Newbie here: Best oil and filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best all around conventional oil and filter? I currently run Super Tech oil and a Purolator filter, changed every 2000 miles. The Super Tech seems to cling pretty good, so I decided to start using it, 87 cent a quart isn't bad. If there are better conventional oils and filters out there, please tell me! I dont mind paying extra, but the Super Tech is SL rated as are many of the other good oils.

one of the better dino oils is penzoil, some here claim chevron supreme is good, never used that one

filters: napa gold is good, but there are other good ones too

You do not mention a viscosity range. The answer on the oil will depend, in part, on what viscosity you need.

That being said, I think that you will find general agreement on this site that the best non-synthetic oils are those for diesel fleet service, and among those widely available, such as at Wal-Mart, the best include Mobil Delvac 1300 and Delo 400, both in 15W-40, and priced at about $6 per gallon.

As for filters, I think the group would also say avoid Fram entirely, and probably Purolater too. Generally favored brands include Mobil 1, Baldwin, Hastings, Wix.

Now I am sure posts disagreeing with me will follow soon!!

I have never heard anything bad about Purolator filters. Also Motorcraft filters are supposed to be very good. I am going to try FleetGuard filters, which I have heard a lot of good things about.

As for oil, seems Chevron and Havoline are highly rated, top quality dino oils. I use Valvoline Maxlife and have used their Durablend. But from my browsing here, I would say that Valvoline will find few supporters at this site.

Since you are obviously buying your stuff at wally world, I would pay a few cents more per quart and buy Chevron Supreme. If you can't find that, look at Havoline, but make sure the back label has 'Chevron' towards the bottom. These are both very good oils for the money. I like Motorcraft filters, which are sold very cheap there.
welcome.gif

Don't say what you are driving. Likely you can pick up a slightly better OEM filter where you are buying the Purolator for about the same price. If Wally's has your ST number, likely it would be about as good as the Purolator for about the same price. I am a long time Pennzoil dino user. I am wondering now if the more expensive Pennzoil is any different than the Shell. Diesel oil is for diesels.

Oh yeah, my answer is mostly based on AC PF 1177 and equivilents. For any other number, you may need to chop open a few filters yourself. Look for filter area and sturdy construction. Unfortunatly it is hard to judge quality of filter media.

[ January 02, 2004, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: labman ]

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
I'm curious as to why a lot people think the Purolator filters are in some way inferior to other brands when the Motorcraft filters are nothing more than a PureOne filter cartridge in a PremiumPlus can?

There might be a few exceptions to the above but all the Motorcraft filters I've cut open are clearly identified as PureOne cartridges.

Not sure, but Motorcraft may be slightly different from the regular Purolator. While I understand Motorcraft's are made by Purolator, I also have heard it was somewhere between the regular and premium Purolator filters. At any rate, I would expect it to differ as Ford would have their own spec, unless Purolator decided to make their regular filter to the Ford spec. Purolator or Motorcraft filter should be fine and from what I heard, they are some of the best regular filters.

Also, did I hear "2000 mile oil change interval"? Might want to consider whether that could be extended to 3000 or more.

[ January 02, 2004, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

From what I have seen, Ac, Honda, and Masda filters are good. I was assuming Ford would equal them. Ever since Ac changed the number from PF 9 to PF 1177, I have had trouble finding them. I began to wonder about Fram's quality, so I started chopping open filters. Sure enough, Fram was thrown together with 1/3 the filter area. As far as I could see, Purolator, Power Flo, Hastings. Super Tech, and STP were all about the same with 2/3 the filter area of the AC. Been running ST's ever since. I figure, if you don't have a convenient source for the OEM, you may as well buy ST unless you want to pay the price for a Mobil 1, Amsoil, Baldwin, etc.

WOW some great reply's here!! Its not that I prefer Wallyworld its just that they usually have the best prices and I end up going pretty often. I have heard a lot about the Napa Gold filter and we have a couple NAPA's pretty close. I like the Purolator because the Fram's I have used always let the engine rattle in the mornings due to a sucky check valve. As far as oil, Chevron Supreme is one I have looked at alot and would like to use, but was unsure. What about Mobil Drive Clean or Exxon Supreme? Those are usually cheap at Super K.

