New Z06 vs Nismo GTR

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1/4 mile MPH's don't match the HP ratings. The GT-R, heavier, and with 50 less HP, trapped 2Mph higher. So either it is being under-rated by Nissan, that car is a ringer, or the 'vette isn't putting out its rated power.

Probably all three. Randy Pobst seemed bewildered by how poorly the car handled on the track at the very end of the video. This was supposed to be the GT3 & GTR killer.

The ZO6 is supposed to turn a fast lap, but it's also supposed to be fun and intimidating. The GT-R is just supposed to turn a fast lap, anywhere, any time, with anyone driving. No surprise which one turns the faster lap.

The GT-R gets lap times by balancing raw stats with the easiest possible drivability. Better stats (e.g. less weight, more power) would sacrifice on-the-limit behavior to some extent, which is why almost nothing is quicker than a GT-R in practice. The only way to beat it for sure is with MUCH better stats and a REALLY good driver, hence why it pretty much takes a hypercar or a barely-streetable race-ready car to kill a GT-R on most circuits.

By the same token, see how long the brakes last on the GT-R compared to those of its lighter competitors. More importantly, see how much more fun those lighter cars are in comparison. Everything's a trade-off.

The GT-R is all about the hook up.

From a standing start, it gets its power to the road very efficiently.

Other cars are faster once you are rolling, but not many.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The 1/4 mile MPH's don't match the HP ratings. The GT-R, heavier, and with 50 less HP, trapped 2Mph higher. So either it is being under-rated by Nissan, that car is a ringer, or the 'vette isn't putting out its rated power.

Well, there are plenty of stories of GT-Rs putting out more than the rated power (typical for a turbocharged engine these days), and many stories of ZO6s not being as fast as they should be....

Also, gotta figure aero into the equation.

$90,000 Corvette vs $151,000 GT-R? Some might say you can add $25,000 in mods to beat the GT-R, but its tough to beat AWD.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I hope and pray the GT-R has a proper manual transmission.

That'd be awesome.

Nissan wants it to be the kind of thing that Grandma can get into while half-asleep and turn a fast lap on sheet ice in the middle of a foggy night. As long as that's the case, it'll be 2-pedal only.
frown.gif

The GT-R Nismo holds the 4th fastest lap time ever at the Nurburgring. It's bested only by the Porsche 918 and a pair and Radical SR8's. And it's about 10 seconds faster than the fastest corvette lap ever. For comparison the Pagani Zonda R is about 20 seconds faster than the GT-R. Spec numbers don't always tell the complete story. And for the record I would much rather have a GT-R than a 'vette., any day...

Last edited:
The GT-R has already reached legendary status. This new Vette was just born yesterday. Give it time. That being said, I'll take my Godzilla in Titanium Silver please. All day long.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Well, there are plenty of stories of GT-Rs putting out more than the rated power (typical for a turbocharged engine these days), and many stories of ZO6s not being as fast as they should be....

Also, gotta figure aero into the equation.

That's the thing with MPH though, particular given the weight and HP differences. The Z06 should be cutting a higher MPH than the GT-R, not the other way around if the cited power figures are accurate.

I know. I'm saying:

1. It's not unheard of for GT-Rs to put out more than the quoted horsepower.
2. It's not unheard of for C7 ZO6s to be slower than they should be, given their horsepower.
3. Aero might be limiting the ZO6 at the top end.

Given that, it doesn't surprise me that the GT-R out-trapped the ZO6 here.

Apparently the ZO6's ECU tune is too eager to switch to conservative parameters under hard use: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/10958...t-corvette-z06. Maybe that's what happened here.

Lol the R34 is capable of ripping the (any) vette. The 35 with its launch control is now faster than a 1000cc super sport - takes off and walks away. I'm surprised anyone is surprised at all.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I know. I'm saying:

1. It's not unheard of for GT-Rs to put out more than the quoted horsepower.
2. It's not unheard of for C7 ZO6s to be slower than they should be, given their horsepower.
3. Aero might be limiting the ZO6 at the top end.

Given that, it doesn't surprise me that the GT-R out-trapped the ZO6 here.

Apparently the ZO6's ECU tune is too eager to switch to conservative parameters under hard use: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/10958...t-corvette-z06. Maybe that's what happened here.

Yeah, the only thing I'm thinking is that ~124MPH, Aero shouldn't be limiting it yet. Maybe at 180+, but not in the 120's. I've seen Mustangs with the aerodynamics of a brick trap higher than that with 500-ish HP to the tires.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
No one mentioned that RWD is much more difficult to hook-up than redline and dump the clutch AWD.

That doesn't affect trap though, E/T? Sure. But trap tells the power story and this one doesn't make sense if the cited figures are correct.

Overkill, if you are spinning while moving forward you are not unleashing the beast. Well, you are but its not being propelled.

I agree with you, however, IF you decide to do a standing still burnout right out of the gate.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Overkill, if you are spinning while moving forward you are not unleashing the beast. Well, you are but its not being propelled.

I agree with you, however, IF you decide to do a standing still burnout right out of the gate.

Trap speed is surprisingly consistent (assuming you aren't melting your tires the entire track) whether you 60ft like a champion or spin through the first two gears. We were actually discussing this in another thread recently.

I've not only witnessed this at the track a few times but have managed to do it myself. Don't do a proper burn-out, light them up, hook up after nailing 2nd and cut the same or similar MPH to what I get with a dead-stuck 6K drop out of the gates when it hooked solid. 60ft suffers, E/T suffers, but MPH remains consistent.

That's why MPH (not ET) is a great metric for gauging actual power output, because it doesn't matter if you hook up like a boss (like the GT-R) or have to feather it to launch without a tire fire ('vette), as long as you manage to get traction at some point reasonably early in the run, the MPH will be consistent. Hence my earlier comments. Something is rotten in Denmark and its either the GT-R's power figures or the 'vettes
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back