newbie question about synthetics and regular oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
One problem I could foresee with that, is if you get confused with all of the switching, and accidentally put extra virgin olive oil in there.
tongue.gif

Absolutely no problem at all. Syntec makes some engines run much smoother.
grin.gif
grin.gif

If you should get a bit more noise, don't worry about it.

It's compatible and you won't have any problems.

I posted a topic a while back where Toyota says not to switch back and forth between synthetic and dino. They say once you use synthetic you should continue to use it.

(If you decide to use synthetic oil for the engine, it is best not to switch until the first scheduled oil change. Synthetic oil should meet or exceed the specifications provided in your Owner's Manual. Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend a longer oil change interval. Also, once synthetic oil is used, you should keep using it and not switch back and forth with natural petroleum-based oil.)

http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyota.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=4ildx*4h&p_lva=&p_faqid=10&p_created=993246072&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTgwJnBfcGFn ZT0x&p_li=

[ February 27, 2004, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
I posted a topic a while back where Toyota says not to switch back and forth between synthetic and dino. They say once you use synthetic you should continue to use it.

(If you decide to use synthetic oil for the engine, it is best not to switch until the first scheduled oil change. Synthetic oil should meet or exceed the specifications provided in your Owner's Manual. Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend a longer oil change interval. Also, once synthetic oil is used, you should keep using it and not switch back and forth with natural petroleum-based oil.)

http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyota.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=4ildx*4h&p_lva=&p_faqid=10&p_created=993246072&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTgwJnBfcGFn ZT0x&p_li=

But he only ran Syntec once. He didn't ask if changing back and forth every OCI was good for the engine.
Having only done 1 OCI with synthetic he won't encounter any difficulties.
I do agree with the Toyota's response that ping ponging back and forth is not the best for an engine.

Just curious if its ok to switch from Synthetic back to regular?
I've used Castrol Synthetic only once and want to switch it back to regular oil next oil change.
Thanks in advance for your help!

you bet! I switch back and forth seasonally all the time. (synthetic in winter, dino 10w30 in summer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back