newbie contemplation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,all. New member here.

I found this board thru a member of MCML(Monte Carlo Mailing List);and have been lurking for a couple of weeks.

After reading a bit,I've let go of some preconcieved notions I had about engine oil(I thought I knew what I was talking about!),and this forum has dispelled some popular convictions and myths I had.

I do have to say,I'm now confused on what weight,type,brand,etcetera of oil I should be using,and I'm hoping some enlightened members could show me the way!
grin.gif

Here's some of the cars we have,a little info on them,and what I am contemplating:

*1986 Monte Carlo SS- 305 HO,140K on the clock. Only smokes a little on start-up(valve stem seals),still pulls strong. Some bolt on mods,-headers,intake,etc. Currently running 10w40 Maxlife.

*1975 Corvette- built 355 10:1 compression,big cam,etc... 20K on rebuild. Previous owner(bro-in-law)ran 10w40 Pennz since break-in(to 17K),we switched to 10w30 M1 after purchase. Car currently leaks M1,and burns a little,also
frown.gif

*1979 Z28 project-car has been abused,and neglected(could rival the pics of the varnish on that import that's on here) . Just bought/rescued. Approx 173K on odometer. Currently running Castrol GTX 10w40.

*1980 Z28 project- see above^.

*1987 Chrysler LeBaron GTS turbo. My first turbo car,given to me by a friend,had a blown head gasket. I changed the head gasket(uggh,never do that on a turbo 4-banger again!). Car has 86K on it. Fresh 10w30 GTX.

Ok,I know...I have to many cars,and not enough money! Or is that brains?
wink.gif

Anyway,I looked through the phone book,and found a Schaeffer dealer close,along with an Amsoil rep...

Here's my plan: The 2 most important cars to me are the SS and the Vette. After speaking with the Schaeffer rep,he suggested 15w40 for both.
I was gonna do a Neutra purge on the Monte,then switch...Auto RX for the Vette,then switch.

On the Z28 projects,I was gonna do the Amsoil flush,then follow with Delvac 1300.

On the Chrysler,well...I don't know.It's not in the greatest shape,either. It's a daily driver/beater(so are the Camaros,really).I was thinking of doing either a Neutra Purge,or making it a test mule for the Auto RX before the Vette. Not sure what weight,/type/brand of oil,though...

As for filters...After following the filter test thread,I went with a K&N(seemed to offer an acceptable flow vs. filtering compromise),but I'm unsure on what to use on the other cars.

All in all,I don't mind spending a little for quality,especially on the SS and Vette. For the others,quality is important,but not as much. Bang for the buck in both cases,but I'm willing to spend more on the aformentioned 2.

Last but not least,should I do a UOA before and after on these vehicles? VOA on anything? Any other advice/ things to do before I switch? Am I on the right track,planwise? Any/all suggestions woulld be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for hearing me out,and I apologize for the long first post!

Randy Gaines- oil nut whose glad to find other neurotics online!

To much to answer and its early.
dunno.gif
You may want to revise your question and make it shorter. There may be to many questions for one to answer. Just a suggestion.
grin.gif

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 3400 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 76000 Miles

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
To much to answer and its early.
dunno.gif
You may want to revise your question and make it shorter. There may be to many questions for one to answer. Just a suggestion.
grin.gif

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 3400 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 76000 Miles

welcome.gif

Yea to much-too early. Might want to discuss one at a time. I would consider the AutoRx instead of the Amsoil flush.

Really you have to decide whether you want to spring for synthetic. The reason would be to go longer drain intervals.

Gotta go-be back later.

Welcome to the board.

With a fleet like that you would really benefit from Schaeffers free shipping on $250.00 orders. They have a complete line of lubrication products you can mix or match to get to the $250 minimum.

I use the Schaeffer's Supreme 15w-40 in everything from 6.5 hp Briggs mower, 15 hp Suzuki 4 cycle outboard, John Deere and Massey F tractors, Saturn SL-1, F150 4.2L and a 03 Golf TDI. The oils rival synthetics in performance and at a fraction of the cost @ $12.00 per gallon.

But don't believe me check the used oil analysis section.

Check out the Schaeffer's greases, gear lubes and hydraulic fluids.

[ June 29, 2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Neil Womack ]

Thanks,Guys!

Sorry about the multiple q's...

I'll break them down another time,and continue using the search feature and reading EVERy post like I've been doing the last week or so!

thanks again guys...

Randy

Randy,

Auto-Rx is certainly worth a try on any of your oil consuming cars. If the seals are dry and allowing the oil leakage, the Auto-Rx has a good chance of fixing the problem. Either Auto-Rx or Neutra #131 will remove varnish, sludge, and baked carbon in piston ring grooves during their 500 mile cleaning cycle. Neutra #131 in the gas (1 oz. per gallon) will clean the fuel system and combustion chamber. Neutra is cheap enough...no point and maybe some harm in using a fast-flush. You can also use Auto-Rx or Neutra in your power steering, automatic transmission, or any gearbox. Check the instructions for dosage rate and needed miles.

Might as well stick with Schaeffer oils. Pick the viscosity that matches your climate and the clearances in each engine. Schaeffer's is good for more miles than just about all oils, so the cost per mile is lowest. I think you'll be very pleased with the result.

Filters?...we're still searching for a definitive word, if there is such a thing. WIX is good as is the identical NAPA/Gold. Baldwin and the identical Hastings are good. Purolator is good. K&N is good but pricey. ACDelco is good. Bosch Premium is good. Lots of folks like Wal*Mart's SuperTech, similar in some ways to the Bosch and K&N and made by the same folks, but I'm not a Wallymart fan...I'm leery of lowest of low bid stuff.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back