Newark Airport will no longer be a "New York City airport" according to IATA

Yes this is completely about money. Newark is the closest airport to Manhattan. But since it's in a different state, the state taxes generated by airports aren't funding NYC.

For the consumer, now they can't search for flights to / from "NYC" and consider all 3 airports.

Yes this is completely about money. Newark is the closest airport to Manhattan. But since it's in a different state, the state taxes generated by airports aren't funding NYC.

For the consumer, now they can't search for flights to / from "NYC" and consider all 3 airports.

Isn't it an interstate authority with a joint budget and a specific taxing authority (rental cars, taxis, etc.)?

I don't know if the PANYNJ is specially asking for this.

All the area airports are operated by the same quasi-public corporation. So I suppose the way they allocate their funding is an issue.

I remember that sort of thing being an issue with a local community college district. They had oodles of revenue from one college, but it was still relegated to a substandard location, and their revenue was redistributed. Is the spending of money and issue? I do remember traveling through JFK and thinking that it looked really old and poorly maintained. I've been to airports closer to home and they were maintained to a higher standard.
I would not doubt it if it were a local monetary policy. NJ is not exactly known for its transparency and integrity.

Eclectic? lol

Denver airport is "eclectic." Newark is literally just awful. After flying into Boston, Newark was like flying into the Dark Ages. Dirty, dingy, seats from the 1970s/1980s it felt like, run down, dirty, terrible. Easily one of the worst airports in America.
Then you haven’t been there lately. The Port Authority has spent tens of millions on upgrades and is building a new terminal.

There are more international flights out of JFK than EWR but EWR is much closer to my house so that is preferred and easier to get to. But I often flew out of JFK because they have more international airlines going in and out of there.

It's an easy short train ride from EWR to NYC Penn Station in the middle of Manhattan.

For international visitors, it must be confusing to differentiate between New York and Newark especially when EWR shows as a New York airport. If English is not your first language, New York and Newark pronunciations are extremely similar.
Like I said, I am no fan of YYZ ( YYZ is one of the worst, was this year for sure ) or EWR.

I have no problems with people bashing any company when it’s justified but not when it’s their own bad choices/decisions. Same with any company actually.

Some people are chronic complainers. Lots of them fly.

I asked ( politely, she was cutting my hair , I don’t have much left end want to keep it ) my neighbour why anyone would keep complaining about a company but still come back if that’s how they really feel?

I told her, guaranteed, if I ever hated a company , person, etc, you would never see me using them or seeing them again.

I recommended she fly with some other airline ( to avoid mine plus YYZ …she hates YYZ ) and connect through the u.s if thats how she felt. She wouldn’t.

Where I live, Toyota dealers suck ( used to have one I inherited, traded it in ) for service so I switched to Honda ( all owned by some large auto group ).

Toyota pissed me off and I switched.

I drive 50 miles for much better service from a privately owned Honda dealer.

Bonus is the owner loves flying with my airline ( seasoned business traveller ).

Last edited:
Then you haven’t been there lately. The Port Authority has spent tens of millions on upgrades and is building a new terminal.
Thank god for that. Last time I was there was 4-5 years ago. It was despicable and looked like something out of 3rd world countries but with computers and tvs.

I got curious about how other areas with multiple airports are described by IATA.

In my area the major airports are SFO, OAK, and SJC. There's also Sonoma-Charles M. Schultz (STS). Their cities are listed as San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, and San Jose. Similar for all the LA/OC airports like LGB, LAX, SNA, BUR, etc.

However, there are four airports (JFK, LGA, EWR, SWF) listed as being in New York.

ICYMI: Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP), Tampa International Airport (TPA) and Indianapolis International Airport (IND) received the highest ratings for customer satisfaction in their respective categories, according to market research firm J.D. Power.⁠

In the “mega” category, Minneapolis ranked first with 800 points on a 1,000-point scale. Last year’s winner, Miami International Airport (MIA), dropped to ninth with a score of 770. San Francisco International Airport (SFO) ranked second, while Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW) and New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) tied for third.⁠

At the bottom of the list for “mega” airports was Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), finishing in 19th place with a score of 719.⁠
Bahahahahahahhahaha Newark dead last out of 19 airports.

BUt NeWArK iSnT BAd

Lmao

Bahahahahahahhahaha Newark dead last out of 19 airports.

BUt NeWArK iSnT BAd

Lmao

If a person uses a specific terminal at an airport and never goes through the others then their experience would be based on that one terminal. If that terminal is new or recently remodeled then that is a factor.

