Newbie question...Castrol GTX vs. Chevron

Status
Not open for further replies.
New guy here. I have read a lot of the oil analysis on this site, very interesting and informative info. Any one have an opinion of Castrol GTX vs. Chevron Supreme in 5w30? I know the Checron is a group II+ base, unsure about the base oil for Castrol. I have a 2002 Ford Ranger with 3.0 and total of 13,000 miles, I stick to 4K change intervals. Both oils seem to do well in UOA, any takers? Thanks.
patriot.gif

I would recommend the Castrol GTX to make use of the bit of moly they provide in that formula, which is not in the Chevron formula (at leas not to my knowledge). It works well for 4000 miles, I wouldn't take it any higher than that.

I have a used oil analysis of Castrol GTX 5w-30 compared to Havoline synthetic 10w-30 in low mileage interval, the Castrol performed about the same as the Havoline. This is a bit different than what you are comparing, but it shows that the GTX works well in 4000 miles or less IMO.

I think GTX is a great oil which shows very good oil analysis wear metal numbers, but it does seem to thin out fast and it's TBN doesn't stay up too long. It's a good 3-5k oil, but even 5k could be pushing it in some cases.

As an experiment I'm trying out the GTX High Mileage in my mom's car to see if this stuff might hold up a bit longer. I'm hoping this stuff contains a 10% ester mix in it (like Maxlife supposedly does) and might show itself to be a good choice that holds it's viscosity better.

[ February 16, 2003, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

What about Pennzoil high mileage?

One thing I have noticed is that cold wx performance tends to suffer on the 10w30 high mileage oils...thicker I guess.

Mobil 1 15w50 is just as capable in the cold. Maybe I'll try that to test wear reduction.

As Patman said the Castrol seems to thin out. You can check the oil analysis posts to see if the 10W-30 holds up better. But the 10W-30 Chevron Supreme, seems to be top notch. Welcome to the board.
welcome.gif

Thanks for the replies and for the welcome, Al. I am leaning towards the Chevron party because they have great access to product info. and data sheets and I know their hydrocracked/isodewaxed base oil is tops. I may do a UOA after I have used the Chevron a couple of times. I am using 5w30 even though Ford calls for 5w20 because this is my third Ranger with the 3.0 and 5w30 along with Motorcraft filters has always worked well for me.
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back