Newark Airport will no longer be a "New York City airport" according to IATA

I remember fighting with a travel agent about Newark. I said it was in New Jersey; she insisted it was (in) New York, as if it were an alternate spelling or something.

In the linked blurb, it would've been nice if the "other 4 airports removed from their City codes" were given.

As said above, likely just means another row of prices in the airlines' catalogs.

I can tell you, everyone who wants to use EWR will select an airline which flies there.

Just for funzies, I'd like to know if traffic has increased at MacArthur (out on Long Island) and Newburgh, NY (old Air Force facility).

I remember fighting with a travel agent about Newark. I said it was in New Jersey; she insisted it was (in) New York, as if it were an alternate spelling or something.
Must have been before the days of the internet; could Google it now in 10 seconds! I thought the alternate spelling was New Yawk. :)

I’m wondering if there is some politics and or money grabbing opportunity going on here? Teterboro is in NJ too but no mention of them going the same route.

I only know from secondhand info but from people I know who travel especially internationally they prefer Newark over JFK if they have to transit in NYC.

I’m wondering if there is some politics and or money grabbing opportunity going on here? Teterboro is in NJ too but no mention of them going the same route.

I only know from secondhand info but from people I know who travel especially internationally they prefer Newark over JFK if they have to transit in NYC.
There are more international flights out of JFK than EWR but EWR is much closer to my house so that is preferred and easier to get to. But I often flew out of JFK because they have more international airlines going in and out of there.

It's an easy short train ride from EWR to NYC Penn Station in the middle of Manhattan.

For international visitors, it must be confusing to differentiate between New York and Newark especially when EWR shows as a New York airport. If English is not your first language, New York and Newark pronunciations are extremely similar.

Crowded at times, yes. Eclectic due to age, yes. "Literal trash", ?

I want to see a couple of airports out in "waste land" accessible by high speed train.
Eclectic? lol

Denver airport is "eclectic." Newark is literally just awful. After flying into Boston, Newark was like flying into the Dark Ages. Dirty, dingy, seats from the 1970s/1980s it felt like, run down, dirty, terrible. Easily one of the worst airports in America.

Not being a globetrotter, I'll have to trust your comparisons.

Every time I've gone there the plane took off on schedule and planes I've been on which landed there didn't crash.

Gotta check out those aged seats.

JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark are all operated by PANYNJ. So are Teterboro and Stewart.

Eclectic? lol

Denver airport is "eclectic." Newark is literally just awful. After flying into Boston, Newark was like flying into the Dark Ages. Dirty, dingy, seats from the 1970s/1980s it felt like, run down, dirty, terrible. Easily one of the worst airports in America.
Geez. Leave Newark alone. I live in central NJ. Do you really think I want to shlep over to Laguardia or JFK because the lounge seats are better? Newark is a fast hour away for the majority of Central New Jersey. If you’re flying domestically it works just fine.

Geez. Leave Newark alone. I live in central NJ. Do you really think I want to shlep over to Laguardia or JFK because the lounge seats are better? Newark is a fast hour away for the majority of Central New Jersey. If you’re flying domestically it works just fine.
Just because you're from there or because it's close doesn't mean something is good, lmao. I don't care where you want to "shlep" to for an airport, again, just because you don't want to "shlep" to NY to fly from their airports does not mean that another airport is good. What a weird logical pathway you're trying to make.

Just because you're from there or because it's close doesn't mean something is good, lmao. I don't care where you want to "shlep" to for an airport, again, just because you don't want to "shlep" to NY to fly from their airports does not mean that another airport is good. What a weird logical pathway you're trying to make.
Yeah.....but it is good though. So there's that.

My issues have always been strictly with United, not EWR.

I cannot speak on behalf of every passenger but I will say this.

Lots of problems are also the result of poorly run airports which ends up causing the airline problems. I see that a lot.

Airlines pay a lot of money for services.

All the angry passenger issues when I used to fly to EWR were due to “ground stops” resulting in huge delays and missed connections.

Some passengers cause their own problems booking tight connections.

I have a neighbour who bashes my airline all the time ( but keeps flying with them ) and was concerned she would not make her flight ( Toronto to Greece ) due to connection time.

Despite being aware of all the infamous Media airline bashing on TV/news/social media, she wanted the tightest connection and Expedia booked her on a very tight YYZ connection with no room for error.

One big afternoon thunderstorm ( red alerts ) was it it would have taken to cause her to miss her flight to Greece.

Things went well but guess who she would have blamed if she missed her flight?

Not YYZ airport or Expedia.

It would have been MY airlines fault.

I envy well paid cargo pilots the older I get ( I take extra vitamin D ).

Don’t recall the media bashing cargo airlines, so far.

I cannot speak on behalf of every passenger but I will say this.

Lots of problems are also the result of poorly run airports which ends up causing the airline problems. I see that a lot.

Airlines pay a lot of money for services.

All the angry passenger issues when I used to fly to EWR were due to “ground stops” resulting in huge delays and missed connections.

Some passengers cause their own problems booking tight connections.

I have a neighbour who bashes my airline all the time ( but keeps flying with them ) and was concerned she would not make her flight ( Toronto to Greece ) due to connection time.

Despite being aware of all the infamous Media airline bashing on TV/news/social media, she wanted the tightest connection and Expedia booked her on a very tight YYZ connection with no room for error.

One big afternoon thunderstorm ( red alerts ) was it it would have taken to cause her to miss her flight to Greece.

Things went well but guess who she would have blamed if she missed her flight?

Not YYZ airport or Expedia.

It would have been MY airlines fault.

I envy well paid cargo pilots the older I get ( I take extra vitamin D ).

Don’t recall the media bashing cargo airlines, so far.

EWR C terminal is fine. It's a modern airport. I don't notice any difference there or other airports. A and B terminals were horrible last time I was in them some years ago. But they are both much smaller than C terminal. Traffic getting to Terminal C is horrible. They must be doing some construction and the parking is very limited. Looks like they're building a new parking garage.

I've flown EWR to YYZ quite a few times and it's horrible. Had a nightmare experience at YYZ when I was trapped on the USA side of the terminal with no way out after my flight was cancelled. And the flights from EWR to/from EWR get cancelled or delayed very often.

If your airline is Air Canada then I will bash them. They are the worst airline that I've flown on.

All the area airports are operated by the same quasi-public corporation. So I suppose the way they allocate their funding is an issue.

I remember that sort of thing being an issue with a local community college district. They had oodles of revenue from one college, but it was still relegated to a substandard location, and their revenue was redistributed. Is the spending of money and issue? I do remember traveling through JFK and thinking that it looked really old and poorly maintained. I've been to airports closer to home and they were maintained to a higher standard.

Back