Newbe gc question

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I am new to the board I'v been doing alot of reading over here though good stuff. I have a nissan titan 5.6 I have been running mobil 1 since first oil change, but with all the talk over here I decided to give gc a shot. The local az had it on there shelves finally, now I am confused I think I bought some old(green)stuff, and some of the new stuff I looked at the batch numbers some is 04 and some is 05. I poured a little of both in diff. containers definitly diff. colors ones dark one is light, but neither looks green to me or has that sweet smell either. BTW both say made in germany on the back. I have a headache now
dunno.gif

welcome.gif

quote:

Batch numbers are on the bottom. If it starts with M02,M03,M04, then, generally, it means it was made in 2002,,2003,2004 and will be the green GC. M05, as far as I know, is the new amber GC that is causing a mild uproar among loyal GC followers.

That being said, I found two bottles of amber GC at Autozone today with no batch numbers at all. Weird.

Iposted the above a few days ago for another new GC enthusiast.

GC is an excellent oil but make no mistake M1 is also in the same league

Thank you 1maniac I was just a little confused cause it dont look green but maybe in a diff light or something.

quote:

Originally posted by clg305:
OK I am new to the board I'v been doing alot of reading over here though good stuff. I have a nissan titan 5.6 I have been running mobil 1 since first oil change, but with all the talk over here I decided to give gc a shot. The local az had it on there shelves finally, now I am confused I think I bought some old(green)stuff, and some of the new stuff I looked at the batch numbers some is 04 and some is 05. I poured a little of both in diff. containers definitly diff. colors ones dark one is light, but neither looks green to me or has that sweet smell either. BTW both say made in germany on the back. I have a headache now
dunno.gif

welcome.gif

1maniac is correct up to a point. His comments on pre-05 GC are spot on; however 05 comes in two varieties; if the batch number is 0501, then it is The Green; if it is 0502 or higher, it is The Gold. Mix and match to your heart's content. Now regarding his comment on the eqivalence of M1...if the M1 in view is not 0W-40 or 15W-50, he and I will have to agree to disagree.
cheers.gif

Thanks for the input guys. So far the best uoa I have seen on this engine was with m1 0w40, so I was thinking with gc being very similar visc. it should do well also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back