new Yokohama winter tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well kind of pricey and no UTQG. I'd have to wait some time and get some serious feedback after some folks had say 40 to 60K on some of them. But I like the tread pattern.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Well kind of pricey and no UTQG.

Which winter tires provide a treadwear index?

Why don't they? They should but they bought them selves a loop hole.

the ones you can use in the other 3 seasons as well. My Nokian WR G3 had the treadwear rating of 500.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

the ones you can use in the other 3 seasons as well. My Nokian WR G3 had the treadwear rating of 500.

Right, because it's technically an all-season.
smile.gif

Technically it is a central European winter tire

Sure, but I'm guessing NHTSA has classified this Nokian tire as an all-season and that's why it's required to have a treadwear index rating.

Nokian probably could have had it classified as a strictly winter tire if they wanted to, but that would go against their marketing messaging.

Maybe Nokian thinks that. That is why they are POS in winter.
For example tires that you can find in central Europe are: Sava S3, GY UG 9, Conti TS860 etc. which are much better then a lot of "Nordic" tires (whatever that is).

Last edited:
I think I saw “Central European” and “Nordic” winter tire classification in Scandinavian tire tests.
Nordic are subclassified as friction and studded if my memory serves me well. They seems to map to performance, studless and studded winter tires in the USA.
Studable (studded without studs :) seems to be unknown animal over there.
There is possibility that these names are creations of Google translate.
Sometimes literary translation is not good.
My high school English teacher example:
Naked conductor ran along the train.
English language ambiguity may not be conveyed if the words in target language for a human conductor and a wire are
not the same.

Krzyś

Originally Posted By: edyvw

For example tires that you can find in central Europe are: Sava S3, GY UG 9, Conti TS860 etc. which are much better then a lot of "Nordic" tires (whatever that is).

Apparently you're the expert, and I know nothing about winter tires.

So you should already know the weather conditions that is more typical for central Europe, as a resident yourself.

The Nordic region, such as Sweden, Norway and Finland sees a different winter conditions than typical central European conditions (aka not the mountains, like the Alps, and such), where studded tires (Hakka number series) and their non-studded alternatives (Hakka letters, such as RSI, R, & R2) are used.

The central European conditions certain tire manufacturers view the market as more borderline freezing, with more rain and if when it does snow, transitions to slushy quickly, so the emphasis is more on cold-dry and cold-wet than the sustained cold-snow/packed snow/ice in other regions. These are purely friction "Lamella" tires (which that's what the L in the LM-series for Bridgestone Blizzaks signify).

Nitto has a good video explaining things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TFgM5KJLbI

Now with the All-weather tires, they are targeted to the central Europeans who don't have the luxury of storage space to have 2 sets of wheels to have a 3-season set and a winter set.

So you should already know the weather conditions that is more typical for central Europe, as a resident yourself.

The Nordic region, such as Sweden, Norway and Finland sees a different winter conditions than typical central European conditions (aka not the mountains, like the Alps, and such), where studded tires (Hakka number series) and their non-studded alternatives (Hakka letters, such as RSI, R, & R2) are used.

The central European conditions certain tire manufacturers view the market as more borderline freezing, with more rain and if when it does snow, transitions to slushy quickly, so the emphasis is more on cold-dry and cold-wet than the sustained cold-snow/packed snow/ice in other regions. These are purely friction "Lamella" tires (which that's what the L in the LM-series for Bridgestone Blizzaks signify).

Now with the All-weather tires, they are targeted to the central Europeans who don't have the luxury of storage space to have 2 sets of wheels to have a 3-season set and a winter set.

Maybe I am expert considering nonsense you are constantly putting here.
What is methodology behind "central European" tire? Sava S3 (which I bet you know what I am talking about), Kleber, Debica, Fulda, etc. Continental TS series, GY Ultra Grip (Euro) series are all, to make it easier for you to understand, real winter tires. I had Sava S3, I had GY ultra Grip 5, 6, 7, 7+, I had Continental TS 810, 830 and 850. I would chose any time for worst conditions those tires then Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 (which I have on Tiguan now) or not to mention Nokian WR that I had on BMW 525d and besides Hankook W300 was the worst tire in snow and ice I ever had.
As for driving conditions in Central Europe, I know, I grew up there, lived there until I was 25. When you have 6ft of snow in two days, temperatures going to -42c, etc. is not something that tire manufacturers are neglecting.
This tire you posted here is considered performance tire here and in Central Europe. Maybe it is hard for you to understand that, but then, you drive on Nokian WR.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
I think I saw “Central European” and “Nordic” winter tire classification in Scandinavian tire tests.
Nordic are subclassified as friction and studded if my memory serves me well. They seems to map to performance, studless and studded winter tires in the USA.
Studable (studded without studs :) seems to be unknown animal over there.
There is possibility that these names are creations of Google translate.
Sometimes literary translation is not good.
My high school English teacher example:
Naked conductor ran along the train.
English language ambiguity may not be conveyed if the words in target language for a human conductor and a wire are
not the same.

Krzyś

Those countries allow studs. Roads in Central Europe are cleaned better, it is more urban etc. That does not mean that blizzards etc. are any worse in Nordic countries then in Central Europe. Most of Norway, at least where people live is better to drive in January then Alps or Southern Alps.
But this tire is performance tire here and in Central Europe and in Scandinavia.
Characterizing this tire by UG_Passat as Central European tire is nothing but his opinion, that he developed by looking at European tires on internet.

Maybe I am expert considering nonsense you are constantly putting here.
What is methodology behind "central European" tire? Sava S3 (which I bet you know what I am talking about), Kleber, Debica, Fulda, etc. Continental TS series, GY Ultra Grip (Euro) series are all, to make it easier for you to understand, real winter tires. I had Sava S3, I had GY ultra Grip 5, 6, 7, 7+, I had Continental TS 810, 830 and 850. I would chose any time for worst conditions those tires then Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 (which I have on Tiguan now) or not to mention Nokian WR that I had on BMW 525d and besides Hankook W300 was the worst tire in snow and ice I ever had.
As for driving conditions in Central Europe, I know, I grew up there, lived there until I was 25. When you have 6ft of snow in two days, temperatures going to -42c, etc. is not something that tire manufacturers are neglecting.
This tire you posted here is considered performance tire here and in Central Europe. Maybe it is hard for you to understand that, but then, you drive on Nokian WR.

Maybe consider that I can you use your worst performing tires and have driven through the worst conditions on a FWD car, says a lot more about capability of my winter driving skills, and I don't use poor analogies to prove a point.

Quote:
Maybe consider that I can you use your worst performing tires and have driven through the worst conditions on a FWD car, says a lot more about capability of my winter driving skills, and I don't use poor analogies to prove a point.

Thanx for proving my point that only thing you know about Central Europe is what you saw on youtube.
Iceland Air has good deals to visit Europe, so might serve you well.
The fact that someone has to make an emphasis on FWD during winter, tells a lot about knowledge and skill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back