New Zerex antifreeze for asian cars -- p-HOAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zerex announced the first aftermarket coolant in the U.S. developed to meet the specific needs of consumers with Asian nameplate vehicles, including Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Honda and others.

This new antifreeze is specially formulated to provide maximum protection for the needs of more than 60 million vehicles on the road today.

“This is welcome news for the automotive aftermarket,” said Neal Pankey, Zerex marketing manager. “Asian brand vehicles are being built with unique and exotic metal alloys and gasket materials that must hold up to more heat and pressure than ever before. Fluid compatibility for these engines and cooling systems is extremely important. And, until now, owners of these import brands had very few options. Now, Zerex offers an affordable choice that is specifically suited for their engines and is guaranteed to protect the cooling system for five years or 150,000 miles.”

“Asian manufacturers have long rejected conventional silicate-based coolants and universal Organic Acid Technology (OAT) formulas for their cooling systems,” said Dr. David Turcotte, Zerex technical director. “Today, all Asian manufacturers are
using silicate-free coolants based on phosphated hybrid organic acid technology (p-HOAT). Zerex now offers a sophisticated p-HOAT formula that provides superior protection for late-model Asian vehicles and is compatible with all Asian factory-fill coolants on the market today.”

Give 'em time-it'll be avail. in full strength eventually-just in time for the old lady's xB (which will need changed next winter when it's out of powertrain warranty!).

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Give 'em time-it'll be avail. in full strength eventually-just in time for the old lady's xB (which will need changed next winter when it's out of powertrain warranty!).

I doubt it, as most of the Japanese brand specific coolants are 50/50 premix, like Toyota and Hondas. Kind of sucks, but what can ya do.

IMO, 50/50 is a real drawback. I like to do do total flushes. Getting the correct concentration is difficult unless you can find and use block drains, and that can be a PITA. That plus I think it's a ripoff.

The other question will be availability. Zerex G-05 is not the easiest to find.

If they can fix those two issues and keep the cost down, it could be ok.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Getting the correct concentration is difficult

If you have a problem mixing coolant and water in the proper ratio, get a coolant tester that measures specific gravity. It will display freeze protection in degrees, which is directly linked to the coolant/water ratio.

The problem I have without finding a block drain, is how do I displace the distilled water (left from flush) in the block to get a 50% coolant ratio with the 50/50 coolant?

I'm guessing what you're proposing is keep adding and draining the 50/50 until the coolant tester reading specific gravity, reads the correct level. Right? Seems like that might be sort of wasteful.

With the concentrate, I find the system capacity, and add full strength coolant to 50% and top off with distilled water. Just seems easier.

Or, am I missing something using the coolant tester and 50/50 coolant?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/zerex/antifreeze/105
I got a "404 Not Found" on it, but went to the site and searched around. Found no new coolant for Asian cars, just thier Dex-clone. But also came across the 'diesel' coolant that states:
Quote:
How It Works: Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant uses the highest quality virgin ethylene glycol for freeze and boilover protection, and a patented hybrid organic acid corrosion inhibitor package to protect cylinder liners from cavitation and liner pitting and your engine from rust and corrosion.

Makes me wonder if this is the same coolant since it seems to be a HOAT type coolant?? Am wondering if that will work on my Hyundai.... Hmmmm....

Glad to see this come out. I hope this is the beginning of a trend away from the all-makes nonsense.

The problem I have without finding a block drain, is how do I displace the distilled water (left from flush) in the block to get a 50% coolant ratio with the 50/50 coolant?

For every car that I've flushed, I've never had a problem emptying at least half of the water before refilling with antifreeze. I've never had to drain the block. I get enough out of the system with the radiator drain. Make sure you drain the overflow tank as well.

But that is why the antifreezes only available premixed with distilled water suck! If you can't drain the block, then you're stuck doing several drain and fills after a total system flush, to get all the water out and get the antifreeze concentration up to snuff.

Drew, you are apsoluteley right. When I flushed my coolant, it took 5 radiator drain and refills to get the water clear (there was still a slight hint of green, but it was almost the same as clear water, I compared them side by side in clear bottles).

And my radiator drains 50% of the system, on other cars it may be more than 5 times to achieve the same results.

Now, if you only have 50/50 mix available, that is a lot of good antifreeze wasted just to complete a full flush.

50/50 is good if you only plan to do radiator drain and fill every few years, as most radiators (compact and mid size sedans) hold about a gallon of coolant.

Nice - now I can finally have 1 coolant to serve 3 cars - I can wean the Prius and Sienna off Toyota Pink...

Originally Posted By: Kestas

For every car that I've flushed, I've never had a problem emptying at least half of the water before refilling with antifreeze. I've never had to drain the block. I get enough out of the system with the radiator drain. Make sure you drain the overflow tank as well.
I'm talking about a different procedure. I've never figured out a way to get a 50% concentration of coolant if I were to refill the radiator and recovery tank only with 50/50 premix after a distilled flush series which includes the block. On my systems that would leave half the system as distilled water before filling the radiator and recovery tank. I want a 50% coolant mixture after I'm done with the flush series.

If I were to just drain the radiator then I could just add 50/50. But, my preference is not to it that way. Also IMO, if anyone is switching coolant brands they should get as much the old coolant out of the block as possible. Without finding block drain(s), I only know how to do it with a series of distilled water flushes.

I'll stick to concentrate if possible.

sayjac,

You can't with 50/50 premix unless you go through a lot of premix. As you said, concentrate is the answer.

I too get a 404 error from Drew's link. Anyone have another link?

HERE YOU GO GUYS! YOU'RE WELCOME. GLAD I CAN POST SOMETHING USEFUL HERE, FOR A CHANGE! (SO EXCITED, I JUST HAVE TO SHOUT)
11.gif

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:eek:ad5...lient=firefox-a

Mori/Kestas.....you must write 100 times "I will pay attention during class at BITOG"
spankme2.gif
Bad Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back