Newbie Questions-maybe you old guys, i mean experienced guys can help out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fairly new here and absolute love the opinions/information that is presented. There are some things i dont understand and wrote a Mod a question, he suggested i start a topic on it, which seems like a good idea...I asked him what TBN was and received this response: TBN,total base number.How much acid buffering ability the oil has.for short oil drain intervals,TBN is usually a waste of money.

a few questions i have are:
1. Moly: a friction modifier/friction reducer oil additive. Is that correct?

2. I have a Saturn 1999 SC2, my Son-In-Law, bless him, drove it approximately ten miles with the water pump belt off, obviously pegging the temp. gauge. My obvious question is did it tweak the head. The car runs fine at this point, has just a bit over 40,000 miles, but still i am concerned about the overheating episode. If i do a UOA it would show if there was coolant in the oil?

3. Chromium/Zinc/Manganese/Phosphorus; Just what does these measurement show/mean?

4. TBN; i seen in a VOA it was 10.8. Is the assumption that as this oil is in the car this number will decrease? At what point does it signify that the oil should be changed?

Any help appreciated!

darrell
sin city

quote:

1. Moly: a friction modifier/friction reducer oil additive. Is that correct?

MolaKule's,Topic: Additives III - Anti-oxidants/Oxidation Inhibitors Helps explain some of it.

quote:

3. Chromium/Zinc/Manganese/Phosphorus; Just what does these measurement show/mean?

Blackstone's:REPORT EXPLANATION,UNDERSTANDING THE ELEMENTS
quote:

Elements are quantified in the oil at part per million levels (PPM). This list shows the most common sources of the elements in a gasoline or diesel engine oil.

Aluminum : Pistons, bearings, cases (heads & blocks).
Chromium: Rings, a trace element in steel.
Iron: Cylinders, rotating shafts, the valve train, and any steel part sharing the oil.
Copper: Brass or bronze parts, copper bushings, bearings, oil coolers, also an additive in some gasoline engine oils.
Lead : Bearings.
Tin: Bearings, bronze parts, piston coatings.
Molybdenum: Anti-wear additive, some types of rings.
Nickel: Trace element in steel.
Manganese: Trace element, additive in gasoline.
Silver: Trace element.
Titanium: Trace element.
Potassium : Antifreeze inhibitor, additive in some oil types.
Boron: Detergent/dispersant additive, antifreeze inhibitors.
Silicon : Airborne dirt, sealers, gaskets, antifreeze inhibitors.
Sodium: Antifreeze inhibitors, additive in some gasoline engine oils.
Calcium : Detergent/dispersant additive.
Magnesium: Detergent/dispersant additive.
Phosphorus: Anti-wear additive.
Zinc: Anti-wear additive.
Barium : Detergent/dispersant additive.

LVHospiceRN ,I'm sure others will chime in here to help explain some stuff too.
cheers.gif

[ March 04, 2005, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

If you car ever blows a head gasket you'll know why. I can't think of anything you should do about it other than wait and see what happens.

Anybody want to comment on overheating the rings? I know this is a problem with overheated diesels but they have over double compression.

Steve

If the rings overheat and loose their tension is should start using oil.

quote:

Originally posted by ebaker:
If the rings overheat and loose their tension is should start using oil.

Car uses virtually no oil between 3000 mile OCI. On a different forum this engine has a oil burner reputation. I was concerned a bit about coolant in the oil because of the overheating. I met Son-In-Law, he was picking me up from an errand, and he casually mentioned the car was "running a little hot". When i looked the gauge was pegged, SIL said it had been like that since he left the house, maybe 10-12 miles. When i opened the hood the fan/water pump belt was off and the engine was doing that intense "ticking" cooling down thing. It was obviously hotter than normal.

darrell
sin city

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back