Newbie here with an oil question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new to this board, but I've read a few articles and broused through forums quite a bit. I find a lot of information very useful and interesting (this site is in very high regard at Ultimate Subaru board).

I would appreciate your opinions on differences in oil weights to use for older and newer engines. For the new Ford I have I'm using 5w20 (as recommended by manufacturer). Since I'm in Texas, I am inclined to use 10w30 or 0w30 in summmer.
I also have an older Subaru and it has 140+ miles on the engine. I am using 10w30 in it, and I am questioning if it's a proper weight for this engine. I have been doing some reading on oils and oil filters lately and trying to form some sort of opinion of my own.
Also, would a synthetic oil (like Mobil-1) be a good idea for an older car?
I tried to search, but the search didn't turn up any answers for me. Thank you for your help.

Until something changes such as increased oil consumption I see no reason to go to a higher viscosity oil jsut because the engine is older. I have been with my 10W30 since new and now 162,000. If it ain't broke don't look for a solution.

As to synthetic for an older car, I would vote no if all is operating fine as, IMO , you run a slight risk of oil seepages turning up.

Now, if I had a 5W20 recommended on a new car I would probably use the Mobil 1 0W20 which appears to be getting great results and/or the 0W30 as well.

The best way to evaluate viscosity requirements is to spend $20.00 and have the used oil tested after 5000 miles. Your lead wear should be much lower than your iron wear, particular for a large displacement, V-6 or V-8 engine....

If lead wear is > 1.5 ppm/1000 miles, I'd go up a grade in oil viscosity,say to a 5w-40 or 10w-40. High levels of both copper and tin is also a bad sign.

Oil pressure and oil consumption are two other things to look for. You need at least 10 psi/1000 rpms of engine speed to avoid excessive main/rod bearing wear....

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

Thanks for the answers, for my '02 Ford Focus I've just got its first batch of 0w20 & a Wix filter. I can't wait to see how it works.
I've heard that synthetic oil has a tendency to leak more than regular, and it doesn't bother me much.

I have also heard that once you switch a car to synthetic oil, you don't want to go back to regular, because synto does something to the gaskets. Is that true?

quote:

Originally posted by Ma-fia:
Thanks for the answers, for my '02 Ford Focus I've just got its first batch of 0w20 & a Wix filter. I can't wait to see how it works.
I've heard that synthetic oil has a tendency to leak more than regular, and it doesn't bother me much.

I have also heard that once you switch a car to synthetic oil, you don't want to go back to regular, because synto does something to the gaskets. Is that true?

You can switch back if you so desire. There is a slight possibility that an older vehicle may seep slightly but that's not at all certain. I have not had the problem and I have switched several vehicles with over 50K miles to synthetic.

Actually, the older car (1982 Subaru) has much more than 50K -- 146+. And I was wondering if anybody had ideas on the best oil weight for it. The factory standard is 10w30, but back in '82 nobody had Mobil 1 0w40 (or 0w30) available. I never had anything synthetic in that car, and I'd like to know if it seems like a good idea. I am a very mild driver, not a racer and appreciate engine longevity much more than a few extra seconds gained along the way.
Appreciate the answer.
Ira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back