We used to go through SFO for years. Their International terminal has a separate check in so we avoided the domestic side altogether. The International terminal was fairly new at the time and well laid out and convenient. On the domestic side it was a totally different experience. Since then SFO has redone their domestic side.

If a person uses a specific terminal at an airport and never goes through the others then their experience would be based on that one terminal. If that terminal is new or recently remodeled then that is a factor.

We used to go through SFO for years. Their International terminal has a separate check in so we avoided the domestic side altogether. The International terminal was fairly new at the time and well laid out and convenient. On the domestic side it was a totally different experience. Since then SFO has redone their domestic side.
JD Power is using the airport in totality to make their rankings. And it’s from 2022 so unfortunately your post doesn’t have much to do with the article nor does it refute anything. ;)

The people have spoken. It is done.

JD Power is using the airport in totality to make their rankings. And it’s from 2022 so unfortunately your post doesn’t have much to do with the article nor does it refute anything. ;)

The people have spoken. It is done.

I would take JD Power with a lot of salt. They ranked SEA tied for 12th but my experience is that it’s crowded and amenities are limited. Security is a mess.

JFK is #3?

I would take JD Power with a lot of salt. They ranked SEA tied for 12th but my experience is that it’s crowded and amenities are limited. Security is a mess.

JFK is #3?
Ay dawg, we don’t make the rules but the people have spoken. Newark is literal trash and last place. :cool::poop:

Perfect score = 1000
# 1 airport (Minneapolis) = 800
#19 airport (Newark) = 719

There isn't a huge difference there. It's not like Knights Inn vs Ritz Carlson.

Ay dawg, we don’t make the rules but the people have spoken. Newark is literal trash and last place. :cool::poop:
Yikes, didn’t mean to poke the bear. Let me explain it another way. If you lived in Central New Jersey and had to travel to your weekly anger management class and had the choice of an easy 30 minute ride up the NJ Turnpike to attend a class in Newark as opposed to an hour and a half to JFK to attend the same class what would you do?

Perfect score = 1000
# 1 airport (Minneapolis) = 800
#19 airport (Newark) = 719

There isn't a huge difference there. It's not like Knights Inn vs Ritz Carlson.

Good point. I don’t know of any US airports that have the WOW factor like Changi for example.

Used to love flying into ORD.

Haven‘t flown there since 2006.
The terminal has been updated/remodeled, but the airport itself is dramatically changed. All new runways. Far better traffic management. Increased capacity.

On my side - totally different. All for the better.

As far as infrequent flyers’ opinions on airports, or airlines, it’s anecdotal evidence. One experience is interesting, but not definitive. Not really important.

The terminal has been updated/remodeled, but the airport itself is dramatically changed. All new runways. Far better traffic management. Increased capacity.

On my side - totally different. All for the better.

As far as infrequent flyers’ opinions on airports, or airlines, it’s anecdotal evidence. One experience is interesting, but not definitive. Not really important.
Hi Astro,

I totally agree with you about infrequent flyers opinions regarding airports and airlines.

I laughed when a member said the Air Canada is the “ worst airline in the world”. Same with other airlines ( obviously, some actually are bad according to data versus opinion ).

Obviously he hasn’t flown very much and and based his opinion on one experience. If he is basing it on more than one experience, why would anyone who thinks it’s the worst ( same with any company ) use them again?

Operating a complex airline isn’t easy ( international versus just domestic or ones that avoid the busiest airports ) and they do things right more than they get credit for from what I see. Many things are beyond their control but get blamed for.

That said, no question my airline can do things better and needs ( same with any company ) to improve but we get more right then we get wrong , by a long shot but never get credit for it with the media who brainwash the public.

I would say the exact same thing if I wasn’t a pilot and have defended other airlines over the years when unfairly attacked.

Several years ago, we had a crew divert due to bad weather. The next day, SOME passengers were insulting the airline and PILOTS on social media if you can believe that ( worst airline in the world type stuff ).

Unbelievable.

Trying to operate an airline up here is not easy. We don’t have a pro airline govt or pro airport.

Federal govt still owns all major airports and leases them ( treat them like cash machines ) up here.

Many reasons why airline prices are much higher up here.

Last edited:
Yikes, didn’t mean to poke the bear. Let me explain it another way. If you lived in Central New Jersey and had to travel to your weekly anger management class and had the choice of an easy 30 minute ride up the NJ Turnpike to attend a class in Newark as opposed to an hour and a half to JFK to attend the same class what would you do?
If i lived in NJ, I’d literally kill myself.

Back