New Zealand made a car !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone doing a walk around in the old factory. It was right in the main street of the town...or suburb. A mate had one, a horrible thing, but we did a few miles in it.

[Linked Image]

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/107503496/the-empty-halls-of-new-zealands-car-assembly-industry

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/ne...uv-was-designed-and-built-in-new-zealand

Quite the party van...looks like you could get 4, maybe 6 at a squeeze sheep in the back of that thing.

looks British made????? Hillman or something. Brit cars scare me,
can a 6ft3 250 pound Merican get thru those doors?
Small fender mounted rear view mirror, small wipers

Last edited:
Wow-Skoda Eastern Bloc Communist Czechoslovakia technology combined with NZ assembly & body-I bet those would be fun to find parts for! Now, if only Trabant had built a wagon/SUV in South America...
crazy.gif

Originally Posted by Shannow
Quite the party van...looks like you could get 4, maybe 6 at a squeeze sheep in the back of that thing.

I work with a Kiwi, and apparently sheep jokes CAN get old! I don't believe him though
smile.gif

They had bench seats in the back like a Landrover. When the Trekka returned to the junk pile it came from, the fibreglass canopy lived on as a goat shelter. Goats are used to graze roadsides here, and need a shelter, so some little hut is put with them when they are staked at the roadside. A Trekka canopy is the perfect size, and lasts forever.

A couple of my Trekka stories. My mate and I were camping at a beach over Xmas, and I left before him. I got home, and got a call (no mobile phones then). The Trekka had locked up it's gearbox, so I jumped in my International AS110 and headed back up. I hooked it up, and there was a lot of jerking and noises, then he gave a toot and waved me to stop - all sorted, but he had no 2nd gear. When we pulled it down there were no teeth on 2nd gear, the International had sheared them all off.

1972, and I had a brand new Yamaha CT2 175...I'd already smacked it up off road in the first week. On the 3rd week I was riding home from work, turning into a road with houses on the right (we drive on the left) and nothing but a 10 ft deep and wide drain on the left....there was a blue Trekka parked on the left side of the road. I wound the bike out in every gear, redlined in 4th which was 60mph, hooked 5th, and as I went past the Trekka he turned right in to a driveway. I didn't hit the road, flew right over it and the footpath, landing on the grass verge...I just lay there cursing smacking up my new bike again. I tore two holes down the side of the Trekka, about 2 feet long, one from my handlebars, the other from the footpeg. I had a very sore left foot, had it Xrayed, but it was just bruised.

Originally Posted by hpb
I work with a Kiwi, and apparently sheep jokes CAN get old! I don't believe him though
smile.gif

Well, we are famous for taking a joke and running with it, but I've just seen the best yet...I've just watched the movie Black Sheep.

Another Trekka story...There is a very steep street in central Auckland...and so that means have have to give it a try. Pretty scary on the trail bike, trying to keep the front end down, lifting only a couple of inches feels like it's going to loop. Apprentices go to night school in the city, after classes we have fun in the city. The roof is off the Trekka, and we back up into an alley to get as long a run on the hill as we can, and then floor it ! Half way up and my mate has to make the change down into the crash 1st gear. HE CAN'T GET IT IN !!!! We come to a stop, start going backwards, the brakes won't hold, he's slewing from side to side !!! The end of my world is nigh ! But some how we get to the bottom without a barrel roll. ''Shall we give it another go ?''

NO !!!

is that the one where the residents have trolleys to get their groceries to the house ?

Impressive

The steepest residential street in the world is in Dunedin. A gradient of 35 %.

[Linked Image]

But Liverpool St is the steepest street in Auckland, and down only these days. I don't think anyone lived there, it was just connecting a couple of roads. A gradient of 24.8 %.

[Linked Image]

It was a bit if a grunter...I fell asleep the first three time we watched it and gave up.

Don't know if I memory merged it with running on empty and the master from master blaster in MM3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back