New ZO6 needs Delvac 5W-50 oil

oh no the VII police has arrived on the scene to ruin the party 🚨

you must now accept every high performance vehicle needs a 5w30 c3 oil or pay the ultimate price
Euro 5W-30 C3 oils are good oils.

Base-oil viscosity is what protects your valvetrain, timing chain, and upper rings against wear. VII does not thicken the oil in these areas due to extreme temporary shear. It even temporarily shears quite a bit in the bearings in very high rpms.

For anyone interested, ^this part number is on the page linked below, along with other interesting (imo) fluids.
M1 5W-50 is much better than Castrol 5W-50 (see my base-oil viscosity and VII content sheet linked above).

If you are going to track the car, nothing will protect better than the Mobil 1â„¢ V-Twin 20W-50. HTHS = 5.8 cP and HTFS = 5.0 cP, with very little VII along with a very high dose of ZDDP.

The article I read said Dexos R 5w50.
That's right—dexos R.

8,600 rpm will reduce the HTHS viscosity of Mobil 1 5W-50 from 4.4 cP to 2.7 cP (to the "HTFS" value) as I explained above. Perhaps, it is not necessarily a bad thing, as it would increase the horsepower due to thinning. You may want to use something more stout for tracking if you experience too much wear. I would probably be afraid of running 5W-50 in this engine due to low base-oil viscosity if I redlined it often. Your valvetrain will not like 5W-50, especially if you redline it.

nobody is rolling out a new 10 TBN dinosaur oil in 2022, especially for corvette. Mobil 1 FS with its Ca Zn P triple cheeseburger has no place in a modern engine design.

100% we are going to have a 5W50 ESP for this car

Last edited:
nobody is rolling out a new 10 TBN dinosaur oil in 2022, especially for corvette. Mobil 1 FS with its Ca Zn P triple cheeseburger has no place in a modern engine design.

100% we are going to have a 5W50 ESP for this car
I‘m sure they called you by now …

corvette was one of the first to jump on the esp bandwagon. 3400ppm calcium = intake valve deposit king
Meh not sure if that is true or not. Plenty of high calcium oils used in GDI engines with no issues in Europe and even here in the U.S. I'm not sold on that Lubrizol study back in the day. It's been discussed quite a bit.

Meh not sure if that is true or not. Plenty of high calcium oils used in GDI engines with no issues in Europe and even here in the U.S. I'm not sold on that Lubrizol study back in the day. It's been discussed quite a bit.
and where are they now? that’s right 10tbn zn p ca milkshakes have been shown the door and they’re not coming back

especially corvette which has been team ESP since day 1 of going DI

and where are they now? that’s right 10tbn zn p ca milkshakes have been shown the door and they’re not coming back

Yeah I'm aware of that. The lower Ca oils are here to stay. There was a lot of discussion on what led to that change with some good posts by SonofJoe in the past. Nothing against the LSPI friendly low Ca oils but I'm not convinced the high Ca oils led to higher IVD's.

Yeah I'm aware of that. The lower Ca oils are here to stay. There was a lot of discussion on what led to that change with some good posts by SonofJoe in the past. Nothing against the LSPI friendly low Ca oils but I'm not convinced the high Ca oils led to higher IVD's.
you’re right that slicing calcium is half is only part of the story. dropping Zn and P to triple digit numbers is the most important part

Yeah like mine, I pretty much exclusively run high saps oils. If you have a GDI engine you need to regularly clean the intake ports and valves with one of the many available cleaners (even seafoam or water spray will suffice). Some oils may leave less deposits than others but without service IVD is inevitable no matter what oil you use.

That's right—dexos R.

8,600 rpm will reduce the HTHS viscosity of Mobil 1 5W-50 from 4.4 cP to 2.7 cP (to the "HTFS" value) as I explained above. Perhaps, it is not necessarily a bad thing, as it would increase the horsepower due to thinning. You may want to use something more stout for tracking if you experience too much wear. I would probably be afraid of running 5W-50 in this engine due to low base-oil viscosity if I redlined it often. Your valvetrain will not like 5W-50, especially if you redline it.

I am sure you realize that we are talking about an engine that is a Dry Sump Design which is different than a Wet Sump Design. It seems, from what I have read, that this engine has many different oil pumps for the dry sump system. GM has finally realized that a high rpm engine needs a dry sump system. I have never been on a track, but my guess is that you are not at Redline the whole time. Anyone with a car they take to a track and wants to prove me wrong, take me along for a ride. LOL

I dont see how in this situation that an oil like 15W-50 would be better than a 5W-50. JMO

I would prefer a supercharged engine with a twisted crank, But then I like murican sounding engines ,

I am sure you realize that we are talking about an engine that is a Dry Sump Design which is different than a Wet Sump Design. It seems, from what I have read, that this engine has many different oil pumps for the dry sump system. GM has finally realized that a high rpm engine needs a dry sump system. I have never been on a track, but my guess is that you are not at Redline the whole time. Anyone with a car they take to a track and wants to prove me wrong, take me along for a ride. LOL

I dont see how in this situation that an oil like 15W-50 would be better than a 5W-50. JMO
The viscosity is a function of the shear rate and has nothing to do with the oil pump or oil pressure. When the rpm and load increase, the shear rate increases, reducing the contribution of the VII to the viscosity, at one point completely eliminating it, depending on what part of the engine you are looking at.

In the valvetrain and timing chain, the shear rate is already very high even at low rpms and loads due to the geometry of the sliding parts, and the VII has little or no effect on the viscosity. Higher rpms and loads will also increase the temporary shear in other parts of the engine, reducing the viscosity. Note that temporary shear shouldn't be confused with permanent shear, which is permanent damage to the VII molecules. Temporary shear is caused by the alignment of the VII molecules along the flow due to high shear, which are then restored when shear goes away.

If you look at that my table linked above, M1 15W-50 is as heavily loaded in VII as M1 5W-50; so, no, you don't get any benefit from it. Look at the base-oil viscosity (HTFS) in that table, and the oils with the higher base-oil viscosities (HTFS) will protect against wear better.

I switched over to M1 5w30 ESP Formula on my very first oil change (1100 miles) on my direct injected 2018 Corvette. Hopefully this choice helps keep intake valve deposits much lower.

Back