulk of the sample was (is) definitely amber. My sample looked the same under flourescent lighting as it did in outdoor, natural lighting.

I assumed I had the new, amber GC, but PSCHOLTE said that with the green tinge it should be the original green stuff.

I sniffed it like a wine steward samples a vintage wine. I didn't think it had a "stinky" (stanky?) aroma as was earlier reported by others to be characteristic of the amber version. To me the oil I bought had a very light, sweet, mint-like aroma.

But what do I know of smells? I've suffered from hay fever for over 40 years -- especially during the months of May and June!!! This year is no exception either.

However, I think the M0504 batch number would indicate that it is the amber GC ?????
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bob A.:
I bought 6 qts. of M0504... about two weeks ago. Just checked the color yesterday and reported my "findings" in a different GC thread on BITOG.

I mentioned that it had a green tinge (hint of a green tint) at the top of the sample I poured in a clear plastic cup. The bulk of the sample was (is) definitely amber. My sample looked the same under flourescent lighting as it did in outdoor, natural lighting.

I assumed I had the new, amber GC, but PSCHOLTE said that with the green tinge it should be the original green stuff.

I sniffed it like a wine steward samples a vintage wine. I didn't think it had a "stinky" (stanky?) aroma as was earlier reported by others to be characteristic of the amber version. To me the oil I bought had a very light, sweet, mint-like aroma.

But what do I know of smells? I've suffered from hay fever for over 40 years -- especially during the months of May and June!!! This year is no exception either.

However, I think the M0504 batch number would indicate that it is the amber GC ?????
dunno.gif

The batch # would indeed point to The Gold--BUT--the visual and olifactory descriptions you give have THE GREEN written all over them! YEP!

By the way how do your eyes and nose look with writing all over them?
grin.gif

went back out and looked; all of mine is "M0504"

I stopped in to a couple different AutoZones the last few days, none of them even stocked Syntech 0W30, went back over to the original store where I found it and bought what they had left (6 more quarts). Please don't tell my wife...

quote:

Originally posted by kttymau:
went back out and looked; all of mine is "M0504"

I stopped in to a couple different AutoZones the last few days, none of them even stocked Syntech 0W30, went back over to the original store where I found it and bought what they had left (6 more quarts). Please don't tell my wife...

ps-s-s-s-st, your secret is safe with us...the Elves promise they won't tell either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back