Newbie post

Status
Not open for further replies.
I browsed several topics and tried a search but was not able to locate an answer to my questions. Please help out a new person trying to learn about oil.

Based upon my needs I have decided upon using Chevron Supreme dino for both of my Hondas. A 2002 CRV-EX which recommends 5W-20 and a 2000 Accord SE which recommends 5W-30. I currently have 5W-30 in the CRV and 10W-30 in the Accord.
Will I do any harm to either engine running 5W-30 or 10W-30 over the long term.

My weather is in the 90's several months a year and usually have 2-3 months of temperatures in the teens during the winter. Both cars are garage kept. The Accord has a twice daily commute of under 5 miles each way. I am not concerned about gas mileage and not too worried about warranty (the Accord will be out of warranty in 4K miles anyway).

I currently change the oil as recommended by severe maintenance schedule (every 3,750 miles for the Accord and every 5,000 miles for the CRV). Replacing with Champion SuperTech filter at every oil change.

It is time to change the oil in the CRV and I plan to send off the Chevron off for lab analysis and will post the results here since I saw several people interested in seeing how this $1 oil holds up in the real world.

What are the ramifications and differences of using 5W-30 instead of the 5W-20 recommended by Honda? What would happen if I used the 10W-30? I just want to use whichever is most likely to give me longterm engine protection.

I appreciate your feedback since I am not nearly as knowledgable as most of the members on this site.

Running a 5w30 or even a 10w30 in place of the 5w20 will have no harmful effects on your engine whatsoever. As a matter of fact I think it's better for it, the 5w20 oil is simply a fuel economy oil, and I don't think it will be able to handle hard driving very well. It'll shear back way too easily at high rpms.

Thanks for your response.

What about the difference between 5W-30 and 10W-30? What are the pros and cons of each? Would you recommend that I continue with the regimen that I am using currently with the 5W-30 in the CRV and the 10W-30 in the Accord?

I personally don't care much for 5w30, as I think that the extra viscosity index improvers that it has (compared to 10w30) makes it a bit lesser of an oil. It'll thin out quicker and won't last for as long of a drain interval as 10w30 will. Plus if you choose the right 10w30 with a low pour point, you can use it in the coldest weather. The difference in pour point between a 5w30 and a 10w30 in most brands of oil is only a couple of degrees, so I don't see a problem running 10w30 in cold weather. The 5w30 will give a tiny bit better gas mileage, but that's about it. I keep 5w30 in my wife's car, but that's because she doesn't listen to me and she drives it hard even when the engine is still warming up. So under that circumstance I feel that her engine is slightly better protected by the 5w30. I myself like to drive a car very gently while it's still warming up.

I think you will find no one on this board who recommends the 5W-20. The 10W-30 in your climate would also be better than the 5W-20 as Patman indicated. Welcome to the board.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the feedback. I was thinking all along that 10W-30 would be better for both vehicles in the long run but wanted to run it by some "oil guys".

I will be changing the oil this weekend in the CRV and plan to send it to Blackstone for an analysis. The CRV currently has Chevron 5W-30 with about 4,900 miles. The Dealer changed the oil at 3,800 and I put in the Chevron at 7,800 miles. Is it too early to get a meaningful analysis now at 12,700 miles?

It's never too early to get analysis done! It's good to see what's happening early on, to establish a trend. It's also interesting to see someone do analysis on brand new engines and see how the results change as the engine breaks in. I can't wait for the day I buy my brand new Corvette and have that initial factory fill analyzed at my first oil change (which will be at 500 miles!)
smile.gif

Outlaw,

Glad you're with us. Go for the 10W30. The other STUFF is CAFE FLUFF.
grin.gif
(Maybe I should copywrite that????)

Since you recognized that you are actually running severe service, I would say you're a very knowledgeable motorist.

I prefer the 10W30 as a good all around weight of oil because of the oil film. And if your temps go down to less than -30F, go for a good full synth or a blend like Schaeffer's #703.

And by all means post your analysis. This gives people the opportunity to compare oils with types of driving.

BTW, if you could, try and list the following before the actual analysis figures:

1. Type of Oil (Brand Name, SAE Viscosity Grade)
2. Type of Vehicle and Year
3. Miles on Engine, Tranny, or Diff (Transaxle) depending on fluid
4. Miles on Oil
5. How much oil used to "TOP-OFF" before Analysis was taken.
6. Types of weather Driven.
7. Your driving Style (Daily commute, granny style, hog-wild, occasional racing, etc).
8. Type of Filter(s) used.
9. Any additives, flushes, or neautralizers used in oil.

And TBN's and NOx readings are important as well.

Thanks

As said: never too early to start a trend analisis. See what's happening. As for visc - here we have parts of the country where 130 F is normal in summer and 20 in winter, others are 30 in the morning and 90 in the afternoon, other parts where it is 20 to 50 year round. I sell Chevron Supreme 5w30 to the Hyundai and Ford network for the entire country in all engines, from 3 cyl to the F350's. They don't want anything else. Personally I'd stock the 10w30 if anyone would buy it, but this country loves 20w50 and straight 50 wt. They also think an oil is good if it pegs the oil pressure guage.

Widman,
Yea, those pressure gages were meant to pegged and oil filters meant to be blown, like split down the middle.
shocked.gif

Have you suggested 15W40 as an alternative to the straight weights?

Oh yeh, in our 6 years that has been a major campaign. First year sales were 80% 40 and 50 wt even after sales pitches. So far this year 1.9% is 40, and all 50 goes into final drives of old Cat equipment. I once convinced an Engineer to switch his Mercedes 190 from SAE 40 SC to 20w50 SH/CG-4. Two days later he called me to complain that his oil pressure was down. I said great, that's what we need to hear. 3 months later, while still "testing" in his car, he lost 11 dump truck engines on SAE 40 SC/CC operating at 20 F. For the last 5 years he has bought $15,000 a month from me, and every for every piece of equipment he buys he calls me for oil recommendations.

OutlawTitan-Welcome. Please consider Terry Dyson for your oil analysis. Do a search (Dyson Analysis) and you will find him. He's on this board alot and one heck of a great guy. I hear he's better than Blackstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back