Newbie needs help with specific oil/filter recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will probably trade off the Sienna in a couple of years so I will probably stick with the 3000 mile changes I have been doing on it. The truck however I will probably keep until it falls apart so I might consider going to mobil one in it.

So you think that the PZ will hold up ok with 3000 mile changes in this harsh hard enviroment? Thats good to know.

What weight of oil should I run in these vehicles? I have been using 10-30 as a rule.

I agree that M1 would prolong the life of your engine but you are beginning to reach the "higher mileage" mark too. I have heard of some vehicles getting some minor oil leaks when switching to synthetic (specificlly M1) because it contains more detergent and will dislodge some crud that has settled in some seals. However, all my cars which got dino oil and then got switched over to synthetic never devloped a noticeable leak. If you do switch to M1 and develop an unwanted drip or two, you could try the "high mileage" oils which may swell the seals and stop the minor leak (I have only "heard" of this occuring as well).

You already have a good filter, name brand dino oil, and maintenace schedule which should provide a long life to the vehicles. Look at your owners manual for proper oil weight. Since you are in TX, I would think 10w30 is fine.

Chad L

I think you're doing fine.
grin.gif

If you want to go for Mobil 1, you might try the SUV/Truck formula It's a 5W-40 and may not be on the shelves yet.

Check with you local Autozone.

I think you are on the right track. Wix is a good filter, Pennzoil is a good oil and 10w30 is about perfect for your climate. I really don't see a need to change to synthetic in relatively high mileage vehicles. Nice work!
bowdown.gif

BUSHMAN, If you do the change half as often with the Mobil 1 and look at the cost/benefit then I would go with the Mobil 1. Oil cost more, but less oil used, less filters and less service plus I believe a better oil. I have Sienna and better use the synthetic.....

Bush

I see that the truck is used often, daily, but then the mileage is very low, if I assume (please correct me with details).

Mileage should not be your only indication for an Oil change.

If it is only used for approx. 100 to 150 miles each week, then your oil changes would be only twice a year.
Once the oil is run through an engine I feel that it should stay in for 5000km (3000mi) OR 3 months, since it is under severe operating conditions.

Another note is to consider the type of drive into work, is the engine able to rev and blow out some of the carbon in the cylinders during the commute?

Our 2000 Camry here is used primarily by my mother in law, and she drives it to school daily (+/- 20 miles) I use 50:50 Synthetic Walmart and Walmart special of the day Dino like Quaker State. I try to take it on the highway once a week for 20minutes or more when visiting relatives across town.

First of all, Thank you for all of the informative repies. This is one of the nicest forums on the net! I must make a quick plug here for another forum that I am actively involved in as a moderator. Please consider visiting us over at www.candlepowerforums.com I know you are probably thinking "so its about flashlights, ok big deal" People over there are just as obsessive about lighting insturments and tools as you guys over here are about your vehicles. I believe there is room for cross addiction here!!!

I did fail to mention that I do change the oil not at every 3000 miles on the Truck but at 3 months because I ALWAYS hit 3 months before I hit 3000 miles.

I may have to do a cost benefit analysis on M1 vs dino on the van considering I would change it at 6000 miles instead of 3000 and see how I come out!

While I am at it, my father in law uses Havoline supreme and AC Delco filters for his Buick and Chevy truck, any recommendations that I could pass on to him?

I do apreciate all of the help so far and look foward to being accepted as "one of the boys" over here at BITOG (is that right)?

Best regards, Bushman

"While I am at it, my father in law uses Havoline supreme and AC Delco filters for his Buick and Chevy truck, any recommendations that I could pass on to him?" Sounds like he is doing just fine.
cheers.gif

Also on this truck of mine, since I am changing the penzoil 10-30 out at every 3 months (less than 3000 miles) is it ok to change the oem toyota or wix filter out every OTHER oil change? I have been reading here on the forums that filters should last at least 5000 miles.... It is a smallish filter so it shouldnt trap more than about 1/2-3/4 quart of the old oil...

I know that these types of questions are probably asked all the time over here on your board, but please bear with me. I have a 1998 Toyota T-100 v-6 pickup that is driven about 10000 miles a year. It is used for to and from work and does very light hauling in the bed only (no towing) Has 87,000 mile on it and was bought with 81,000 miles on it. I don't have any records on the vehicle. A typical trip to work and home is about 4 miles and I do go home for lunch every day.

My second vehicle is a 2000 Toyota Sienna van with 68000 miles on it. It drives 20000 miles a year and is used mainly for trips around town and does quite a bit of idling, especially in the summer where it will idle sometimes up to 1 hour at a time 5-6 times a month through the summer months. We live in texas and it gets very very hot and dusty out here. (Harsh conditions I know)
It was bought at 33000 miles and again no records on it either.

Currently using either Wix or Toyota OEM filters and Penzoil 10-30 bought at wal mart.

Question: I am considering going synthetic. Is Mobil one the choice? Is this choice of filter fine?

I am not interested in going totally overboard with bypass filters and such, but I do need these vehicles, (especially the truck) to last a long long time.

What is my best bang for the buck. I am not able to go overboard financially, but am willing to use quaility oils and filters.

Also what would be my change interval if I did go to full synthetic given the driving conditions above.

Many thanks for your input.

Bushman the newbie.

I think a lot depends on how long you want to keep your car. The penzoil is fine with 3000 mile changes if you trade cars every 10 years. If you keep cars almost forever like I do the best bang for the buck is Mobil 1 10w-30 with 6000 mile changes. Your filter selection is great and one of the best either wix or OEM.
I have based this on UOA reports on this site plus people who have used Mobil 1 for 250,000+ miles ,I have talked with.

What is the recommended place to get an oil analysis done. I don't mean to be cheap, But I do need to shop by price. I guess all I really need is a generic report.

quote:

Originally posted by Bushman:
Also on this truck of mine, since I am changing the penzoil 10-30 out at every 3 months (less than 3000 miles) is it ok to change the oem toyota or wix filter out every OTHER oil change? I have been reading here on the forums that filters should last at least 5000 miles.... It is a smallish filter so it shouldnt trap more than about 1/2-3/4 quart of the old oil...

My personal opinion is that it is best to use a new filter when putting in new oil. Some of the more qualified people here may know something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back