New ZO6 needs Delvac 5W-50 oil

So an article on the new flat plane crank V8 that is going in the Corvette Z06 on Motor Trend says the engine will be filled with Delvac 5W-50 oil.

Is that even a thing yet? I bet Mobil 1 will be available at the Chevy shops in a Delco bottle.

they must mean delco. the Del in Delvac stands for diesel engine lubricant. there’s nothing stopping Mobil from taking its 5W50 into the 21st century and releasing an ESP variant.

obviously the current corvette track oil, M1 15W50, needs to be put out of its misery

It must be dexos2, not to be confused with Delvac, Dexron, Dex-Cool, etc.

Unfortunately, most 5W-50 oils are actually thinner than a good 5W-30 oil in terms of base-oil viscosity (what I call HTFS), which is what matters. They are very heavily loaded with VII. I wouldn't use them except for warranty purposes. 5W-50 is the worst SAE viscosity grade you can buy.

Estimated base-oil viscosity (HTFS) and VII content of selected oils

It must be dexos2, not to be confused with Delvac, Dexron, Dex-Cool, etc.

Unfortunately, most 5W-50 oils are actually thinner than a good 5W-30 oil in terms of base-oil viscosity (what I call HTFS), which is what matters. They are very heavily loaded with VII. I wouldn't use them except for warranty purposes. 5W-50 is the worst SAE viscosity grade you can buy.

Estimated base-oil viscosity (HTFS) and VII content of selected oils
oh no the VII police has arrived on the scene to ruin the party 🚨

you must now accept every high performance vehicle needs a 5w30 c3 oil or pay the ultimate price

Last edited:
Back