Oh yeah, I have seen the Delo and Rotella diesel stuff, but was scared to use it. I didnt know if diesel engine oil had different additives that a gas engine didn't need. Just bear with me, I learn quick
wink.gif
Oh the car is a 1978 Camaro with a 406 small block, hydraulic roller cammed, and a standard pressure/volume oil pump that puts out plenty of pressure.

Rob, First off...
welcome.gif

If you're purchasing your products at WalMart, why not pick up some SuperTech filters for only $1.97 each? I use them on my Saturn and have had excellent results. They're a mid-grade AC Delco / Champion twin.

As for oil, the Chevron or Havoline (it's Chevron rebottled as Texaco is now the parent company of them) are top notch. I just found the Havoline for 88 cents a quart at a Walmart locally. Is it worth the few pennies more than SuperTech oil? Definitely. You can go 3-4K between changes and still keep the engine squeaky clean on this setup.

Delo 400 and Delvac 1300 are even better choices if you like the thicker oils.

[ January 02, 2004, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: ToyotaNSaturn ]

quote:

Originally posted by RobWest:
Oh yeah, I have seen the Delo and Rotella diesel stuff, but was scared to use it. I didnt know if diesel engine oil had different additives that a gas engine didn't need. Just bear with me, I learn quick
wink.gif
Oh the car is a 1978 Camaro with a 406 small block,

Rob, the 15W-40s usually carry an SH, SJ, or SL rating on them which means they are also for modern gasoline engines (and yours too
gr_stretch.gif
) . The only real question would be whether you should use a 40 weight oil or not.

cool.gif
As many opinions on what's best as there are people on this board. I'd say what you're using is fine. Changing that often maybe go with the SuperTech filter too, it's cheaper and possibly better.

I've been looking for who made the Super Tech filter. I did not know it was Champion!
confused.gif
I've used one in the past and did not have any problems with it. I think I will try a ST filter and some Chevron or Havoline. I religiously change oil every 2000 miles, usually sooner at around 1500, just because I sleep better at night
wink.gif
If it were a fuel injected engine like my Mustang, I would go 2500 or 3000 miles. But with the rate I like to change oil, synthetics just would be a waste for me. I agree they are superior, though.
I just recently started using 5W-30 in the winter and 10W-30 in the summer. Plenty of oil pressure and no cold startup noises, so I guess I'm good.

[ January 02, 2004, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: RobWest ]

offtopic.gif
OK, say I were to extend oil drain intervals. Would it be worth it to go with some Mobil 1? Which type? Would I gain any decent amount of power or MPG
dunno.gif
I got to figuring, and with all the oil changing I do, I could just change at regular intervals with some synthetic and probably be ahead of the game, or at least close. I see dyno tests from 8-20 hp gains, depending on how thick of an oil they started with and then going with a thinner style of synthetic. If I can pick up a few ponies or mpg, I'm all for it!
cool.gif

Also, what about oils with moly in them. Would they be better for a high output street engine? Please educate me! Thanks a lot!
cheers.gif

cool.gif
I run Mobil 1 in my pickup and the wife's car for 5000 miles. My old van tends to either sit a lot OR get run a lot so I change it every 3 months regardless of mileage with dino oil.

Regarding filters, Baldwin and Hastings are now one in the same. They even screw up once in a while and you'll see a Baldwin in a Hastings box.

I've been using the Baldwin B-43S on my Grand Prix, if only because I can get them relatively cheap from my buddy's speed shop (and they're a kewl red color that matches my car!
cool.gif
). I also used the AC PF-47, or Wix 51040 with good success.

Rather than dino, the semi-synth and Hi-Mi oils offer some of the benefits of synthetic oil for an extra $1 quart. I'd extend to at least 5000-6000 miles with these oils and the economy is there. Seal conditioning, cold-cranking and cleaning abilities of the added esters is well worth the $1. These new oils have the latest additive packages and are formulated heavier which may help with wear and consumption too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back