Newbie Want's To Know

Status
Not open for further replies.
So OK, been hanging out here a few months and this site is worth it's weight in gold. I've learned alot. And I've recommended this site to others who want good info on oil and fliters. But I've found some inconsistent statements concerning Hondas in general and I'd like to throw it out to everyone and ask for your thoughts. Here's what I've read:

1. 5W-20 oil is good for you. Use it.

2. 10K OCI's are great. Do it.

3. Change the filter every other oil change.

4. The Honda break in oil is a magic elixir. Don't change it before the recommended OCI.

We believe what Honda tells us. Yep, we have good UOA's to prove it. So Honda MUST know what's good for us. So how come....

The mere mention the factory by Fram oil filter and the guns and knives come out. "JUNK!!!" "DON'T USE IT!!" "IT WILL DESTROY YOUR ENGINE!"

And that is the inconsistency I see. If items 1 thru 4 are taken at face value then how come the
factory filter is no good? Are the Honda engineers deceiving us? What gives us the right to pick and chose what we think is OK and what isn't?

ever gut open a fram filter? I take it you have not
dunno.gif

I think what most peopel complain about is fram price. compared to their construction. compared to other filter manufacturers that put out cheaper filters and have better consruction and filter media.

if have the time and money. buy a fram filter. a purolator, wix and so on and cut them open and then from what you see inside. come to your oen comclusion of which is better price wise.

You're missing my point. Yes, I agree Frams have a less than stellar internal construction and better filters can be had at a lower price. But if Honda recommends and uses them then doesn't that raise a question of the credibility of their other recommendations like 10K OCI's, etc, etc? It does to me.

no one is right 100% of the time. not even HONDA lol.

it would only rise a question of credibility on their choice of filter.

Yes, those orange cans can really ruffle our feathers. Truth be said, they meet or exceed Honda's specs and probably cost the least for the factory. Rest assured the roadside will not be strewn with broken-down and blown-up Civics and Accords caused by defective oil filters. We all know that's the truth !!
I believe that MSDos & Windows should be shareware and it ruffles my feathers that Bill Gates can make billions (probably some jealousy in there). Same with Fram, mediocre product that sells like hot cakes.
IT JUST SHOULDN'T BE THAT WAY !!
DOES 2 + 2 REALLY HAVE TO = 4 ??!!
P.B. (slowly comin' to grips with reality)
banghead.gif
gr_eek2.gif

Maybe some of the sarcasm in my initial post is too subtle so let me give some background.

I'm an old timer. Yea, one of THOSE. 10W-40 and 3K OCI's were my mantra. Back in the dark ages I bought a 1986 Chevy. On the oil cap it said "5W-30". I said "What the ...?" The dealer said use it or your warranty goes bye-bye. So I did what I was told. And the only place at that time that I could find 5W-30 was at the dealer. It was only later that I found out 5W-30 was for CAFE, not for engine requirements. Sound familiar?

Fast forward to June 2004. I buy a 2004 Honda Civic. The day I pick up the car I look under the hood and the oil cap sez "5W-20". I said "What the ....?" At least this time the salesman didn't say use it or your warranty goes bye-bye.

So, I bring the car home. Mind you, this is before I find this site. At 1500 miles the factory fill went bye-bye. 3.4 quarts of M1 5W-30 went in. And horrors....I installed a Fram filter. And I decided since it was a synthetic oil I was gonna go 6K rather than 3K. In October 2005 I find this site. And find out I have been sinning in the worst possible fashion. Fram filter! 5W-30! 6K OCI! How can I ever repent? Well, I did. Sort of. I now use Purolator filters. But I'm sure I've ruined my engine. How? Well....that "magic" break in oil went out at 1500 miles. Actually, someone needs to PROVE to me that Honda uses a special break in oil. I personally think that's bunk. And since Honda has much tighter tolerances than other makes (yea, right) I'm sure that the 5W-30 is doing harm too. But I guess someone will chime in and say I'm OK since M1 shears down pretty quick to a 20W anyway.

So what's the point of all this dribble? There are no absolutes. And don't believe everything you're told. If someone wants to go 10K on 5W-20 then go for it. If the UOA sez OK I'm happy for you. But at the same time are MY choices incorrect? If yes, tell me why. And only facts, not opinions.

Honda has recommended OCI and filter changes further than Bitogs UOA data even have many tests on to review.

Recalling a few other whoops new car OCIs
that were changed later, I'd stick with 5K dino and filter changes until I start to see Honda
1st , 2nd and 3rd Honda 10K OCIs in the UOA section.

Hey I'm only a year past 3K OCI.

quote:

You're OK since M1 shears down to a 20W anyway

Ah Hah! Maybe..

But what if I mix in (which I do, actually) 1.5 oz./Qt with that 5W30?

Will it be thicker than a 30? Hold at 30? Shear to 20W anyway?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back