newbie G35 synthetic question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christopher Jefferson:
I'm thinking of going with either GC 0w30 or Mobil1 0w40 after 9k miles, is this what you would recommend for my G35? I won't be able to switch viscosities for summer/winter so I need something that can do both here in MD.

quote:

Originally posted by Twilight_Blue_G35c:
Christopher Jefferson:
I'm thinking of going with either GC 0w30 or Mobil1 0w40 after 9k miles, is this what you would recommend for my G35? I won't be able to switch viscosities for summer/winter so I need something that can do both here in MD.

I am not the person addressed, but..
what you mentioned, is what I intend to do, one of those 2 oils at the milage you mentioned...havent decided which one yet.

Fred..
smile.gif

quote:

Finally (and maybe this Q should go in the filter section...), what's the deal with the stock oil filter on this car??? The thing is absolutely miniscule

going to put my .02 $ into the topic:

.01 : I am not sure about this, but I think that a smaller filter allows the oil to reach the engine faster. IMO this is more important than the oil filter clogging....doubt your oil will get that dirty any time soon to achieve that feat anyway. So don't sweat the "small" stuff

.02 : Growing up around the go fast crowd the rule of thumb was "baby it for the first 10k miles then Flog it till she screams" One can extend this philosophy to first use of synthetic. seems that 10k is regarded as the magic number for all the parts to introduce themselves and get confy with each other. Why interrupt eh? wait till 10 then go commit your favorite SYn.
smile.gif

Awesome ride by the way.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Originally posted by Dookie:
While on the topic of Nissan's VQ motors, I have a 2003 Nissan Murano as well.Is it okay to use the factory oil filter for anything longer than 3,500 miles?

\ That said, this OEM filter is just so small, I'm having a hard time getting comfortable with it. Yes, I know the engineers who designed it know what they're doing, but. . . For those of you who have not seen one, you could easily fit two VQ filters within a 12 oz soda can. The empty filter shell might hold all of 3 oz of liquid. It's that small. Anyone seen any indications of filter durability issues?

Nissan has been using this size filter for year, including on the VG-30 motors. I know that the one on my 91 Pathfinder is tiny. It may shorten engine life, but my Pathfinder has 190,000 hard miles on it with 5,000-6,000 mile oil changes and still runs perfectly. BTW, the oil is still golden after 5k miles, I just change it because it is a convient interval and the small 3.75 quart capacity. It is not uncommon to see these motors with 250k+ miles.

Cary

quote:

Twilight,

The VQ engine tend to like the heavier 30 weights like Amsoil and Redline. GC would be my choice over the M1 0w-40 because it is more shear stable and it will probaly go a little further on an extended drain based on the UOA that I have seen.

I am probaly going to run GC with lube control in my 2k Maxima after the auto rx rinse phase.

I am at 1200 miles with the last 100 miles on Kendall 5w-30 abnd I am itching to switch to synthetic.

I know your supposed to wait but I really want to...

Fred..
blush.gif

Fred,
I'm going to be nearing my 3700mi oil change and have been wondering what oil I should run. It will be dino and I'm leaning toward the GF-4 castrol GTX that I'm running in it now but I haven't heard much about this oil. Have you heard or read about what dino oils our engine likes best? BTW I also can't wait to switch to syn but I have to hold out for another 7000mi
frown.gif

quote:

Fred,
I'm going to be nearing my 3700mi oil change and have been wondering what oil I should run. It will be dino and I'm leaning toward the GF-4 castrol GTX that I'm running in it now but I haven't heard much about this oil. Have you heard or read about what dino oils our engine likes best? BTW I also can't wait to switch to syn but I have to hold out for another 7000mi
frown.gif

Castrol GTX has done well in UOA's on maxima.org and they all use VQ engines just like you and I do.
smile.gif

I would have gone with either GTX or Penzoil or Chevron, but it seemed silly to go out and buy a Dino oil, when the housebrand at my changer is a Dino as well ,with a decent rep.

I just regret, I didnt specify 10w-30 , cuz it doesnt get cold enough here in KY to justify 5w-30 usually.

The housebrand at my Nissan dealer is Pennzoil a good Group II+ oil.
Where I will go for my 3750 mile change which will only be a 2500 mile OCI for me, I wanna make sure the dealer sees an oil change stamp at his spec'ed intervals.

That will be my last Dino oil change on this car, after that GC or M1.

Fred..
smile.gif

PS: I wouldlike to see more traffic in the G35 section of my nissaninfinitsite, please stop by and say hi
cool.gif

http://nicoclub.com/zeroforum?id=102

I actually visit your site frequently along with g35driver but haven't got around to registering yet. I already spend too much time reading about my car so I don't post much
blush.gif

cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back