Newbie question on BMW OCI

There is no LL01 0W30 unless you are using LL01 FE (Fuel Efficiency). TPT 5W30 is LL01 which means high HTHS (that is what matters from protection and wear stand point).
Since 2018 BMW excluded 0WXX from LL01, LL04 approvals.
If you are referring to Castrol Edge 0W30 it lost approval in 2018. I personally wouldn’t use non approved oils in N20/26, B46/48/58 engines.
In older, absolutely.
Yes I was using Castrol Syntec 0W-30 and then later Castrol Edge 0W-30. When the oil I was using went on sale I stocked up so I never ran into the lost approval situation. I sold the car late last year and used the last of my oil stock on its last change.

Yes I was using Castrol Syntec 0W-30 and then later Castrol Edge 0W-30. When the oil I was using went on sale I stocked up so I never ran into the lost approval situation. I sold the car late last year and used the last of my oil stock on its last change.
Yeah, all 0W30 and 0W40 are not approved for BMW LL01 or LL04 anymore.
Perfectly fine to use in older engines.

There is no LL01 0W30 unless you are using LL01 FE (Fuel Efficiency). TPT 5W30 is LL01 which means high HTHS (that is what matters from protection and wear stand point).
Since 2018 BMW excluded 0WXX from LL01, LL04 approvals.
If you are referring to Castrol Edge 0W30 it lost approval in 2018. I personally wouldn’t use non approved oils in N20/26, B46/48/58 engines.
In older, absolutely.
IMO there is nothing wrong with LL-01FE 0W-30.

IMO there is nothing wrong with LL-01FE 0W-30.
So after doing some research around here on these forums it appears that if I use Pennzoil platinum 0/30 euro spec that meets BMW requirements and if I do it twice a year every 5000 miles I should be in great shape.

I’ve been using the LL01 0/20 weight.
My thinking is changing more frequently is cheap insurance and helps me sell the car privately.
That's a good point. For a car like yours, having an excellent service record is a real plus.

So after doing some research around here on these forums it appears that if I use Pennzoil platinum 0/30 euro spec that meets BMW requirements and if I do it twice a year every 5000 miles I should be in great shape.
Again, in European specifications grade is irrelevant. It is HTHS that matters.
PPE 0W30 is LL04 (not sure how) but in Wal Mart you can find PPE L 5W30 LL04 for $22 that is probably more shear stable and has higher HTHS.

Again, in European specifications grade is irrelevant. It is HTHS that matters.
PPE 0W30 is LL04 (not sure how) but in Wal Mart you can find PPE L 5W30 LL04 for $22 that is probably more shear stable and has higher HTHS.
You are correct. It would be euro spec 5/30.

So I have a 2019 540i with 33k mikes that I plan to keep for at least three more years. The maintenance spec is 10,000 miles for oil change interval realistically I wanna shorten that to 5000. Am I overthinking this? I don’t really drive aggressively and it’s a mix of around town and highway. But I feel like it’s the cheapest insurance and my specialized mechanic can do the change for about $100. Seems to me like very inexpensive insurance for the engine. Thoughts?
That I6 does not have lubricant related failures. Just keep the engine at stock power levels. There is one lubricant related issue with your I6 (Engine Code B58) which has to do with keeping the filter media intact when removing it from the oil filter housing. It's a big enough issue that BMW devised a tray which will allow you to slowly pull out the filter w/out getting oil all over the place.

That I6 does not have lubricant related failures. Just keep the engine at stock power levels. There is one lubricant related issue with your I6 (Engine Code B58) which has to do with keeping the filter media intact when removing it from the oil filter housing. It's a big enough issue that BMW devised a tray which will allow you to slowly pull out the filter w/out getting oil all over the place.

In B58 I think media related issue was due to batch of bad oil filters. It required removing OFH which is now 14hrs job.
Also, chain is in the back, so choice of oil is IMO very important. Though, I did not hear yet any chain related issues.

In B58 I think media related issue was due to batch of bad oil filters. It required removing OFH which is now 14hrs job.
Also, chain is in the back, so choice of oil is IMO very important. Though, I did not hear yet any chain related issues.
I’ve landed in 5k OCI with penzoil ultra platinum 5/30 euro spec and a new filter at each change.
I feel like this plan will keep engine clean and healthy and ensure next buyer pays me a fair price.

I’ve landed in 5k OCI with penzoil ultra platinum 5/30 euro spec and a new filter at each change.
I feel like this plan will keep engine clean and healthy and ensure next buyer pays me a fair price.
And you'll do that by using the proper oil with the proper approval.

I've been running my 4-series on a 10k OCI and the valvetrain was spotless at 55k miles. However it's hard to quantify the value of what makes one feel better. Just remember the majority of buyers will not care about the additional oil changes. They're still going to nickel-dime you on resale because the expensive items for a second owner are valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, intercooler coolant system leaks, etc.

Just don't tune the engine for more power. No no no.

I've been running my 4-series on a 10k OCI and the valvetrain was spotless at 55k miles. However it's hard to quantify the value of what makes one feel better. Just remember the majority of buyers will not care about the additional oil changes. They're still going to nickel-dime you on resale because the expensive items for a second owner are valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, intercooler coolant system leaks, etc.

I think we all fret about oil impacting engine life, but this series kind of dulled my anxiety re: changing oil every 100mi in the pursuit of lubrication bliss.

V10 M5, 142k mi, abused to hell and back, 0 wear on the engine with dubious maintenance and a bottle of "STP Euro 5w-40" in the trunk.

I think we all fret about oil impacting engine life, but this series kind of dulled my anxiety re: changing oil every 100mi in the pursuit of lubrication bliss.

V10 M5, 142k mi, abused to hell and back, 0 wear on the engine with dubious maintenance and a bottle of "STP Euro 5w-40" in the trunk.

LOL..Indeed. He has dropped about $15k in that M5. The Alpine B7 is going to be big $$$ since he is having the cylinders sleeved due to carbon scoring.

Pretty much what I experienced as a 2nd owner on this X5. Carfax looked okay, oil changes at the dealer it’s whole life, at about 10-12k intervals. But still was able to talk down the dealer a bit more as was going to need a few things. So got a good deal on it. Oil pan gasket was $2400 at my Indy Euro shop.

Back