New Wisconsin law bans oil filters in landfills

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably coming everywhere. I got only 12 miles to our local haz-mat recycling center...not too bad.
What we need is a law that states if you sell a product like oil from a physical store, you need to offer a place to dump it.

Bad idea? Good idea?

When NC banned filters being put in with trash they started providing removeable head drums for filter collection. I just dropped off 5 gallons of used oil and a box of used filters last weekend.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
It's probably coming everywhere. I got only 12 miles to our local haz-mat recycling center...not too bad.
What we need is a law that states if you sell a product like oil from a physical store, you need to offer a place to dump it.

Bad idea? Good idea?

I think it's a great idea, as is a deposit on every unit of oil and filter.

All auto parts stores around here accept used oil (and filters, maybe?) for recycling, so I've never had an issue having my used oil disposed of properly.

Meh, it's an oil filter. You throw it in a plastic trash bag. The trash bag will be in the dump forever, and if you drain the filter before you throw it away I don't see the big deal.

I would continue to throw them away after cutting them open, just like I do now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back